Sennheiser HD820
Feb 11, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #781 of 4,357
I just have to do it, lol... The Z1r excels the HD800 by a large margin in my opinion.
can't comment on z1r, as I didn't bother to try it. While I own a niche product from Sony (dpt-rp1), I usually don't bother to try sony products, as they tend to overprice their flagships.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #782 of 4,357
I must say, in my admittedly short time spent in this hobby (less than a decade at the very longest) - I can’t remember seeing a single product generate so much division, heated discussion & disagreement.

Quite frankly now I will make sure I listen to a pair of Z1Rs as soon as possible, I need to see what all the fuss is about. I thought the LCD4s generated some heat when they were released...nothing like this...

Someone can perhaps answer this question and get us back on topic a bit - my only real previous long-term Sennheiser experience is with HD700s, I grew to enjoy them but never truly loved them, and I have recently sold them to someone who loves them. There were large parts of the sound signature I did enjoy - the detail, the resolution, the soundstage. The LCD4s I have now blow them away in every aspect, but for the price, It seemed they did some things very well. Now, I was told several times that the 700s were a darker, more bass-heavy version of the 800s, and of course minus 10-15% in soundstage, detail, resolution. If that’s true (and I have a feeling it’s not really) - then I can’t imagine I could possibly listen to a pair of anything from the 800 range. But I have a feeling this is not an accurate representation at all of what the 800/800Ss sound like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #783 of 4,357
I just hope being closed will preserve more low frequency energy from the HD820's driver units. 'Good in quality' doesn't solve all problems, you have to provide sufficient amount of bass as well.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #784 of 4,357
3db sub bass increase would be nice Sennheiser ;D . If you listen to customers then you will do it. Lot of people buy Closed Headphones not because of isolation, but because we need more rumble down low, little more fun.
Nobody ask to make bass wolume like fostex just make more than Standard HD800 series.

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #787 of 4,357
Whoever set the bar for expensive headphone prices planted the seed. Others who feel they have a headphone to offer that is comparable in terms of sound quality would be foolish not to expect to be able to demand something within the same price bracket vicinity. Of course, the sound is totally subjective and price-value ratio is also.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #788 of 4,357
On a lighter note, does the design remind any (golfers) of this Cobra driver?

Cobra-King-LTD-Driver-Hero.png

NK

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #791 of 4,357
I must say, in my admittedly short time spent in this hobby (less than a decade at the very longest) - I can’t remember seeing a single product generate so much division, heated discussion & disagreement.
Quite frankly now I will make sure I listen to a pair of Z1Rs as soon as possible, I need to see what all the fuss is about.

The Z1R are... special. They're an acquired taste. A bit like Wasabi or the cyclops on Rolex watches. Loved by many, hated by as many. You have to appreciate it the right way.

I knew Sony offerings well (from the old days, Qualia, R10, CD3000, etc) and ordered the Z1R before listening based just on design information and developer interviews. The impact on arrival was mixed. Presentation was absolute top notch and jumped to #1 immediately (meaning physical presentation here - case, the industrial design with no extras besides the necessary, the overall feeling of quality that later won top industrial design awards). It contrasted greatly with other offerings I had that cost almost the same (Like the 800S, which was a lot flimsier, looked a bit like something out of a Happy Meal next to the Z1R and it just isn't all that comfy even for a guy who loves Alcantara).

But in terms of sound, it was not an immediate full mind-blowing experience. It was a lot darker than the CD3000, less airy and spacious than the HD800, with a slightly less accurate separation and positioning than you get from the straight-plugged-into-your-brain Campfire Audio Andromeda.

But at the same time, with such a silky, buttery pleasant signature, and sounding so good at low volumes. And very spacious for closed headphones. Separation and positioning is excellent for a closed model. Comfort also shot straight to #1, and they remain the comfiest headphones I've ever used in the hobby. They sound very airy for closed cans, feel built like a tank and have the finishing of a luxury fully hand-made product - which they are... and have a fun, punchy full meaty sound that makes music enjoyable, truly fun even when not technically accurate on the FR chart. They're the fun roaring v8-engine car that makes you smile silly while pushing the pedal and volume, even if your Tesla S is a lot faster and a lot more "accurate/efficient" on every spec on the chart.

Yet, they can sound too dark sometimes, slightly veiled and with a boomy sub-bass. Depends on the mastering of the track, and often it's easy to compensate that in the source (iFi's 3D ASP does wonders, for example). But still, that means it's not a 10/10 like I had hope when I ordered it. A modern MDR-R10. It isn't so. But the R10 wouldn't be as good today, since out standards are more demanding. We're commenting out of memory and respect for the old classics.

To me, the Z1R is one of my favorite closed model. I can see why some people dislike it, as it's not a tool you can use for every task. They're a spoon that excels with soup. If Sony discontinues it fast (as it often does) I would not be surprised if it becomes a valued model in the second hand market, as it happened with models like the CD3000 (bashed initially and later sold at 3x what they cost 10 years before).

Comfort-wise, however, there's no doubt for me regarding the Z1R being king. I think I will still eat my mouse mat if the 820 surpasses that... that and the physical design/assembly/materials/box/overall build quality.

But, when it comes to sound, I'm also a big HD800 fan and still want a Z1R+HD800 hybrid. That would be my apex in sound, comfort, build and.... value/price. Can Sennheiser pull that off with the 820? Nope. I don't think they will be able to this early. But who knows, I'm going to try to find a pair and figure out if the dynamic duo needs to become a trio.

TL;DR: I want a Z1R+HD800 hybrid. Fave closed with fave open. Give it to me, 820!

20161031_115712.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #792 of 4,357
The Z1R are... special. They're an acquired taste. A bit like Wasabi or the cyclops on Rolex watches. Loved by many, hated by as many. You have to appreciate it the right way.

