Sennheiser HD820
Jan 14, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,941 of 4,357
I do think it’s kinda lame Sennheiser uses the exact same build as the 800s despite it changed completely to a closed back.
The same clamping force as well. A closed back needs a stronger clamping force to keep a consistent seal. If not, you need a softer pad. Sennheiser dropped the ball.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,942 of 4,357
Ok, I need some major help. I want to preface this, with I have only listened to these for two minutes and had to leave my house. Just got them today and there is absolutely no bass response and the treble is WAY hot and I love treble. It seems like the pads aren’t thick enough to create a good seal. Right where my temples are, there is an opening where the pads aren’t sealing. Anyone else had this problem or do I just need to spend more time adjusting the headband. They sound WAY OFF. I have the 800 and never had a problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,943 of 4,357
Ok, I need some major help. I want to preface this, with I have only listened to these for two minutes and had to leave my house. Just got them today and there is absolutely no bass response and the treble is WAY hot and I love treble. It seems like the pads aren’t thick enough to create a good seal. Right where my temples are, there is an opening where the pads aren’t sealing. Anyone else had this problem or do I just need to spend more time adjusting the headband. They sound WAY OFF. I have the 800 and never had a problem. Any help would be appreciated.
The clamping force is probably not strong enough for your head (a common problem...I had the same thing happen). You might want to try getting the positioning so the earcups are as high as possible and the bottom of your ear is touching the bottom of the pad opening. This might provide a better seal despite the low clamping force.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,944 of 4,357
Having the HD800S too, the HD820 sounded terribly off to start with but after 2 days I started to really enjoy them. As mentioned before put them as high as possible and also move the headband as far back as possible, so it sits on the last third of your head and not in the middle...

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,945 of 4,357
There was a post somewhere that had a response from Sennheiser about the clamping force, where they said to rubber band the ear cups together while not in use to "train" the band to a more closed shape. I tried this. It worked but slightly. I would say worth trying.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #2,946 of 4,357
Hi!

Put them on your head and move them around to find a position where you get the best possible seal - then WAIT. The memory foam will eventually from the heat of your skin mould to your headshape and you will get a better seal. It's not ideal and I spoke to the guys from Dekoni about this problem and if they are going to develop a softer and broader earpad that seals better and they said they are looking into this. I would buy it for sure.

Once you find the right position - and let them form around your head shape - they sound really lovely and you get plenty of bass (I was quite surprised by the amount of bass actually and I have a TH900 too). without seal - they do sound off. this is my only gripe with these.

Clamping force can of course help for sure. I think this is the major drawback of the super large earcups - they were not meant to need such a good seal - when they were designed as open ears....

But again - once you find a good seal - these completely rock!!

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,949 of 4,357
C88D5698-15AB-4BEA-99F2-921B816915AA.jpeg

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #2,950 of 4,357
Looks like some Formula 1 machinery...does the amp power electrostats as well?

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #2,954 of 4,357
Have tried Norse and Toxic with HD820 but always come back to the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back