Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #556 of 3,016
Quote:
any eta on the review Frank and how it would compare to the V200

The review wont be until middle of June. I am still getting acquainted with the unit and should have it done before the end of June. I have the amp for 30 days and then I will start to write it. I have not compared it directly to the V200 as I am still in the early stage of listening but it will be compared to the V200,WA7 and the taboo Mk111.

May 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #557 of 3,016
Quote:
The review wont be until middle of June. I am still getting acquainted with the unit and should have it done before the end of June. I have the amp for 30 days and then I will start to write it. I have not compared it directly to the V200 as I am still in the early stage of listening but it will be compared to the V200,WA7 and the taboo Mk111.

Are you going to make us wait for the review before sharing? 
size]

May 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #559 of 3,016
This has messed me right up. Was planning to get the Luxman p700u. Should I get this or the Luxman.

May 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #561 of 3,016
So I went out and bought a HDVD 800 yesterday. These are still only early impressions as I've only listened ~6hrs with the HD 800, 1hr with the LCD-2 and ~30mins with the Momentum. I haven't connected the V800 or anything to it yet to compare the internal dac and it, but as a complete system dac+amp the HDVD 800 clearly sounds better to me than the V200+V800 combo or Auditor+V800 combo. I preferred the HDVD 800 sound with all three headphones over what I've heard from any of the other combos, so as a complete system I think the HDVD 800 should be something for more than just HD 800 owners. Whatever the output impedance on the amp is, it's pretty low as there's no hum or hiss from the 18 ohm Momentums, which did get some pretty bad humming with the Auditor and also a wonky frequency response as a result of the low dampening factor.

The sound coming from the HDVD 800 is neutral and precise. There's no warmth added, so if you find the HD 800 to sound too cold this isn't going to change things. What the HDVD 800 does have though is very high resolution and I can't help falling back on the word "precision". Everything just sounds very precise and correct. The way I was used to the HD 800 sounding just feels a bit muddy in comparison to this. I remember Tyll Hertsens saying that the HD 800 sound like a scientific instrument, and this is the impression I'm getting from this pairing. I like how it's making the HD 800 sound, as it feels like they're playing to the strengths of the headphones.

So my first impressions are very positive so far. Granted, my frame of reference is limited as I haven't heard the Bryston bha-1 for example. But compared to what I had before it's a clear step up in quality, and I don't even have a balanced cable yet.

May 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #562 of 3,016
Quote:
not much mate, good value for money definitely has to be the Merlin Tarantula standard kettle lead or Tarantula SE. Then up to Audioquest NRG then LAT AC2. ranging from 40 up to 160 I believe.

regards

Cheers will catch up with you next week after the hols.

May 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #563 of 3,016
Quote:
The prices of these cables seem pretty steep. 250 quid is pretty serious for a headphone cable. What do you guys think?

The prices, I think are unfortunate. Sennheiser is just trying to milk money out at this point. It looks like the HD650 cable is just the stock cable with a 4 pin XLR on the end. You could do the same for like 30USD. It couldn't cost them much more than 15USD to make that. 

Same logic could apply to the HD800 cable. Pretty heft mark-ups here.

Quote:
General consensus at the London meet was that it does make a difference.

I believe the consensus was using a balanced connection improved the sound quality (as it should, since it's using a balanced amplifier), over the standard single ended connection (which uses a single ended amplifier).

May 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #564 of 3,016
Quote:
So I went out and bought a HDVD 800 yesterday. These are still only early impressions as I've only listened ~6hrs with the HD 800, 1hr with the LCD-2 and ~30mins with the Momentum. I haven't connected the V800 or anything to it yet to compare the internal dac and it, but as a complete system dac+amp the HDVD 800 clearly sounds better to me than the V200+V800 combo or Auditor+V800 combo. I preferred the HDVD 800 sound with all three headphones over what I've heard from any of the other combos, so as a complete system I think the HDVD 800 should be something for more than just HD 800 owners. Whatever the output impedance on the amp is, it's pretty low as there's no hum or hiss from the 18 ohm Momentums, which did get some pretty bad humming with the Auditor and also a wonky frequency response as a result of the low dampening factor.

