Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #391 of 3,016
Go back and read what I said about the build. Generally good but connectors are poor considering the unbelievably cheeky price tag. It is unacceptable.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #392 of 3,016
i just received a reply from lyric we are now into beginning of march, started in January. wow this better be special. lol im sure it will be worth the wait..

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #393 of 3,016
I'm beginning to wonder whether Sennheiser actually have much faith in this amp themselves.. from all the impressions so far it doesn't appear the HDVD800 is anything particularly special.. I know it makes sense for Sennheiser to advertise it as a good match for all of the higher end HD range but the fact that the HD800 is very different sonically from the HD600/650 makes me doubt.

Then there's the issue of availability; if Sennheiser really wanted to then I'm sure the amp would be widely available by now, it's been long enough since they announced it, so I'm puzzled as to why there aren't more impressions and reviews than the ones we have so far.

The only thing I can imagine that could explain the delay is Sennheiser are still refining the amp or making changes to it, but I don't know if that's really likely.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #394 of 3,016
I listened to HDVD800 shortly today at the HighEnd show in Stockholm http://highendmassan.se/ (I'm in the show team) both with HD800 and HD700. It is a big difference between running the HP SE and balanced. Balanced really opens up the sound while SE sounds more congested and "softer". Running HD800 balanced I noticed some more bass punch but the treble is still exaggerated, maybe to a lesser extent though (I'm not a fan of the HD800 trebly sound, but I still own them).

And stop complaining about availability: HDVD800 and HDVD600 are NOT RELEASED YET (at least not in Europe)! Sennheiser has sold 4 pre-release HDVD800 in Europe. I think they said they will be released in April.

I also listened to a burnt-in HD700 (using HDVD800). While the treble was better than last years pre-production HD700 I listened to (that sounded really soft and un-interesting) they lacked bass. Treble peak, no bass... me no like.

BTW They also told med that amperior is withdrawn, I didn't know that... Momentum sounded OK.

I'm really tired now, and there's another day at the HighEnd show tomorrow (starts in 9 hours actually). And I need to write something about another HP amp that I'm fallen in love with (hint: world premiere...). Good night.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #396 of 3,016
Sorry I'm not familiar w/ the clue you are giving for the other amp. What is it?

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #397 of 3,016
Quote:
Sorry I'm not familiar w/ the clue you are giving for the other amp. What is it?

Bakoon HPA-21 http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/7230#post_9171131

The designer used LCD-3 when developing the amp but also HD650 and HD800 and he reports that the amp sounds excellent with the Senn's.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #398 of 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also listened to a burnt-in HD700 (using HDVD800). While the treble was better than last years pre-production HD700 I listened to (that sounded really soft and un-interesting) they lacked bass. Treble peak, no bass... me no like.

I have to correct myself. Must have been a bass-less recording I listened to or something. Today when I compared HD700 and HD800 the HD700 had a more smiley presentation than HD800. Compared HD700 briefly with HD600 also. HD700 = HD600 with that old fasioned loudness button depressed (and more). Enough about HD700, OT.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #399 of 3,016
Quote:
Interesting,my unit has S/N last digits ...365.The balanced 4 pin connection has a wide soundstage.Received week ago the Cardas clear 1/4 cable and must say that this cable is excellent for this amp.The 4 pin connection does not have as deep soundstage than the 1/4 connection.The Cardas clear cable, i think because how it is build, gives the same wide soundstage than 4 pin connection but it's deeper and punchier .I have used this amp over a month  and what i said earlier is correct,
the amp is very analog like smooth ,dynamic,realistic very detailed and liquid and it's very easy to listen to it for hours .

At the show they had two HD800s connected to the same HDVD800, one using the standard SE cable and the other using a new balanced cable. All agreed that the HD800 with the balanced cable had a much better sound, the sound opens up etc. etc. You have to compensate for the louder volume of course.

I thought that the balanced cable was just a standard SE cable with a 4-pole XLR plug (since the cables look the same), but it turned out it was a completely newly developed balanced cable that Sennheiser will sell separately for approx $300. The designers at Sennheiser have put much effort into this cable.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #400 of 3,016
Hi thinker, I have been following your terrific reviews on HDVD800/HD800 combo and feel you have terrific insight. I am awaiting delivery of the HDVD800 (zzzz..!!). I was intending to connect my HD800 to HDDVD via 4 pin Cardas Clear after your initial comparison of 4 pin vs 1/4 inch plug.

I have enquired with the Cardas distributer here in England (audiofreaks.co.uk) and confirmed that Cardas can supply the HD800 Clear cable with 4 pin termination for about £50.00 extra.

Taking into consideration the improvement that the Clear gave over the 1/4 plug connection in your recent findings, do you think there could be further improvement by applying the 4 pin connection to the Cardas Clear over your Cardas Clear with the 1/4 plug.

I guess I am asking do you feel the improvements are the result of 4 pin vs 1/4 plug, or Cardas Clear vs inferior cable?

looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

cheers

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #401 of 3,016
Sorry thinker , that should have read:

"Taking into consideration the improvement that the Cardas Clear 1/4 plug gave over the 4 pin connection in your recent findings, do you think there could be further improvement by applying the 4 pin connection to the Cardas Clear over your Cardas Clear with the 1/4 plug."

cheers

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #402 of 3,016
Quote:

Bakoon HPA-21 http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/7230#post_9171131

The designer used LCD-3 when developing the amp but also HD650 and HD800 and he reports that the amp sounds excellent with the Senn's.

ME WANTZ

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #403 of 3,016
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #404 of 3,016
Quote:
When i first heard the HDVD -800 amp i preferred clearly the 4 pin connection , i did switch many times between 1/4 and 4 pin with stock cable to find out wich is better .The two connections sound different,the 4 pin connection appears to give wider soundstage but with less dynamics and warmth than 1/4.The Cardas clear 1/4 connection did the same soundstage than Sennheiser stock cable on 4 pin connection wich is enough soundstage for my taste.The landscape of the 1/4 connection is more interesting , the musicians are placed for my taste in more natural way.Cannot answer your question how the Clear would sound on 4 pin connection but it took 2 weeks of intensive listening when i slipped over to prefer the 1/4 connection.When people hear the amp for the first time they will certainly prefer the 4 pin connection it also gives more gain and the feeling of easier driving of HD-800 headphones.All i can say after 1 month of listening  that the HDVD-800-HD-800-Cardas Clear is a dream match.

Thanks I'll definitely order the Clear Cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back