Sennheiser HD820
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #346 of 4,370
Here's a more complete set of photos.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

And a press release: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/news-the-game-changer-for-closed-back-audiophile-headphones

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #348 of 4,370
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #349 of 4,370
Anyone know why headphone manufacturers are pushing this 4.4 pentaconn standard so hard?

I LOVE the 4 pin XLR connectors. They are extremely sturdy and perfect for at home usage where you just plug and forget. Pentaconn seems to be the worst of both worlds - fragile and prone to breaking like the 6.3mm standard and not as secure a connection as the 4 pin xlr.

Why fix what isn't broken?

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #350 of 4,370
please, someone explain me why for a glass in one side 2.400€?

There are many more engineering challenges in making closed cans than open, if you want to make them high end.

Why glass rather than an opaque plastic back? Looks mostly, although gorilla glass is very dense and hence a very suitable material to reduce vibration.

But the damping, from what Grell says, is another arrangement around the sides that the back plate directs the air towards. That's 'extra stuff' not I'm the HD800S. Same goes in front of the driver. The HD800 is perforated here, with the 820, there will need to be an engineering solution here too. The pads, again, have to be more complicated.

It's all 'extra stuff' that had R&D costs, and then has a manufacturing cost as well. Hence it is more expensive than the open model.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #352 of 4,370
Anyone know why headphone manufacturers are pushing this 4.4 pentaconn standard so hard?

I LOVE the 4 pin XLR connectors. They are extremely sturdy and perfect for at home usage where you just plug and forget. Pentaconn seems to be the worst of both worlds - fragile and prone to breaking like the 6.3mm standard and not as secure a connection as the 4 pin xlr.

I don't have anything balanced, but I'm inclined to prefer the 4-pin XLR myself, even not having an experience with any of it... but my guess is that the 4.4mm Pentaconn is desirable because it's small enough to be used on portable devices but still sturdier than 3.5mm and certainly more than 2.5mm. I can see the appeal of having just one standard balanced standard, instead of a bunch of competing ones and different ones for desktop and portable.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #353 of 4,370

At least, there will be a XLR-4 connector in the box : https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820

So we'll have both options.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #354 of 4,370
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #355 of 4,370
Interesting... looks like someone made a mistake on the pricing, or is this intentional?

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 18.12.39.png

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #356 of 4,370
erik7061362 said:
Actually, I'm absolutely OK with the price.
Why? Before even hearing it? Or have you heard it? Would you also be cool with $3399? Or $4499? Or $5599? :o2smile:
Why??? We already waited half a year for announcement and now we will have to wait another half a year for actual release? Too much of waiting time. Why they cannot announce and release it at the same day, like other companies, for example Focal.
Yeah, the CDN dollar is at .81 US now....by early summer, it will probably be .49

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #357 of 4,370
senn,senn,senn,senn,senn,senn

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #358 of 4,370
I'm good, and so are the AKGs. The HD820s may be better, but at x3 the price, I'll be fine.
Yes you will. The HD820 will have to pull off quite a feat in order to justify it's price.

please, someone explain me why for a glass in one side 2.400€?
So you can see if the driver is still there? Or raise tadpoles? Or something cool to get scuffed and scratched? Take yer pick.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #359 of 4,370
Actually only Sony and Sennheiser have been pushing Pentaconn, not manufacturers in general. Pentaconn actually does fill a void for balanced mobile connection, because its 5th connector can be used for a microphone. The other mobile balanced connectors such as 2.5mm TRRS cannot accommodate a microphone.

I doubt Pentaconn will ever catch on as a standard. For the desktop, people are already using 4-pin XLR for balanced connector. For portable DAPs, balanced 2.5mm TRRS has become a de facto standard. That leaves cellphones where Pentaconn makes sense as balanced audio with microphone. However, nobody wants to build a phone with balanced amp and large 4.4mm jack.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #360 of 4,370
Canadian product page is up :
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820

Only $3,499CDN. Sennheiser just moved their 'Overton-Window', and now the HD800S seem like a deal! Joking aside, these are low-run boutique products, and pricing reflects this.

If they deliver the performance the HD800/S are known for, in a closed-back, it very well may be worth it. Not just for our lot, but also the 2-channel and home theatre enthusiasts looking for a top-of-the-line quiet alternative.

Congrats to @Sennheiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back