Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 4, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #2,581 of 3,016
  Just bit the bullet and ordered the Sennheiser HDVA600, HD800, and Sennheiser upgraded balanced cables. For the DAC I went with the upgraded Bifrost from schiit. Does anyone have experience in pairing the Schiit Bifrost with the HDVA600? I didn't want to break the bank more than I already did, but would this be lacking in the DAC department or will it be perfect?

Yes, I owned the Uber BiFrost - HDVA600 - CH800S - HD800 rig for awhile.  The sound was great!  The Uber Bifrost is a solid DAC and the HDVA600 is a good amp pairing for the HD800 cans. You will like the sound.  I recently sold my BiFrost and replaced it with the Gungnir, just because I decided to go a fully balanced system.

Enjoy the music!
Cheers,
RCB

May 5, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,582 of 3,016
I have the Bifrost Uber. Do you think the balanced Gungnir sounds better? Bigger soundstage. More enjoyable?

May 5, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,583 of 3,016
I do think the balanced sound is better.  More open and detailed, and a lower floor.  The Gungnir is super quiet and detailed.  I never did a real A/B between the UberB and the Gungnir.  However, before I sold my A2/B stack, I hooked them up with USB feed thru my new Wyrd and was amazed at how good the sound was - all SE connections driving my LCD-X.  Net - the A2/B stack is very decent equipment for around $800 or so.  The G/M stack is a step up with fully balanced hook-ups and more power.  The G/M stack drives the LCD-X/XC cans better.  However, I recently heard the Y/R stack at the Music City meet.  They blow away the G/M.  However, we always have to keep the wallet in consideration.
 - A2/B ~ $800
 - G/M ~ $1600
 - Y/R ~ $5000
A big difference.

No matter which level you are at, never forget to be happy and,
Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

May 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #2,584 of 3,016
  I do think the balanced sound is better.  More open and detailed, and a lower floor.  The Gungnir is super quiet and detailed.  I never did a real A/B between the UberB and the Gungnir.  However, before I sold my A2/B stack, I hooked them up with USB feed thru my new Wyrd and was amazed at how good the sound was - all SE connections driving my LCD-X.  Net - the A2/B stack is very decent equipment for around $800 or so.  The G/M stack is a step up with fully balanced hook-ups and more power.  The G/M stack drives the LCD-X/XC cans better.  However, I recently heard the Y/R stack at the Music City meet.  They blow away the G/M.  However, we always have to keep the wallet in consideration.
 - A2/B ~ $800
 - G/M ~ $1600
 - Y/R ~ $5000
A big difference.

No matter which level you are at, never forget to be happy and,
Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

RC, what other headsets would you recommend with the HDVA? I went ahead and bought the Gungnir, HDVA600, CH 800 S, and Balanced XLR cables. It's sounding fantastic so far, but I wish there was a way to have the headphones sound "warmer". I compared to the HE 560 I have and it surprising sounded amazing with the HDVA amp. HD800 beat it with soundstage/detail. But there was a certain warmness to the HE 560 that added "feel" to the pieces I listened to instead of mechanics.

I love the HD800's for big orchestral pieces and highly polyphonic music, but I would love something with a warmer midrage/treble. Perhaps an additional headset?! :D

May 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,585 of 3,016

RC, what other headsets would you recommend with the HDVA? I went ahead and bought the Gungnir, HDVA600, CH 800 S, and Balanced XLR cables. It's sounding fantastic so far, but I wish there was a way to have the headphones sound "warmer". I compared to the HE 560 I have and it surprising sounded amazing with the HDVA amp. HD800 beat it with soundstage/detail. But there was a certain warmness to the HE 560 that added "feel" to the pieces I listened to instead of mechanics.

I love the HD800's for big orchestral pieces and highly polyphonic music, but I would love something with a warmer midrage/treble. Perhaps an additional headset?! :D

I understand your frustration.  You invested a large amount of capital in your rig - and it's a great rig - and now the sound is a bit too bright for some of your music.  Here are a couple of ideas:

Two ideas in which I don't have any personal experience, only Head-Fi comments):

1. After-market mod the HD800.  You can find details on the HD800 Appreciation thread.  Looks pretty easy - just adding some foam inserts at strategic locations inside the ear cup.  There are pictures and a lot of discussion on that thread.  I believe these mods are intended to reduce the "brightness" of the base HD800 sound.

