Sennheiser HD820
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #3,526 of 4,370
I’m a total sideliner here. Meaning I’ve heard the HD800, but not the HD820. So take that for what it’s worth. Still I was very fascinated when the idea of the HD820 came out. Most likely because I love closed-backs. I don’t even really like open-back headphones! I was on this thread before they even came out, basking in the excitement.

But in defense of the headphone, we have people who truly love it. Funny but people key into many different parts of a signature. What is wrong for some..............is actually right for others. All the talk of positioning makes me think that not only is positioning important but that maybe the sound has something to do with the listeners head shape? Not only that but the ear shape and ear canal shape may have a drastic change in how people interested in this headphone ultimately hear it. The list of possibilities relating to results is actually quite big, meaning volume level used, source, music genre and so on.

I vow to give it a go in the future, only because now I’m really curious. Also it may actually be a headphone that is so universally different it takes a few days to truly understand it as natural or not?

i am thinking to trade my hd820 with a z1r. that's one headphone i want to try. i am thinking i could find someone reputable here to swap for say 2 weeks or so to test the sound lol. shipping is a bit of waste money but cheaper than buying either headphone.

i have z7, hd820 and Eikon sitting in front of me. i got the eikon 2 days ago. the z7 is definitely 400 bucks and less sounding vs the other 2. both the zmf and hd820 are good. they sound pretty similar driven from a chord hugo. i am too lazy to set up my other gears after moving to new house and the hugo is the easiest to set up and put on the desk. what do you think about your z7 vs z1r?

the eikon didn't sound good right away when i got it even if it's used. then after a few hours it gets better and better.

funny all 3 headphones above has less bass satisfaction than the 64audio U12 i got. i try not to reach for it because i can't find anything wrong with it.

this hobby is not too difficult to try all the highest end stuff once you start getting things at a good price lol.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #3,527 of 4,370
i am thinking to trade my hd820 with a z1r. that's one headphone i want to try. i am thinking i could find someone reputable here to swap for say 2 weeks or so to test the sound lol. shipping is a bit of waste money but cheaper than buying either headphone.

i have z7, hd820 and Eikon sitting in front of me. i got the eikon 2 days ago. the z7 is definitely 400 bucks and less sounding vs the other 2. both the zmf and hd820 are good. they sound pretty similar driven from a chord hugo. i am too lazy to set up my other gears after moving to new house and the hugo is the easiest to set up and put on the desk. what do you think about your z7 vs z1r?

the eikon didn't sound good right away when i got it even if it's used. then after a few hours it gets better and better.

funny all 3 headphones above has less bass satisfaction than the 64audio U12 i got. i try not to reach for it because i can't find anything wrong with it.

this hobby is not too difficult to try all the highest end stuff once you start getting things at a good price lol.

First off I would like to say I was somewhat delusional about the Z7. The Z7 is fun to listen to but it takes more work than the Z1R to make it sound better. I lusted after it’s build quality and thought that folks not into it were simply not into the Sony sound. In the end the Z1R is a giant step forward. Just easier to get the correct sound, more refined, more reference, more TOTL.

When I first got the Z7 I thought it was close to the Z1R, but not anymore.

Much of my listening was with Metal and EDM so I didn’t really hear the Z7 faults at first. Normally I use the TA desktop for everything (which corrects a lot of the Z7). It with the Kimber cable in 4.4mm balanced sounds great also the added feature of using the Walkmans as a file server inside the cradle gets rid of any timing paranoias from PC or Mac file playback.

But this (recent) test was just slightly different. In that I used the Asgard and Cambridge DACMagic Plus in single ended. Also mostly they really are the same amp/dac just some slight refinement of the TA-balanced-Kimber-source.

Also just remember if you do the trade, take a few days to adjust to the sound, maybe the two headphones (HD820/MDR-Z1R) are polar opposite? Also never tried the U12t but the IER-Z1R has a very different perspective of bass, more visceral and potent at the same time the imaging is different with the MDR, can’t compare really?

Done about 1 month ago.

Comparison of Sony MDR-Z7 to MDR-Z1R
——————————————————————————————
The interesting part was I did a side by side contest between the MDR-Z1R and the MDR-Z7 yesterday. I normally listen to the TA amp when using those headphones. But for the test I used only the single ended “Asgard” amp and the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus. Basically I was just trying the amp with the headphones to learn of the results and differences between them.

What the most profound thing I learned is about bass texture. Meaning, if you were not shown excellent bass definition and detail you would maybe accept sub standard tone. The other confusing aspect is that in this particular situation we are not looking for more amp power to make it louder at all!

This phenomenon I have learned about 12 years ago. I keep hearing and learning different levels of it and it’s ramifications.

