Sennheiser HD820
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #482 of 4,422
Just wait for the playnar HD900, scheduled for 2039, don't waste your time discussing meaningless sidegrades lmao
That's where my money goes.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #484 of 4,422
If we use the numbers as an indication of price (original MSRP, not street prices), if HD800 was released for 1399$, and HD820 costs 2399$...then "10" equals 1000 bucks, so HD900 should cost 11399$!
So yes, you better save your money :ksc75smile:

(While this is a joke, I hope it doesn't become truth, as it isn't too far off as far TOTL headphone prices are going)

EDIT: Oh may, I did the math wrong, "10" equals 500 bucks, so it is 6399$...whiskey is bad for math but improves the listening experience, so who cares lol

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #486 of 4,422
If we use the numbers as an indication of price (original MSRP, not street prices), if HD800 was released for 1399$, and HD820 costs 2399$...then "10" equals 1000 bucks, so HD900 should cost 11399$!
So yes, you better save your money :ksc75smile:

(While this is a joke, I hope it doesn't become truth, as it isn't too far off as far TOTL headphone prices are going)

EDIT: Oh may, I did the math wrong, "10" equals 500 bucks, so it is 6399$...whiskey is bad for math but improves the listening experience, so who cares lol

shhhh don't give them any ideas :wink:

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #487 of 4,422
Just out of interest, and all this talk about legacy, Sennheiser has made some fine closed headphones in the past. Notably the HD250 Linear. Discussion here on how they hold up even against titans such as the K1000 and HD800. Just a great sounding headphone. https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/achieving-high-fidelity-sound_topic4160.html

Graham Slee forums were rabid fans of the 250, 540 and the like. Similar to head-fi's infatuation with the 600/650 :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #488 of 4,422
It's pretty exciting that Sennheiser is investing seriously into closed back audiophile quality headphones, period. I think the HD 630VB are a great headphone, which I think gets unfairly passed over because it's mobile friendly and has that variable bass feature which many find gimmicky (but it works great on the 630).

The HD 820 represents the first time in a long time that Sennheiser is offering an option for really serious audiophiles for at home listening with no compromises. The fact it might even sound better than the HD 800/S is incredible. Really excited about this one.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #489 of 4,422
It's pretty exciting that Sennheiser is investing seriously into closed back audiophile quality headphones, period. I think the HD 630VB are a great headphone, which I think gets unfairly passed over because it's mobile friendly and has that variable bass feature which many find gimmicky (but it works great on the 630).

The HD 820 represents the first time in a long time that Sennheiser is offering an option for really serious audiophiles for at home listening with no compromises. The fact it might even sound better than the HD 800/S is incredible. Really excited about this one.

Just make it sound exactly like an 800S with the exact same soundstage, more sub bass, slightly more forward mids, and a little less treble and it will be perfect. That’s not too much to ask for right?

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #490 of 4,422
Just make it sound exactly like an 800S with the exact same soundstage, more sub bass, slightly more forward mids, and a little less treble and it will be perfect. That’s not too much to ask for right?

Yes.

I mean, probably. :smirk:

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #491 of 4,422
The HD650 was kept alongside the HD600 because both sold well along side each other, which is probably the same thing that will happen to the HD660S. Either way, this is going nowhere. Let's just bury it and move on. Just to clarify, my main point is, as I said above, because if the HD820 is not meant to succeed the HD800S and is supposedly tuned similar to the HD800S, some people are going to be disappointed. You can obviously disagree if you want, but we both know neither you nor I have tried em so let's just give each other the benefit of the doubt and wait for more impressions and specifications.
I agree. I don't understand why "some people" are so aggressively defending HD820, that it has to be Flagship device from Sennheiser just because of the naming. While clearly _Early_ impressions say that it isn't, and also from Sennheiser's own spec sheet, interviews with Grell and Sennheiser reps (Including one that i personally know) Are say that this is just a "closed back variant" of the HD800S.

I think that the naming comes from HDV 820. And they already had HD800, HD800S. It think they didn't want another "HD800C" to that lineup. But rather just make it "HD820" that's same naming style that HDV820 has.

But tbh. there is no point continuing this rabbit hole arguing. This just what i have heard from Sennheiser Rep's ,and usually they know what they are talking about.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #493 of 4,422
it is like cars but in reverse...... normal vs cabriolet price difference.... in our case close ve open price difference.....

If the HD820 was the first before HD800S, i would happily pay 800€ in difference for open can variant. (Well not happily, but i would pay the difference). But to pay extra for closed can variant.... Different story. (All-trough different shoes for different folks)

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #494 of 4,422
If the HD820 was the first before HD800S, i would happily pay 800€ in difference for open can variant. (Well not happily, but i would pay the difference). But to pay extra for closed can variant.... Different story. (All-trough different shoes for different folks)

Even if the closed turned out to be a better headphone than the open you would not pay more simply because it is closed ?

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #495 of 4,422
Even if the closed turned out to be a better headphone than the open you would not pay more simply because it is closed ?
No, i would not. But i would be suprise if this would be the case. That they sound exactly the same.

One reason why i didn't purchase Focal Utopia was that the HD800S did have much better soundstage. (I have tried them side by side). There wasn't enough of justification to choose utopia over the HD800S, when the soundstage was that limited.

I highly doubt Sennheiser was able to pull of even 80% of the soundstage over the original one with HD820. I'm not saying it can't be done. But even if there's 90% of the soundstage compared to HD800S. Why choose the HD820 if you live alone and the price is 800€/$ more expensive?

This is ofcourse my personal opinion and my personal situation. And i do agree that some will find benefit of closed back - design. But if there's no need in closed can, i haven't seen (in the past) reason to go with closed back - design, over the open one. (And pay 800€ extra) Of course IF the soundstage is the same and IF there is some other improvements in the soundquality, it's a different story.

But for now, every indication that we have leads that in some areas it's an compromises in SQ. Just to get the closed back- can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back