2. Like you already suggested, change HP's.  Along with the HE560 that you mentioned, others that come to mind are the HD600/650 or the HD700 that's come down quite a bit in price.  At the Music City meet, a month ago (there's a thread) there were favorable comments about the HD700 cans being warmer when compared to the HD800.  Just note that the output impedance of the HDVA600 is quite high, for a head phone amp, so pairing with higher-impedance cans would make sense.

You can also adjust the gain on the HDVA600, but I'm not sure that will satisfy your need for great sound.

Personally, I have two rigs, both fed from the Gungnir (which I love).  Warmer:  Mjolnir --> LCD-X/XC.  Cooler:  HDVA600 --> HD800.  I use these for different types of music.  The Audez'e sound, in particular the X, is warm when compared to the HD800 while still being very resolving.  You can also consider the LCD-2 that is a real bargain at around US$1000.  The XC have a warmer sound than the HD800, cooler than the X, and they are closed.  If possible, audition all the LCD cans.

Note:  The X/XC do not pair well with the HDVA600, IMO, possibly due to their low impedance of 22 ohms.  I never listen to my LCD-X/XC with the HDVA600.  It's possible that the LCD-2 may pair better with the HDVA600 as they have somewhat higher impedance than the X/XC.  However, the HDVA600 was designed to drive the HD800 that have an impedance of 300 ohms.

Hope this helps,
RCBinTN

May 6, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #2,586 of 3,016
The mods work but at a cost to stage and timbre
Since this computer audio just play with the digital eq in jriver or what ever player you use. Why most will not use eq is beyond me. Don't mod eq. Also changing head ones to a lcd something is fine too. But my first idea is free and cN be molded to what you like
Just a thought. And post results for others to read it helps

May 6, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,587 of 3,016

I understand your frustration.  You invested a large amount of capital in your rig - and it's a great rig - and now the sound is a bit too bright for some of your music.  Here are a couple of ideas:

Two ideas in which I don't have any personal experience, only Head-Fi comments):

1. After-market mod the HD800.  You can find details on the HD800 Appreciation thread.  Looks pretty easy - just adding some foam inserts at strategic locations inside the ear cup.  There are pictures and a lot of discussion on that thread.  I believe these mods are intended to reduce the "brightness" of the base HD800 sound.

2. Like you already suggested, change HP's.  Along with the HE560 that you mentioned, others that come to mind are the HD600/650 or the HD700 that's come down quite a bit in price.  At the Music City meet, a month ago (there's a thread) there were favorable comments about the HD700 cans being warmer when compared to the HD800.  Just note that the output impedance of the HDVA600 is quite high, for a head phone amp, so pairing with higher-impedance cans would make sense.

You can also adjust the gain on the HDVA600, but I'm not sure that will satisfy your need for great sound.

Personally, I have two rigs, both fed from the Gungnir (which I love).  Warmer:  Mjolnir --> LCD-X/XC.  Cooler:  HDVA600 --> HD800.  I use these for different types of music.  The Audez'e sound, in particular the X, is warm when compared to the HD800 while still being very resolving.  You can also consider the LCD-2 that is a real bargain at around US$1000.  The XC have a warmer sound than the HD800, cooler than the X, and they are closed.  If possible, audition all the LCD cans.

Note:  The X/XC do not pair well with the HDVA600, IMO, possibly due to their low impedance of 22 ohms.  I never listen to my LCD-X/XC with the HDVA600.  It's possible that the LCD-2 may pair better with the HDVA600 as they have somewhat higher impedance than the X/XC.  However, the HDVA600 was designed to drive the HD800 that have an impedance of 300 ohms.

Hope this helps,
RCBinTN

Thanks for the reply,

I went ahead and bought a Fostex TH900 (thus effectively killing my wallet). My HD800's are new and I'm hoping after some hours of playing they will taper off a bit. I'm already starting to develop a deep level of appreciation for them. Some pieces sound spectacular. The TH900 is for music that I want to be more colored or if I want to be a basshead.

