Sennheiser HD820
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,981 of 4,357
im interested, what are some of the better amp pairings for the hd820? is it as fickle as the hd800?
I'm enjoying the pairing with iFi Pro iDSD.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,985 of 4,357
Can anyone comment on the amount of sound leakage? I’m auditioning a pair and I am quite impressed. My wife however thinks they leak much more than my ZMF eikons and almost as much as some open cans.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #1,986 of 4,357
Can anyone comment on the amount of sound leakage? I’m auditioning a pair and I am quite impressed. My wife however thinks they leak much more than my ZMF eikons and almost as much as some open cans.

Thanks

My GF and I sleep in a king size bed. If I wear open back headphones she complains. She hasn't complained about the 820s at all. Well, except for the fact that she doesn't think I should listen to music if I'm trying to fall asleep... lol

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,987 of 4,357

Thanks

How do you like them vs eikons?

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,988 of 4,357
Never heard any of those headphones.
My GF and I sleep in a king size bed. If I wear open back headphones she complains. She hasn't complained about the 820s at all. Well, except for the fact that she doesn't think I should listen to music if I'm trying to fall asleep... lol

My wife says she cannot hear them, so all's well on that.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,990 of 4,357
My experience is that the sound leakage is a bit higher then what you would expect from closed backs on loud volumes but still much less then open-backs of course.

The nice thing is that despite the minor leakage out of the HPs, people come into the room and talk to me and I don’t even realize they’re there and saying things to me! Very little sound leakage into the listening bubble for me thus far!

We’ll see how far that goes while sharing a hotel room with me son in Seattle for the Pearl Jam shows over the next few days...

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,992 of 4,357
they describe the hd820's mid-range as somewhat "nasally", "boxed-in" and "honky" compared to the hd800/s. closed-can qualifications notwithstanding, it's quite a favourable review.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,993 of 4,357
they describe the mid-range as somewhat "nasally", "boxed-in" and "honky" compared to the hd800/s. closed-can qualifications notwithstanding, it's quite a favourable review.

Still not hearing it with my set positioned optimally on my head. Maybe there are some bad sets out there...

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,994 of 4,357
i think that's unlikely with sennheiser's quality control but as we often say here - ymmv

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,995 of 4,357
Taking the 820 and the Hugo2 on the plane to Seattle to see Pearl Jam for two nights. Will let people know how these fair for sound isolation on a plane. So far they function adequately at the airport, albeit the loudspeaker announcements are audible but muffled. We’ll see how long they go in the plane before I end up switching to my Noble Encore CIEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back