I knew Sony offerings well (from the old days, Qualia, R10, CD3000, etc) and ordered the Z1R before listening based just on design information and developer interviews. The impact on arrival was mixed. Presentation was absolute top notch and jumped to #1 immediately (meaning physical presentation here - case, the industrial design with no extras besides the necessary, the overall feeling of quality that later won top industrial design awards). It contrasted greatly with other offerings I had that cost almost the same (Like the 800S, which was a lot flimsier, looked a bit like something out of a Happy Meal next to the Z1R and it just isn't all that comfy even for a guy who loves Alcantara).

But in terms of sound, it was not an immediate full mind-blowing experience. It was a lot darker than the CD3000, less airy and spacious than the HD800, with a bit less sharp separation than something like the Andromeda.

But at the same time, with such a silky, buttery pleasant signature, and sounding so good at low volumes. And very spacious for closed headphones. Separation and positioning is excellent for a closed model. Comfort also shot straight to #1, and they remain the comfiest headphones I've ever used in the hobby. They sound very airy for closed cans, feel built like a tank and have the finishing of a luxury fully hand-made product - which they are... and have a fun, punchy full meaty sound that makes music enjoyable, truly fun even when not technically accurate on the FR chart. They're the fun roaring v8-engine car that makes you smile silly while pushing the pedal and volume, even if your Tesla S is a lot faster and a lot more "accurate/efficient" on every spec on the chart.

Yet, they can sound too dark sometimes, slightly veiled and with a boomy sub-bass. Depends on the mastering of the track, and often it's easy to compensate that in the source (iFi's 3D ASP does wonders, for example). But still, that means it's not a 10/10 like I had hope when I ordered it. A modern MDR-R10. It isn't so. But the R10 wouldn't be as good today, since out standards are more demanding. We're commenting out of memory and respect for the old classics.

To me, the Z1R is one of my favorite closed model. I can see why some people dislike it, as it's not a tool you can use for every task. They're a spoon that excels with soup. If Sony discontinues it fast (as it often does) I would not be surprised if it becomes a valued model in the second hand market, as it happened with models like the CD3000 (bashed initially and later sold at 3x what they cost 10 years before).

Comfort-wise, however, there's no doubt for me regarding the Z1R being king. I think I will still eat my mouse mat if the 820 surpasses that... that and the physical design/assembly/materials/box/overall build quality.

But, when it comes to sound, I'm also a big HD800 fan and still want a Z1R+HD800 hybrid. That would be my apex in sound, comfort, build and.... value/price. Can Sennheiser pull that off with the 820? Nope. I don't think they will be able to this early. But who knows, I'm going to try to find a pair and figure out if the dynamic duo needs to become a trio.

TL;DR: I want a Z1R+HD800 hybrid. Fave closed with fave open. Give it to me, 820!

Just out of curiosity, is Z1R close to neutral? I didn't bother trying z1r, but I wonder it because you said it is kind of acquired taste. There is a lot of cans which serve for different tastes. But in the traditional sense, only neutral cans deserve as a flagship or in a realm of hifi/reference cans. Otherwise, they would be in the realm of mid-fi, and should be priced accordingly.
Well, then there are Ultrason series..expensive...I heard it. Thought its sound is very weird. never neutral. Also, nobody at headfi seems to care about them.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #793 of 4,357
Just out of curiosity, is Z1R close to neutral? I didn't bother trying z1r, but I wonder it because you said it is kind of acquired taste. There is a lot of cans which serve for different tastes. But in the traditional sense, only neutral cans deserve as a flagship or in a realm of hifi/reference cans. Otherwise, they would be in the realm of mid-fi, and should be priced accordingly.
Well, then there are Ultrason series..expensive...I heard it. Thought its sound is very weird. never neutral. Also, nobody at headfi seems to care about them.
I think they sure are. I'm also a Z1R+HD800 owner and for most music I prefer the former, with more details revealed. Having characteristics doesn't always mean a betrayal of the neutrality; the HD800 has been (some are insisting) blaming for that 6k peak, and HD800s for its bass. Those characteristics do exist, but eventually they don't stop the majority from considering they are BASICALLY neutral. This may take time, having more head gears tune up from them, or the taste of users may even change slowly. Nevertheless I'm confident in this Sony stuff.

Plus, and also looking forward to the 820. It may be a little pricy but I see it as a complete HD800s, finished all that the S version wish to enhance from the original version.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #794 of 4,357

But in terms of sound, it was not an immediate full mind-blowing experience. It was a lot darker than the CD3000, less airy and spacious than the HD800, with a bit less sharp separation than something like the Andromeda.

You lost all credibility when you said the 800S is not a comfortable headphone. Pure blasphemy. I’m hard-pressed to name a headphone as comfortable, let alone, more comfortable.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #795 of 4,357
I think they sure are. I'm also a Z1R+HD800 owner and for most music I prefer the former, with more details revealed. Having characteristics doesn't always mean a betrayal of the neutrality; the HD800 has been (some are insisting) blaming for that 6k peak, and HD800s for its bass. Those characteristics do exist, but eventually they don't stop the majority from considering they are BASICALLY neutral. This may take time, having more head gears tune up from them, or the taste of users may even change slowly. Nevertheless I'm confident in this Sony stuff.

Plus, and also looking forward to the 820. It may be a little pricy but I see it as a complete HD800s, finished all that the S version wish to enhance from the original version.

What is going on tonight? Z1R labeled as neutral??? Please stop. You can love them all you like but to label them as neutral is beyond disingenuous. I’ll throw you a bone, though, and agree with you that the original 800 isn’t neutral either. It has less than neutral bass quantity and overly bright treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back