Sennheiser HD820
May 10, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,641 of 4,370
Sadly, there was a fairly substantial gap between the pads and the area between my cheekbones and temples (my face has a pretty big indentation there)... roughly 1/4 cm. With this, I'd consider them semi-open.

Forgot to mention that I wear glasses and I can't detect any difference in low end with and without glasses on. My glass frame are pretty flat and thin though - about 3mm thick.

FYI, that's not really me in my avatar...

May 11, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #2,642 of 4,370
i gave the hd820 another listen last week. i prefer its tonal balance to both the hd800 and hd800s. i also compared it to the stellia and z1r. it had the clearest and most open presentation to my ears.

May 11, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2,643 of 4,370
i gave the hd820 another listen last week. i prefer its tonal balance to both the hd800 and hd800s. i also compared it to the stellia and z1r. it had the clearest and most open presentation to my ears.

I was wondering about the stellia, stunning looking but people says its the closed version of the Utopia, which I did not like very much.

May 11, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #2,644 of 4,370

I was wondering about the stellia, stunning looking but people says its the closed version of the Utopia, which I did not like very much.

I've got the Stellia for review at the moment. Indeed a stunning-looking headphone, I much prefer it over the plastic design of the Senns. I can't really speak about the absolute differences between the 820 and the Stellia since I'd prefer to have both with me at the same time, but the one thing that struck me about the Stellia that I really enjoyed about the 820 is how wide it sounded despite being a closed-back design. The other thing I much prefer over the 820 is that the Stellia just sits right for me...the lack of clamping force on the 820 really didn't do the sound quality any justice (for me anyways).

May 11, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2,645 of 4,370
i think that's a fair description but it does differ from the utopia. it's warmer and has a tad more bass. i also found it more comfortable. i think it's a lovely closed-back headphone. but if you disliked the utopia then you may not like the stellia either.

May 11, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #2,646 of 4,370
i think that's a fair description but it does differ from the utopia. it's warmer and has a tad more bass. i also found it more comfortable. i think it's a lovely closed-back headphone. but if you disliked the utopia then you may not like the stellia either.

bass wasnt so much a problem, I just didnt like the way that it the mids attack you so agressively, being in your face. That is why I like the HD800s more and love the Meze Empyrean. I found most people like one dislike the other and I agree, I cant find myself to like the Utopia even though some of the recent deal on headfi was very tempting.

May 11, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #2,647 of 4,370
bass wasnt so much a problem, I just didnt like the way that it the mids attack you so agressively, being in your face. That is why I like the HD800s more and love the Meze Empyrean. I found most people like one dislike the other and I agree, I cant find myself to like the Utopia even though some of the recent deal on headfi was very tempting.
the stellia's mids are forward to my ears so it probably won't be your cup of tea. the hd800/s and empyrean aren't mine either. :relaxed:

May 22, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2,649 of 4,370
It seems like above the HD600s, which pair of headphones is best in the Sennheiser line-up comes down to subjective views. I see a lot of people posting about how they would mix the different frequency bands of the different headphones and that seems to support that idea for me. I guess what I am getting at is that it seems like Sennheiser has pushed dynamic drivers to the limits of quality and every new product they add to their line just kind of seems like a money grab, as it is just more expensive while not necessary being better in an objective sense.

May 23, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #2,650 of 4,370
One thing I learned from this hobby is that there are no perfect headphones. while some people love a certain headphones others don't. And the more expensive they get, sometimes the more divisive they get. Check the top of the line headphone forums and the comments go from "wow this is the best thing in the world" to "I dont really like them, they are not worth it". Also I have fallen in the trap of trying to like a headphone because the "majority" likes them. Even the 50k headphones got some critics. So my recommendation is give the 820 a try and decide for yourself.

May 23, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #2,651 of 4,370
I have fallen in the trap of trying to like a headphone because the "majority" likes them.
I guess its all about trying to define what you like while trying to mitigate your biases.
So my recommendation is give the 820 a try and decide for yourself.
Ideally this seems like the way to go, but its not so easy to find and try these expensive head phones. Most of the more high end headphones I have had the chance to try were add very large electronic department stores and that was without the benefit of an amp, so its hard to form a strong opinion. What is the best way to try the 820 outside of having a rich friend who will just lone them to you.

May 23, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #2,652 of 4,370
Headphones.com has 365 day return policy

May 24, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,654 of 4,370
I guess its all about trying to define what you like while trying to mitigate your biases.

Ideally this seems like the way to go, but its not so easy to find and try these expensive head phones. Most of the more high end headphones I have had the chance to try were add very large electronic department stores and that was without the benefit of an amp, so its hard to form a strong opinion. What is the best way to try the 820 outside of having a rich friend who will just lone them to you.
Head up to SF and try them out in the Sennheiser store! I'm sure there must also be plenty of audiophile stores in LA where you could try them.

May 25, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #2,655 of 4,370
Just added the 820 to my collection. Was wanting a top tier analytical and balanced can. This fits the bill. I feel layering, separation and soundstage is superior to the Stellia. They are very much in the same small ballpark. I thi k the Stellia sounds more "fun" but less accurate. Looks and comfort are better on the 820. I don't have the issue of an inadequate seal probably due to my slightly smaller than average head. Very happy this is exactly what I'm looking for. Ymmv natch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back