Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #121 of 163
Anybody has a problem that HDV 820's built-in dac cannot play dxd files on OSX? In fact it can play songs but with hiss. The albums I tried are Wild Man Blues (Plays Louis Armstrong) and Carmen Gomes Don't You Cry. Both are 24/352.8.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #122 of 163
Something unexpected happened with the HDV820 in balanced mode. My gaming audio got way better. Sounds were more detailed, punchy and visceral and the staging was hugely enhanced! I could pinpoint sounds and directions of objects making noise in the game much more easily than when I was using 800S + Burson. Gears of war 4 was super impressive sounding detailed but still punchy and heavy at the same time!

I never expected my gaming audio to get so much better!

Hello!
I have an AE-9 powering my HD800S and I was wondering if I would notice any improvement if I get an HDV820. I would set optical out of the AE-9 (with surround) to the HDV820. Is it how you've done with your rig?

Thank you.

May 30, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #123 of 163
Although I never used the soundblaster ae9 I would imagine a huge improvement going to an external system like the hdv820. Its a great amp/dac and pairs amazingly with the 800S.

I have moved on from it but if I need a smaller easier to move solution I absolutely would stay with it.

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #125 of 163
A quick question: when using any of the three Sennheiser amps with balanced phones, do you hear a difference between using the XLR or RCA inputs?
The big surprise for me on HDV820 was the that the RCA input sounded better than the XLR input when using balanced XLR / 4.4mm output on any headphone I tried. Using AQ Sky RCA and AQ Carbon XLR interconnects from same DAC. Sound is a bit softer and slightly less impactful on XLR (BAL), but livelier, a bit louder and more ‘fleshed out’ on RCA (UNBAL). Gain switch set at ‘appropriate level’. My reference track for gain setting is Radiohead - Meeting in the Aisle (24/96), which has some pops / crackles when gain switch is set too high. Oddly, that is the only track that does that in music I listened to in the past 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #126 of 163
theres just one little problem with the hdvd 820 ... it aint as pretty as the hdvd 800 .. and pretty makes it sound a whole lot better 💋👙🎩 .. no way would i swap my hdvd 800 for that ..
Agree with you completely. HDVD800 is prettier. My gripe with HDV820 is that Sennheiser made it aesthetically less pleasing than HDVD800, e.g. the source input selector and volume knob are nicer on HDVD800; the blue lighting on the HDVD800 is nicer that the white lighting on the HDV820; the ‘peeking window’ on the HDVD800 is oh so nice, especially at night, which the HDV820 does not have. Those issue aside, I’m happy with HDV820, especially where it counts most, the sound.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #127 of 163
I've paired the hdv820 with the sennheiser 800s headphones. Its such a huge step up from the psaudiosprout100. I mostly use it for Netflix. The scenes feel alive. The clarity and Soundstage contribute so much that I understand and feel what is happening in the scenes even if my eyes closed.

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #131 of 163
Hello!
I have an AE-9 powering my HD800S and I was wondering if I would notice any improvement if I get an HDV820. I would set optical out of the AE-9 (with surround) to the HDV820. Is it how you've done with your rig?

Thank you.
Did you ever purchase the HDV820? I have the AE-9 myself and use with IEM's 18ohm and HD800S and pretty happy. Big difference in power requiremenst between the two though but sufficient to get good loud volume without distortion or clipping on the HD800S.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #132 of 163
Thank you.

I suggest caution requiring the computer's system requirements, which do not appear to have been updated recently, at least for Macintosh computers. It is also not clear to me what type of connection to the computer is recommended for this process.
Mine already had the latest update since I bought it used.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #134 of 163
Anyone using separate external dac to pair with HDV820? Heard some good things with Chord Hugo2 / Qutest pairing.

I'm using RME ADI-2 DAC fs for the moment. I fint it pretty perfect HDV800 and with the parameter EQ I have set up for HD800S. Though, I find the DAC inside HDV820 pretty good. If I then need som tweaking I use (P)EQ and/or convolution filters in Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back