It’s not an argument at all. But it is the sum of many things. The headphone make model, the amp, the style of music, and the volume used. Even the source comes into play here. Mainly you don’t know you have better damping till you here it. Also many have done modifications to their headphones to get dampening. Which dampening does other things but in many ways they are the same. So there is electric damping and the manufacturing process and enthusiast may do dampening with material to absorb standing waves, reduce reflection and finally tune or diminish actual cup resonance. Also obviously the two are different but at times better damping can get the same results as (better) dampening.

The result of my test showed the MDR-Z7 to be way more inferior to the MDR-Z1R. Mainly in the bass area, but really everywhere. Funny too, as there is a mod to place dampening material in the Z7 cups. I haven’t done it.

The better parts of the Z1R (compared to the Z7) is obviously all across the board, meaning more realism, better soundstage and on and on. But the bass of the MDR-Z1R showed texture and detail. Especially with EDM there was the kick drum that showed itself to be round, have positioning and timbre. You could hear around and even underneath the kick! The Z7 offered at best a loss of pace as well as a slightly foggy thud where the bass was. If you had no comparison you still may hold the Z7 in high regard, as you didn’t know better.

The idea of adding more power (other than the Walkman 1Z) is that the damping will also increase the quality in the MDR-Z1R. So the issue is in a way the same. Increase damping will get you bass texture as well as bigger soundstage. Strangely, people may actually listen (with an amp) at lower volume than the Walkmans? Reason being that there can actually be a 1 dB improvement in bass. That 1dB or more will sound like way more bass. But it’s not it’s just combined with better defined bass. Better defined bass actually has an end really of sounding like more bass. This is a highly regarded sonic illusion of sorts!

Simply said, more power gets the diaphragm of the Z1R to start and stop with more precision! The movement forward and back (and to stop) is better controlled.

In the end more damping power (say the difference would be the Walkmans in contrast to the TA amp) would mean the Z1R would have just slightly better speed as well as a bigger soundstage, the bass definition (maybe a smidge more bass) and even slightly more real timbre. Mind you this is maybe only 10% of the noted differences..........and it depends on volume used. Volume has all kinds of changes really. The human ear actually creates distortion after a certain level. But beyond that.........drivers actually have their own distortion as well as a change in frequency reproduction. I feel the real (and most noticeable) difference would be in the realm of psychological results. Meaning that (added loudness) (added) volume would change almost everything!

But over the years I have come across super low volume listeners that seemed to not notice the damping issue as much? So I don’t know? But it’s a guess that in their use, damping is less of an issue?

——————————

In ending I could not do the trade due to import fees on stuff, even if used and for a small time frame.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #3,528 of 4,370

I wish I had knew that about three weeks ago, I would have did that deal.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #3,529 of 4,370
I was so fortunate to have had a little help when needed, and I was able to own one of the very first Z1R in Canada back when they were so rare it wasn't funny. I was very lucky and I loved the Z1R. I don't think anybody serious about experiencing great closed back headphones should skip the TH900, both versions, the D7000 and the Z1R. The Z1R I felt was very special, and I didn't even bother with equalization, which I suspect had I, the sound signature could have become even more accomplished. Another thing about the Z1R is how the entire enclosure and headband design worked to tune the driver response.

At the heart of what I think made the Z1R special was the amount of air it could move, and with very good response time as the driver was very well controlled. Yes with a 70mm driver you have issues that physics won't let you ignore, but there are also benefits and Sony tuned for the benefits while designing the compromises away as much as possible. One thing that I am a huge proponent of is large enough drivers. We also have sensitive hearing structures around the outer ear, and around the surrounding ear. That is why being in a space with large enough drivers to move air significantly gives a very true feel. In life we experience sounds through the entire hearing structure which has components outside of the ear canal and the brain. Those well controlled and tuned 70mm drivers can move air and the design of the earpieces makes it possible for more of the external hearing system to get stimulated. Small contribution perhaps, but I can't help but think that it helps.

The Z1R was so deceptive and stealthy with how I grew to appreciate the signature. Right away I liked it, but I wasn't quite sure what if any new design approach I heard having an audible difference. After a few weeks I had a particular listening session where it all came together and I totally understood what the Z1R was all about. It was trying to do everything very well which of course it couldn't do, but it also did nothing poorly to my ear and most things quite well. The listening feel was something I could never quite describe, even to myself. The engineering team at Sony worked very hard I imagine at creating a headphone designed to be able to project a very deliberate sound field and because it was meant to be pretty effortless and controlled at decent volumes you also could get a great sense of scale. The micro details and the very finest leading edge of notes were a little round and soft, but that also could be a benefit.

