Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #856 of 3,016
with the HDVD800 the IE800 sound rather impressive. Vocals are well pronounced. Great seperation between instruments. Bass wise it's less than on my V200 amp, but still rather upped compared to the HD800. Hard to describe though as my main language isn't English.

Anyway, the hdvd800 does a fine job in amping the ie800s. (using my V800 as dac, haven't tried the build in dac on the hd800s)

Must say the lcd-2 also sound amazing on this amp. (I do have to put it louder than the hd800)

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #857 of 3,016
Anyone increased the gain on the hdvd800s? Did it made a difference in sound?

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #858 of 3,016
Quote:

For now, none of my phone needed that much gain, the default one works for all my phones.
The balance port is much much port powerful compare to the single ended one, so if you need more power, maybe try to get balance for your LCD2?

The gain should be linear for every single level, but that is a big SHOULD. Let me try to find some test and graphic result to confirm.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #859 of 3,016
Quote:
[size=medium]Funny think but I was unable to find the power cord myself and I open two different HDVD 800 boxes and I head to borrow it from my speaker rig. [/size]
[size=medium]I was under the impression that Sen. did not include one.[/size]
[size=medium]I think I read this at page 23-24 on this thread and so I assumed that the reason was to keep the cost low since they thought that we are going to buy an aftermarket power cord anyway.[/size]

Just wanted to provide a brief update. I felt like a complete fool when I re-opened my box and discovered as stated earlier in this thread - the power cord was tucked away in the side packing of the box. Why wasn't this added as a note in the box in addition to the manual....the user manual expressly stated that there was no power cord included in the packaging...geez...anyho very happy with the Audioquest power cord....but would have appreciated a note stating that there is a power cord in the box...try and find it if you can..peek-a-boo....would have added some excitement to the unboxing of the amp....

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #860 of 3,016
Quote:
lol, when you get it, plz post some photos with the system, if they do look very nice, I might get one as well~~~~~~

P.S.
How good is the IE800 on the HDVD800 amp?

Pretty amazing. Was trying it out on earlier this week and was surprised how well the IE800 worked with the HDVD800. I was impressed....

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #861 of 3,016
The HDVA600 I bought didn't come with a power cable. I was surprised to see that.

As for power cables in general, think of it this way, fifteen years ago no one gave any thought to implementing IEC connectors on the back side of equipment. Were we less smart back then than we are now? I don't think so. We've certainly become more greedy though.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #862 of 3,016
Quote:
For now, none of my phone needed that much gain, the default one works for all my phones.
The balance port is much much port powerful compare to the single ended one, so if you need more power, maybe try to get balance for your LCD2?

The gain should be linear for every single level, but that is a big SHOULD. Let me try to find some test and graphic result to confirm.

ordered a balanced cable for the hd800, the cable on my lcd-2 cost me a bit too much to just replace it :x

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #863 of 3,016
Quote:
Well, I guess most of the stuff I got is from small firms with very limited quantity in production. Hence, they have might have no experience to handle customers in larger scale.
Like the guy above mentioned, with small production stuff, they tend to have very limit stuff attach to it. I think to make a special cable just for the product is not worth the money I think for them. (As far as I remember, sennheiser does not do third party cables like beyerdynamic does).

Well, I heard some rumor says that sennheiser is going to put power cord into newly released batches. Guess you should just wait.

What do you mean special cables? I'm pretty sure that the cable that came with my power supply for my PC, with the V200 and with the Mytek are all the same cable.Or at least they look the same and are exactly the same length. The USB cable with the Mytek was a generic white, quite thick USB 2.0 type A to type B cable. No fancy-ness there too. This costs them like €2 or so (probably less) but it gives me a easy way to set things up and the company isn't being a dick by not including standard accessories.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #864 of 3,016
What do you mean special cables? I'm pretty sure that the cable that came with my power supply for my PC, with the V200 and with the Mytek are all the same cable.Or at least they look the same and are exactly the same length. The USB cable with the Mytek was a generic white, quite thick USB 2.0 type A to type B cable. No fancy-ness there too. This costs them like €2 or so (probably less) but it gives me a easy way to set things up and the company isn't being a dick by not including standard accessories.

Well,the special means it carried the logo and look of the product, the more generic the cable goes, the less exclusive it will made ppl feel, hence, they cannot charge you the exclusive price. Besides, I am not a cable guy, so I cannot judge the quality of your power cable. Just bare it in mind, unless you cut it open, you can not tell how good the cable is. My T1 cable looks very normal, but when I cut it open to reterminate it, the build quality inside is actually very very good.

P.S.
You should just wait to confirm that where all these ppl got their HDVD800 with power cord from

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #865 of 3,016
I didn't got power cable with my hdvd800 :frowning2: BUT I did have some spare ones at home so meh.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #866 of 3,016
Thank you for clarifying this. I misted twice.
Quote:
Just wanted to provide a brief update. I felt like a complete fool when I re-opened my box and discovered as stated earlier in this thread - the power cord was tucked away in the side packing of the box. Why wasn't this added as a note in the box in addition to the manual....the user manual expressly stated that there was no power cord included in the packaging...geez...anyho very happy with the Audioquest power cord....but would have appreciated a note stating that there is a power cord in the box...try and find it if you can..peek-a-boo....would have added some excitement to the unboxing of the amp....

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #867 of 3,016
Thank you for clarifying this. I misted twice.
Quote:

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #868 of 3,016
Quote:

My default gain was at 11:00. Sounds really good with the HD800's. The HD 800 sounds better than when amped by my RSA Emmeline Raptor Tubed amp. Solid state can sound good too!

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #869 of 3,016
Does anyone know if the Sennheiser HDVD 800 uses Asynchronous Mode USB Audio? Thanks.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #870 of 3,016
Does anyone know if the Sennheiser HDVD 800 uses Asynchronous Mode USB Audio? Thanks.

It is USB2.0 and it can go 24/192. I am pretty sure it is asynchronous. BTW, why you need to know this anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back