My only concern is the TH900 pairing with the HDVA600. I know the TH900 are said to be incredibly easy to drive and I'm assuming with an AMP of this caliber it would only improve upon its soundstage and become a little more crisp given that it will be paired with a SS amp designed around crisp/detailed sound....but one can only guess.

May 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,589 of 3,016

Thanks for the reply,

I went ahead and bought a Fostex TH900 (thus effectively killing my wallet). My HD800's are new and I'm hoping after some hours of playing they will taper off a bit. I'm already starting to develop a deep level of appreciation for them. Some pieces sound spectacular. The TH900 is for music that I want to be more colored or if I want to be a basshead.

My only concern is the TH900 pairing with the HDVA600. I know the TH900 are said to be incredibly easy to drive and I'm assuming with an AMP of this caliber it would only improve upon its soundstage and become a little more crisp given that it will be paired with a SS amp designed around crisp/detailed sound....but one can only guess.

Wow!  Quite a nice inventory you are building!  Hope you like the TH900 sound with the HDVA600.

May 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,590 of 3,016
Thanks for the reply,

I would be SO INTERESTED in hearing how well the HDVA 600 works with the TH900. Unlike the HD 800, which has a 300 ohm impedance or more at some frequencies, the TH 900 has a 25 ohm op impedance. The HDVA 600 is aimed at that 300 ohm impedance of the HD 800 and at 43 ohms output impedance (or at 20 ohms single ended, 40 ohms balanced, according to some), it violates the rule that headphone amp impedance should be no more than 1/8 headphone input impedance.

Ok, so what? What are the sound quality implications of that violation?

Hence, I am very interested in how you find the HDVA 600 works for your TH 900.

May 7, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,591 of 3,016
I would be SO INTERESTED in hearing how well the HDVA 600 works with the TH900. Unlike the HD 800, which has a 300 ohm impedance or more at some frequencies, the TH 900 has a 25 ohm op impedance. The HDVA 600 is aimed at that 300 ohm impedance of the HD 800 and at 43 ohms output impedance (or at 20 ohms single ended, 40 ohms balanced, according to some), it violates the rule that headphone amp impedance should be no more than 1/8 headphone input impedance.

Ok, so what? What are the sound quality implications of that violation?

Hence, I am very interested in how you find the HDVA 600 works for your TH 900.

I've turned the HDVA600 gain all the way down. i'll have the headphones in the mail tomorrow and will post an update shortly after...crossing my fingers.

May 8, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #2,592 of 3,016
The th900 is fine on the hdvd800. I have a friend who owns one and was over my home for a mini meet.
We played various music for over three hours. Multiple amps as well.
A Hugo
A ak240
A hdvd800 as amp only
A woo wa 5
And several dacs were used.
Conclusion the head ones are close to the performance of the hd800. And a closed can. Although the hd800 are a clear winner for us the cans are damn good. And about 85 percent of the hd800. Also consider they are closed. They did have a more low end not bloated but the can was voiced for some additional boom for sure. But again a very good can
We used it SE as that's all he had. So the rule is not s rule but a concept that need not apply to all headphones.
Hope this helps.

May 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,593 of 3,016
Alright I've paired the Fostex TH900 with the HDVA600 set to low gain. The DAC used is Schiit Gungnir. I Immediately noticed that there was the same unnatural brightness on the treble in the TH900 that existed in the HD800. The fostex sound good, but I don't believe the AMP matches up well with it. It seems that whenever the "s" sound occurs in either headphone it is overdone and hurts my ears a little bit. In other words, high frequencies are very apparent in the TH900 when matched with the HDVA. It's too bright for my taste in either headphone. I wonder if maybe the HDVA600 and gungir don't match up or if it's just the Senn amp.

edit: had a couple friends of mine listen and each of them commented afterwards on how "bright" the sound was on certain frequencies.

May 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,594 of 3,016
It's not the amp. It's synergy of the dac and amp. If the hd800 sounds wrong it's fine to normal for the fost x to be wrong. The pair matched well for both of the headphones
Sorry for your dismay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back