All in all I think the Z1R was a very elegant statement piece from Sony. It was terrible when I realized I could just not afford to keep it and had to part ways with the Z1R. The HD800S was another headphone that I also loved and so regret selling. Still, at least I was fortunate enough to have owned both of those headphones for as long as I did.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #3,530 of 4,370
Anyone got a sticker replacement on the headphone from sennheiser yet lol? I want to get that fixed before I sell it. I got the 3 cable version too. I didn't like the hd800 and hd800s much they were too dry sounding even with r2r dac. The hd820 is a lot more fun sounding. More comfortable than the zmf since it's lighter and the pad is bigger. Prove comes down fast with these. Ebay new is only 1700 USD. I paid 1600 Canadian so I can always break even selling back to the audio mart I guess. I can spend a bit more time with these. But now I'm all over zmf lol. My z7 is connected to the sony Ps 3d monitor to a ps4 pro just for watching Amazon prime videos only, Pretty good for that purpose. I'm sure I'll try the z1r later. Now having heard biocelluse driver I feel like I tried a sony r10 already. That one I know I will never come across and I guess maybe one day I'll get the hifiman copy of it, close enough. Prices drop very fast on these flagship models but from all the people I talked to all point me to lcd4 as the final headphone. I probably will roll amp dac a bit more after now. I got way too many headphones and very few amp dacs. Well still a lot I got 6 fiio higher end portables beside my bigger amp dacs and a ton of modules for those I lost track and too lazy to sell those.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #3,531 of 4,370
Anyone got a sticker replacement on the headphone from sennheiser yet lol? I want to get that fixed before I sell it. I got the 3 cable version too. I didn't like the hd800 and hd800s much they were too dry sounding even with r2r dac. The hd820 is a lot more fun sounding. More comfortable than the zmf since it's lighter and the pad is bigger. Prove comes down fast with these. Ebay new is only 1700 USD. I paid 1600 Canadian so I can always break even selling back to the audio mart I guess. I can spend a bit more time with these. But now I'm all over zmf lol. My z7 is connected to the sony Ps 3d monitor to a ps4 pro just for watching Amazon prime videos only, Pretty good for that purpose. I'm sure I'll try the z1r later. Now having heard biocelluse driver I feel like I tried a sony r10 already. That one I know I will never come across and I guess maybe one day I'll get the hifiman copy of it, close enough. Prices drop very fast on these flagship models but from all the people I talked to all point me to lcd4 as the final headphone. I probably will roll amp dac a bit more after now. I got way too many headphones and very few amp dacs. Well still a lot I got 6 fiio higher end portables beside my bigger amp dacs and a ton of modules for those I lost track and too lazy to sell those.
I tried a Sony MDR-R10, it was OK, but foam doesn’t last forever. No way would I pay that much money for something that old. The R10 is more about the midrange, and it has a beautiful one at that. Don’t know if the one I tried was the bass edition? One benefit of the MDR-Z1R is the comfort even over the LCD-4. Of course comfort can be highly subjective at times. 690g vs 385g.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #3,534 of 4,370
Anyone else’s hd820 have condensation inside the glass enclosure?

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,536 of 4,370
Anyone else’s hd820 have condensation inside the glass enclosure?
At times, If I’m listening for over an hour it shows up. Then goes away ten minutes after my listening session. I’ve seen friends with glasses go a much longer time before seeing condensation, probably due to the lack of a seal at that point.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #3,538 of 4,370
I own both the SDR modded HD800 and the Z1R together both for over a year and I much preferred the HD800. The sad truth is that the Z1R falls short of Sony’s previous flagships to my ears. I do agree that the Z1R has an elevated bass and tad hot in the treble. I love its expansive qualities for being a closed headphones, still my recabled CD3000 was even more expansive when I compared the two side by side. The SDR modded hd800 out of my ECP Ravenswood can stand toe to toe with the top end electrostatic system. I also preferred the HD800 over the Z1R out of both the golden Walkman 1Z and TA-ZH1SS amp. Back in the 1990s to early 2000s, the older Sony flagships all have more of a reference sound tuning with airier and expansive soundstage with near neutral bass response. The R10, CD3000, and SA5000 were all like that. That all change with the Z7 and Z1R. Sound like the HD820s has missed the mark on this one.

Old thread, but I'm in the same boat as you. Love my HD800SDR, need a closed-back, but the Z1R wasn't the answer for me.

Did you find a closed-back that worked for you?

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #3,539 of 4,370
Old thread, but I'm in the same boat as you. Love my HD800SDR, need a closed-back, but the Z1R wasn't the answer for me.

Did you find a closed-back that worked for you?
I picked up the HD820, but still very much preferred the HD800SDR to it. I also use the IER-Z1R and Audio-technical W3000ANV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back