Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,311 of 3,016
There was a time when I would like to know from someone I trusted that what I was using was a good example. But that time has passed. If it's music to you ears then it is. This hobby is filled with what is good and what is not. But as I do the same its sure nice just relax and enjoy.
Al

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,312 of 3,016
The output impedance of the SE-out of the Senn amp is 16ohm if I'm not mistaken, 43ohm is the output impedance of the XLR-out. So if your Grado is plugged to the SE-out, then the damping factor should not be too much of a problem.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,313 of 3,016
The output impedance of the SE-out of the Senn amp is 16ohm if I'm not mistaken, 43ohm is the output impedance of the XLR-out. So if your Grado is plugged to the SE-out, then the damping factor should not be too much of a problem.
thanks... I didn't know that. It was indeed the SE Output.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,315 of 3,016
Would you be so kind as to show a pic of the mod ? I am assuming there was a out put resister you eliminated ?

Please post pics and a diagram if need be. And thanks. Lastly how did effect the hd800 sound or did it at all.
Al

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #2,317 of 3,016
The single ended is 43 ohms output impedance,and the balanced x2 20 ohms, making 40 in total.

I have opened, measured and modified mine. Now mine has 10 ohms single ended and 20 ohms balanced on the left connectors of each type.

And no stability issues with the chip amp? 

How's the sound with HD800?

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #2,318 of 3,016
Hello,

I am new to this thread and have a question.  Sorry if this has already been covered, I appreciate your help.

I am considering the following rig:  computer USB --> Schiit Gungnir --> Balanced --> HDVA 600 --> Balanced or Unbalanced --> LCD-X/XC.
I have read comments about the HDVD 800, that's why I am considering a separate DAC and HDVA 600.
  - If I use a balanced input from the DAC to the amp, can I still run unbalanced 1/4" from the amp to the HP's without significant loss of quality?
  - I have experience with the Schiit Bifrost DAC but not the Gungnir.  I chose the Gungnir because it's balanced to feed the HDVA 600.
  - I like the ability of the HDVA 600 to drive multiple HP's at the same time.  That is a need for my system.
  - I am considering other amps like the Taurus MK2 and Bryston BHA-1.
  - I have only low-impedance Audeze cans, but may look to add the HD 800 in the future.

I enjoy all types of music.  Not a bass head.  I like Zeppelin and also wide sound-stages for jazz and classical recordings.

Thanks All for your help -

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,320 of 3,016
Oct 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2,321 of 3,016
  Hello,

I am new to this thread and have a question.  Sorry if this has already been covered, I appreciate your help.

I am considering the following rig:  computer USB --> Schiit Gungnir --> Balanced --> HDVA 600 --> Balanced or Unbalanced --> LCD-X/XC.
I have read comments about the HDVD 800, that's why I am considering a separate DAC and HDVA 600.
  - If I use a balanced input from the DAC to the amp, can I still run unbalanced 1/4" from the amp to the HP's without significant loss of quality?
  - I have experience with the Schiit Bifrost DAC but not the Gungnir.  I chose the Gungnir because it's balanced to feed the HDVA 600.
  - I like the ability of the HDVA 600 to drive multiple HP's at the same time.  That is a need for my system.
  - I am considering other amps like the Taurus MK2 and Bryston BHA-1.
  - I have only low-impedance Audeze cans, but may look to add the HD 800 in the future.

I enjoy all types of music.  Not a bass head.  I like Zeppelin and also wide sound-stages for jazz and classical recordings.

Thanks All for your help -

Cheers,
RCBinTN

First: For SE out this amp is not worth it.

Second: It has no issues driving two hp-s at the same time, confirmed with two bal HD800s hooked to my amp vs one, no difference at all.

Third: It does wonders to HD800 or HD650 or probably any hi-z can, but i personally did not like how HE-400 souned of it, it had muddy bass from it, it was from SE out. That is the only planar i have heard, unfortunatelly. Some have said they like LCD2 or LCD-X out of HDVA though.

With HD650 or HD800 this amp sounds rally good. Comparing to other SS amps i have heard with these cans the most noticeable to me is how voices and midrange instruments are more meaty and lively, more lifelike. It has nice head-stage aswell. More 3D, more depth than some competitors. I haven't heard Taurus nor Bryston.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2,323 of 3,016
I have tried this amp ona bout ten headphones both SEE and bal. It's fine with all,of them. . The hd800 and three others from senn also fostex , also lcd x and lcd 3 also a mother higpfimam. And the abyss as well. It works fine with any headphone I tried . Both se and bal. The only hong I have not tried is any CIEM,s I own. The amp,is really neutral so whatever goes in comes out .
Al

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,325 of 3,016
Do you own one ,mdp you use one. Why the issue it sounds great .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back