Sennheiser HD820
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #4,308 of 4,369
the HD820 aren't made for such musics, they lack "oumph" factor, hard to describe.
HD 820 are never described as headphones with slam bass. They have an excellent bass response but not slam.
I don't believe that headphones are made exclusively for specific genres. People are different from each other but then blame headphones while it's them.

If I listen to death metal, I might enjoy listening to HD 820. I do listen to Iron Maiden or Motorhead, for example.

Ok, I know it's not the same, but I love to listen to them with HD 820 and D8000.

HD 820 have other great attributes that you can't find (at least not at that amount) in other headphones that I've tried or have.

What made you buy them if you like extensive bass, and that's the only thing that matters when you listen to the music you love to listen to?

As you've already recommended, MDR Z1R, Final D8000 might be even better for what you want, or Fostex TH900mk2... or Monoprice Monolith and other headphones with a greater bass impact than HD 820. You just made a false turn. Instead of turning to the left, you turned to the right side. :)

Cheers!

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,309 of 4,369
HD 820 are never described as headphones with slam bass. They have an excellent bass response but not slam.
I don't believe that headphones are made exclusively for specific genres. People are different from each other but then blame headphones while it's them.

If I listen to death metal, I might enjoy listening to HD 820. I do listen to Iron Maiden or Motorhead, for example.

Ok, I know it's not the same, but I love to listen to them with HD 820 and D8000.

HD 820 have other great attributes that you can't find (at least not at that amount) in other headphones that I've tried or have.

What made you buy them if you like extensive bass, and that's the only thing that matters when you listen to the music you love to listen to?

As you've already recommended, MDR Z1R, Final D8000 might be even better for what you want, or Fostex TH900mk2... or Monoprice Monolith and other headphones with a greater bass impact than HD 820. You just made a false turn. Instead of turning to the left, you turned to the right side. :)

Cheers!
Hi friend

Well, I wanted to have a different experience, as I listen to ALL kind of music, and have been enjoyed my TH900MK2 for a long time. The HD820 sounded wonderfull on many things, with my iDSD pro signature. But as my life changed, and I can only listen to music late at night, at that time, I don't listen to "cool" music, but only Insomnium, Woflheart etc etc.

I will keep only my in ear moulded intra heaphone, the Noosa, as they are at ease with everything. I'm moving away from all full size headphone:)

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,310 of 4,369
I will keep only my in ear moulded intra heaphone, the Noosa, as they are at ease with everything. I'm moving away from all full size headphone:)
I am starting to discover IEMs lately. I had some lower-end IEMs and was sceptical of how good they could be.
I recently bought the DUNU Falcon Ultra and already saw what's coming. :)
It seems that they are my new addiction :)
Thanks for the info for the Alambic ears...

Good luck...I hope that I will be able to push some speakers to the proper volume in the future.
But at the moment,...still pushing the volume with headphones...and IEMs :)

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Cheers!

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #4,311 of 4,369
On my side, one month of intense testing, I give up. I've drop my HD820 on sell. I tend to listen too much to death metal when I can finally sit at my desk, and despite tweaking, the HD820 aren't made for such musics, they lack "oumph" factor, hard to describe.
I agree the 820 are not for those wanting bass slam/impact. You should explore Audiotechnica wp900, Denon 9200, Stellia, campfire cascade.

However the 820 do bass separation very well probably best I have ever heard for a dynamic driver plus their high impededence make them ideal for tubes. On tubes the bass fills in quite a bit and you get a fuller more romantic sound while still preserving some the technicalities that hd820 is known for.

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,312 of 4,369
I tend to listen too much to death metal when I can finally sit at my desk, and despite tweaking, the HD820 aren't made for such musics, they lack "oumph" factor, hard to describe.
As I noted earlier the HD820 produces what I call an immersive bass although if it's on the recording as in percussive instruments it IMHO indeed will reproduce the leading edge and percussive force, slam.

Has anyone tried the blu tack mod to tighten the bass? it seemed to have reduced the mid bass and make it less boomy and decays faster i think.
Do you have this problem with all recordings?

Have to agree with fidgeraldo on this one.
But being old school, probably very old school by some, I probably have a very high tolerance as to what to expect and accept that not all recordings are created equal and appreciate each for what they are without resorting to EQ to bring things in line with with preconceived expectations or personal tastes.

Again agreeing with fidgeraldo.
This is especially true of the old school manufacturers who also specialize in professional recording equipment...Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, etc....although they do produce some headphones to appease the masses just not their higher end models.

Seriously though, not sure how much more "oumph" one can pull out of a track like this.:)
https://tidal.com/browse/track/123270324
Screen Shot 2023-12-25 at 11.42.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #4,313 of 4,369
But being old school, probably very old school by some, I probably have a very high tolerance as to what to expect and accept that not all recordings are created equal and appreciate each for what they are without resorting to EQ to bring things in line with with preconceived expectations or personal tastes.
Being old school today, or on the forum, probably means I can adapt, I am open to, I don't like uniformity...etc.
I don't perceive music as something that must be listened to in a certain way. Metal, D&B...or any sort of music...
I can wake up today and enjoy slam until my ears blow...tomorrow not.

That rule doesn't apply to me. I am not doing things because everyone is.
Those are all trends; I don't follow trends.

