Sennheiser HD820
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,907 of 4,357
If anyone can compare the HD820 to an LCD-xc or a Mr. Speakers closed model that would be useful as well. I know comparisons between dynamic and planars can be "apples to oranges", but it's goof for understanding if they're in the same league, or at least what league they're in (regarless of price).

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,908 of 4,357
So these are my thoughts:
  • The HD820 is a closed version of the HD800S. Those who love the 800 or 800S and need a closed version urgently should buy it.
  • They have a tad more bass than the open versions.
  • The soundstage is smaller than the open versions have.
  • They need a good amp to really shine, the same goes for the open versions.
  • I will not purchase it.
  • My Z1R runs circles around the HD820 regarding bass quantity, maybe not quality.
  • The Z1R has a bigger soundstage than the HD820, kudos to Sony.
  • The Z1R is not for everyone, the HD820 neither.
  • I prefer people to mix with the HD820. The final mixing product matches my Z1R perfectly.
That's it, all I can say after a 30 minutes listening session under perfect conditions.

Thanks for that excellent impression. I loved my Z1R, if it wasn’t for the bulky housing that I could barely lay in bed with it, I would still have it

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,909 of 4,357
Hi, I bought this one in 2017:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01L28S54G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DSC_9877.JPG

DSC_9878.JPG

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,910 of 4,357
Thanks for that excellent impression. I loved my Z1R, if it wasn’t for the bulky housing that I could barely lay in bed with it, I would still have it
I sit more upright in bed until I take off the cans to sleep. For me it works fine.

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,913 of 4,357
So these are my thoughts:
  • The HD820 is a closed version of the HD800S. Those who love the 800 or 800S and need a closed version urgently should buy it.
  • They have a tad more bass than the open versions.
  • The soundstage is smaller than the open versions have.
  • They need a good amp to really shine, the same goes for the open versions.
  • I will not purchase it.
  • My Z1R runs circles around the HD820 regarding bass quantity, maybe not quality.
  • The Z1R has a bigger soundstage than the HD820, kudos to Sony.
  • The Z1R is not for everyone, the HD820 neither.
  • I prefer people to mix with the HD820. The final mixing product matches my Z1R perfectly.
That's it, all I can say after a 30 minutes listening session under perfect conditions.
30 minutes? That's it?
I have the exactly same problem with HD820 right now. Too bulky for me to rest my head against the bed headboard
OUCH!

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #1,914 of 4,357
I have the exactly same problem with HD820 right now. Too bulky for me to rest my head against the bed headboard

Fortunately, I get the best sound quality to my ears with the cups more forward (the back edge closer to the back my ears), which allows me to lightly rest my head on my memory foam pillows while slightly propped up in bed.

If I have them closer to the middle of my ears, the panned sounds start to sound like they’re not a part of the central soundstage anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,915 of 4,357
If anyone can compare the HD820 to an LCD-xc or a Mr. Speakers closed model.
The LCD-XC is incredibly heavy and uncomfortable. Its bass extension is similar. Mids have a boxiness and slight ring to them that the HD820 does not have. The highs are slightly more detailed on the HD820 without being harsh. The HD820 is also more spacious. The Mr Speakers AEON Closed has a much smaller soundstage, and less bass and warmth & similar mids and highs. The Ether Flow closed has similar bass, is also a bit less warm. Its mids are similar but the high end is a bit strident, and has a bothersome peak vs. HD820.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,916 of 4,357
Thanks for the comparison. How did you find the comfort level? Beyerdynamics and Sonys are my favorites for comfort.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,917 of 4,357
Thanks for the comparison. How did you find the comfort level? Beyerdynamics and Sonys are my favorites for comfort.

I agree, those are comfortable brands. The Sony is the most comfortable Sony model and despite its bulk is not heavy. I would say those are close in comfort to the Sennheiser. The Senn seems equally light (more or less) and to me was as comfortable, just a very different fit since it's designed differently. If I could afford both, the HD820 & Z1R, I would, they would balance each other nicely. Sony being a bit more laid back and fun with the sub bass (other than having a bit of a peak in the lower highs) and the HD820 being more accurate, but still fun as well.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,918 of 4,357
I agree, those are comfortable brands. The Sony is the most comfortable Sony model and despite its bulk is not heavy. I would say those are close in comfort to the Sennheiser. The Senn seems equally light (more or less) and to me was as comfortable, just a very different fit since it's designed differently. If I could afford both, the HD820 & Z1R, I would, they would balance each other nicely. Sony being a bit more laid back and fun with the sub bass (other than having a bit of a peak in the lower highs) and the HD820 being more accurate, but still fun as well.

Thanks again! You've provided very useful information.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,919 of 4,357
A quick update: today I went to the showroom and listened again for about 45 minutes to the HD820, BUT this time with my own player and play list.

And I can clearly hear some sort of 'strengthening' of higher sounds, not only of low ones. I repeatedly switched to an HD800S for comparison and the highs on HD820 are more sharp, but in an annoying way. Sounds worse to me than and HD800S in this respect.

Did anyone have the same experience? For me this kind of nullifies the clear improvement HD820 brings in the lows and mids over the HD800S.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,920 of 4,357
A quick update: today I went to the showroom and listened again for about 45 minutes to the HD820, BUT this time with my own player and play list.

And I can clearly hear some sort of 'strengthening' of higher sounds, not only of low ones. I repeatedly switched to an HD800S for comparison and the highs on HD820 are more sharp, but in an annoying way. Sounds worse to me than and HD800S in this respect.

Did anyone have the same experience? For me this kind of nullifies the clear improvement HD820 brings in the lows and mids over the HD800S.
Not sure what player you were using and what music you were listening to but the highs are definitely not sounding harsh here on my 820 if that's what you're saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back