The sound coming from the HDVD 800 is neutral and precise. There's no warmth added, so if you find the HD 800 to sound too cold this isn't going to change things. What the HDVD 800 does have though is very high resolution and I can't help falling back on the word "precision". Everything just sounds very precise and correct. The way I was used to the HD 800 sounding just feels a bit muddy in comparison to this. I remember Tyll Hertsens saying that the HD 800 sound like a scientific instrument, and this is the impression I'm getting from this pairing. I like how it's making the HD 800 sound, as it feels like they're playing to the strengths of the headphones.

So my first impressions are very positive so far. Granted, my frame of reference is limited as I haven't heard the Bryston bha-1 for example. But compared to what I had before it's a clear step up in quality, and I don't even have a balanced cable yet.

I believe the impedance is 16 ohms from what I have seen on some sites that have measurements. What i am trying to find out  what type of op amps were used it appear there are 4 opamp because I see them in the glass top so I don't think this design is discrete transistors and no place does it say what the power is. it is powerful but no power numbers I can find. I need to get more information from Sennheiser but not getting what I asked for so far. I am using different cans and they all work well,

May 5, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #565 of 3,016
Quote:

Your early impressions are very similar to mine. I have been running my unit now for 350 hours and the sound has really smoothed out and the sound is stage has settled - and one really does get the impression that "scientifically" speaking this is how the music is meant to be. I am running the Cardas Clear balanced cable and I really can't express enough to the step up I have gained from the balanced output - If you feel you've stepped up the sound quality on the 1/4", just wait till your ears get a load of what comes out of the balanced output!!!!!!    :)

May 5, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #566 of 3,016
Quote:
The prices of these cables seem pretty steep. 250 quid is pretty serious for a headphone cable. What do you guys think?

Yes the prices are really steep that's for sure. My Cardas Clear Balanced cable cost £650.00, but having said that, and it sounds absolutely astounding. I wish I could have made it to the London meet and brought it along. And would be great to compare it to Sennheiser's new balanced cable. Compared to the stock cable 1/4", it sounds very very different - there's more bass presence, but not in a "blooming" way but in a precise detailed way, and it smooths out the top end. When I listen to the stock 1/4" it seems almost unlistenable in comparison. 

May 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #567 of 3,016
Quote:

My Cardas Clear Balanced cable cost £650.00, 

My God !! that is expensive - all of a sudden the sennheiser one seems quite reasonable 
confused_face.gif

May 5, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #568 of 3,016
I quite like the build of the stock HD800 cable with it's cotton sheath but I doubt it's worth more than 50 quid. Now, if this new 4-pin cable is in fact the same wire with a different connector, then it isn't worth the price difference. Something along the lines of Black dragon would be a better choice I think.

Now, I do have amplifiers with both types of connectors and I'd always take two 3-pin connectors over a single 4-pin one but in the case of Sennheiser amplifiers your choices are limited. 

May 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #570 of 3,016
I agree with fatwombat's opinion of the Cardas: I only have the single-ended cable (ie, to 1/4" jack) and it delivers a fuller but at the same time better bass, and a smoother but still very detailed treble, compared to the stock cable. If I end up buying an HDVA600 I expect I'll go for the Cardas balanced cable. I still have reservations about the "cold" character of the HDVA800 though. Despite the tremendous resolution and soundstage I found it wearing to listen to. I'm hoping that balanced operation will result in improvements in that area, and perhaps the HDVA600 (without all the digitial circuitry) will also sound better. 

I'd like to see what others think of the HDVA800/600 + HD800 combinaiton in balanced vs single ended operation, with a detailed assessment of the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back