Something that really makes me laugh is when people write comments about some music and say:
"It's 30 years old, and it's still fresh and good as it was then", and similar stuff. Really, why it shouldn't be?

What...Mozart's music is 270 years old, and it's relevant and will be forever. Are those people shocked as well :)

There is a looooot of generalization and misunderstandings.

No one says that any headphones are for everyone. And that's the only rule.

Cheers! :)

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #4,314 of 4,369
Being old school today, or on the forum, probably means I can adapt, I am open to, I don't like uniformity...etc.
I don't perceive music as something that must be listened to in a certain way.
Being old school for be me is having the opportunity to listen to music on anything and be happy. :)
Obviously there's good and bad gear, great and lousy recordings, but that's life, remember it is all about the music, be happy and a very Merry Xmas to all. :deer::deer::deer::christmas_tree:🤶🎅🥂🍻🍼

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #4,315 of 4,369
I am starting to discover IEMs lately. I had some lower-end IEMs and was sceptical of how good they could be.
I went down that road and quite enjoyed my Sennheier IE800, produced quite the wall of sound, and yes really good sound can be had even on the much cheaper iems but due to bone conduction on every pair I wore I eventually stopped using any iem. : (

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #4,316 of 4,369
Posted this once before.....HD800S Vs HD820, from a seniors point of view. : )
Hmm, seniors' point of view.:beerchug:

Ok...so you posted the clip because they confirmed what I encountered; it seems like I am a good observer :)

I thought it might be the opposite :)

It wasn't only the case with "Tina"...it was the same with Roy Hargrove, and they mentioned Louis Armstrong.

The choice of music they picked for each pair of headphones is interesting. I would probably go a different route, but when you think about it, it makes complete sense (besides classical music, I would add electronic music for HD 820 as excellent, too).

And now the other thing. I wanted to repeat listening to the same CDs...because I wanted to see if it happens the same with another amp and because they said something at the beginning of the video. Impedance match. I remembered I had the amp's impedance set on mid for other headphones.
I changed it to high this time because of the 300 Ohm headphones.

The thing is that I already noticed the difference with another amp (Burson Conductor). Tina's voice was sharp; it was high, but it wasn't piercing this time.
And I listened to it before watching the video.

Later, I changed the impedance on Auris, and it was different again.
The voice was again sharp; it was high but not piercing.

The conclusion is that I was too hasty when I wrote that it's almost impossible to listen to high voices on HD 820, even though the couple confirmed my experience.

There are other factors, too. Perhaps I was more sensitive that day for some reason; perhaps the amp did the thing, or maybe the new cables I installed did something. The thing is that these two headphones are different. But there are more combinations to include in the final result.

But I agree with what they say about CDs. I am almost in the same boat...I still haven't found anything that suits me better. Listening to CDs is something else.

Of course, the ones that are well recorded.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #4,317 of 4,369
Hmm, seniors' point of view.:beerchug:

Ok...so you posted the clip because they confirmed what I encountered; it seems like I am a good observer :)

I thought it might be the opposite :)
I'll need to revisit the bass as they oddly found there was more bass with the HD800S, from all my listening the HD820 has the most immersive and fuller bass and due to the closed design it also creates the actual physical pressure sensation. Maybe they are directing their hearing to a certain aspect of the lower frequencies that are better defined with the opened back HD800S????
The thing is that these two headphones are different.
Yep...Axel through all his efforts did not create a closed back HD800/S, don't believe while wearing I would ever mistake one for the other, not actually a bad thing as they can live side by side and not make the other redundant. :)

There are other factors, too. Perhaps I was more sensitive that day for some reason........
Too many factors as our hearing can be so easily manipulated and adaptive, so the time of day, mood, what we ate, listening position, alignment of the stars, headphone colour, price, makes it very hard to be completely objective.... so comparing something like headphones and the connected equipment can make one....:yum::zipper_mouth::anguished::astonished::confounded::cry::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:!!!!!!!
But I agree with what they say about CDs.
I've gotten so caught up in the Pandora's box of streaming I've been neglecting my CD collection.... although on Xmas morning I was looking for some specific Bach Cantata recordings on Tidal, they weren't there and happily pulled out a few of my CD and dare I say Vinyl .:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #4,318 of 4,369
I am listening with a different headset, but I did find the various female vocals for this band great, so feel free to talk about how this song sounds on the HD820:

Alright, so I guess I will feel free to talk about how this song sounds on the HD820. :wink:

The way the HD820 works with the recording's acoustical limits (recording room dimensions and such) with the lushness of the mids within the air is second to none. To hear the individual tonal moods from each of the ladies is really something and not just tells you how their day is going, but also generally tells you how the past several months are going, which makes you want to listen to the rest of the album. That is what I have been missing from missing live musical performances, lately. Maybe a lot of this is still missing from performances that involve more than 1k-10k people in the audience, but I absolutely value these intimate acoustical details that the HD820 provides, which really makes it end game from me. No, I do not have much experience listening to live performances in extremely open recording settings, like an outdoor ampitheater. That's okay, because here are no real physical standards for this, anyways.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #4,320 of 4,369
Hey everyone,
Any idea where I can purchase dust covers for the HD820? Seems the ones for the HD800/HD800S are not compatible, and I cannot even find the Part Number of those for the HD820.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back