Sennheiser HD820
Aug 26, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,176 of 4,357
Sorry, everyone, things got busier here than I anticipated (both work and personal), and I wanted to post the video of Axel's talk in addition to the measurements. Here's Axel Grell's talk from CanJam New York 2018. I have to leave town to go to a karting race (I'm not in it, a friend is), so hopefully tonight when I get back and I can finish up and post the measurements:

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,177 of 4,357
I really enjoyed the video oddly. I'm happy he made it clear that its still the same driver and the differences you notice by closing that same driver brings on things to the headphone that for some hurt the sound (aka bringing the music closer) or love that sound (make the music more personal or intamate) either way I love this guy's honesty and I really do appreciate him not saying "buy this it's better" in the end guys like everyone and even axel says listen to both and pick what suits you best

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,178 of 4,357
I really enjoyed the video oddly. I'm happy he made it clear that its still the same driver and the differences you notice by closing that same driver brings on things to the headphone that for some hurt the sound (aka bringing the music closer) or love that sound (make the music more personal or intamate) either way I love this guy's honesty and I really do appreciate him not saying "buy this it's better" in the end guys like everyone and even axel says listen to both and pick what suits you best
Would be nice if Sennheiser provides a tour of the HD820 so we all can listen for ourselves and decide. Actually, it's probably better to stop by a local shop, but for those that do not have that option, a tour would be nice for them to try it out.

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #2,179 of 4,357
So I went out of my way and actually bought a 800s as well so now I can do a direct comparison between the two at home. Both amazing headphones with different strengths really. Electronic music and some pop music sounds better and more fun to me on the 820 while classical music, jazz and pop with a lot of acoustic instruments loves 800s open and a bit more detailed sound better. As noted before 820 really does sound better to me while wearing glasses though as it makes the bass more even and the soundstage bigger. I highly recommend to use the 820 with glasses!

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,180 of 4,357
So I went out of my way and actually bought a 800s as well so now I can do a direct comparison between the two at home. Both amazing headphones with different strengths really. Electronic music and some pop music sounds better and more fun to me on the 820 while classical music, jazz and pop with a lot of acoustic instruments loves 800s open and a bit more detailed sound better. As noted before 820 really does sound better to me while wearing glasses though as it makes the bass more even and the soundstage bigger. I highly recommend to use the 820 with glasses!

I'm impressed, you bought it just to compare. Can you post some photos? It will be nice.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #2,181 of 4,357

Now wait a minute. We need more help as we go out to buy glasses. Does wood or steel make a difference over plastic? What lenses are being used? Does it make a difference if they are sunglasses? :spy:

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,182 of 4,357
I'm impressed, you bought it just to compare. Can you post some photos? It will be nice.
Haha of course I did not just buy it to compare though. I've been in need of high quality headphones for mixing as noted earlier in the thread. I needed a closed back in the first place so that's why I went for the 820 and it made me want the 800s as well because I really like these headphones. As I can definitely find plenty of use for both of them I felt this was the best option for me. When working with music it's also always a good option as well to not get your head stuck in just one sound signature and also to be able to compare how it sounds in different systems. Having both the 820 and the 800s gives me a bit of that without altering the sound completely which is something that I like.

sennheiser.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,184 of 4,357
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2,187 of 4,357
So what headphone do you prefer and what sounds better to you? Since you own both what's your thoughts :)

Not sure about Rchandra, but I had the 800S and didn’t like it. I returned it after a few weeks. I kept the 820...

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2,188 of 4,357
Not sure about Rchandra, but I had the 800S and didn’t like it. I returned it after a few weeks. I kept the 820...

What's interesting is I had a opposite feelings I hated the hd820 but over time and giving it its proper brain burn in period I can see why one can love a headphone for what it provides especially usability aka sleeping next to your wife with them on

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,189 of 4,357
What's interesting is I had a opposite feelings I hated the hd820 but over time and giving it its proper brain burn in period I can see why one can love a headphone for what it provides especially usability aka sleeping next to your wife with them on

It didn’t help that the other open-back headphone I was using for comparison was the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back