Sennheiser HD820
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #361 of 4,370
3499 little steep with hd800S picked up at 1900 cad. After 1 month availability.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #362 of 4,370
Fascinating design, but until I've heard it I'm going to be my usual skeptical self and play Devil's advocate here.

It looks like it's been designed primarily for aesthetics. Gorilla glass is going to reflect everything that hits it, so that absorbing chamber had better be truly awesome, or this thing's going to have some unnecessary peaks/troughs and phase issues.

Does anybody know if the glass is curved? There's a trick you can do with the foci of an ellipse, where any source from one focus lands at the other. I wonder if they're curved the glass to (try to) reflect everything to the absorber? Even so, I would have thought it would have made more sense to use an absorbing material for the back so that the HR/absorber acts as a safety net and not the only means of eliminating reflections.

Pricing seems more consistent with charging what Sennheiser thinks the market will stand, rather than the cost of a couple of pieces of Gorilla glass and a few FEM simulations. As for the aesthetics - yes, they do look sexy.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #364 of 4,370
no 4.4mm connector please, xlr or 3.5mm, these two are what folks want

I would want 4.4 if I were to buy them

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #369 of 4,370
Fascinating design, but until I've heard it I'm going to be my usual skeptical self and play Devil's advocate here.

It looks like it's been designed primarily for aesthetics. Gorilla glass is going to reflect everything that hits it, so that absorbing chamber had better be truly awesome, or this thing's going to have some unnecessary peaks/troughs and phase issues.

Most likely.
What where they thinking huh?!

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #371 of 4,370
Whether it’s to your preference we will see, but it’s senn, so it’s going to be good.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #375 of 4,370
These are likely to
These are likely to be too inefficient to be driven by phones. Only the LG phones with their unique high impedance mode can have a go at HD800s and then they are a bit quiet for some genres. I imagine a 3.5mm adaptor will be in the box somwhere, but these don't look portable to me.

be too inefficient to be driven by phones. Only the LG phones with their unique high impedance mode can have a go at HD800s and then they are a bit quiet for some genres. I imagine a 3.5mm adaptor will be in the box somwhere, but these don't look portable to me.

Yep You are absolutly right o that, I tried both the focal utopia and hd800s directly from lg v30 with an adapter, and the volume was at 90%. So its kinda on the edge of the limit in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back