Sennheiser HD820
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,156 of 4,370
Enjoy your future tinnitus.
I know you're trying to say something but all I hear is MAWP MAWP MAWP MAWP.

When I say 85db, I mean that the SPL maxes out at 85db, not at an average of 85db. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,157 of 4,370
Well if I was being silly I’d ask a more witty question. Anyone, I don’t know.
The Bose leaks. It's just that it plays a negative sound wave to cancel out the ambient noise that is leaking into the earcups. It doesn't do anything to stop the sound in the earcups from leaking out.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,159 of 4,370
Maybe there is a headphone other than say bose noise cancelling closed HP, that does not leak. Could you give us a reference can model that doesn't leak at any volume level? Most are purposely vented.
I don't listen loud...

Regarding sound leaks, the HD820 is a closed back headphones but it does not guarantee that the sound could not leak from around the earpads. In fact, when I took off the headphones and left it on the table, I could hear the music playing rather loudly as if it was an open back. So I am very sure that if you were to listen music loudly in a quiet room, I believe your spouse next to you can still hear faint sounds. So be mentally prepared.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,160 of 4,370
Dude of course you are going to hear the music if you leave them on the table there is no head between the cups LOL On a serious note you might be the exception, I had multiple closed headphone and my wife never complains- also they block some of the outside noise like kids playing or wife screaming lol- off course no closed headphone is perfect- so let’s not start an argument that closed headphones are not worth it or valid. Each have their own market so everybody will be happy.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,161 of 4,370
Dude of course you are going to hear the music if you leave them on the table there is no head between the cups LOL On a serious note you might be the exception, I had multiple closed headphone and my wife never complains- also they block some of the outside noise like kids playing or wife screaming lol- off course no closed headphone is perfect- so let’s not start an argument that closed headphones are not worth it or valid. Each have their own market so everybody will be happy.
When my wife sleeps, she does not complain even when I use the HD660S beside her. I then listen quite silent, sometimes an hour when reading. So no problem here.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,162 of 4,370
I was given the impression that it could be available from June, unless production issues push the launch date. Axel clarified that delays might be necessary to ensure quality controls.
Sounds promising. Thank you.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,164 of 4,370
Quality controls is what we really need. Nothing is worse than a mismatched drivers from left or right which can totally destroy the soundstage performances pleasure of the source
Sennheiser has always been consistent with well matched channels, as far back as I can remember.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,165 of 4,370
Sennheiser has always been consistent with well matched channels, as far back as I can remember.

Yes, that is as much important as the design of the headphones and little last drop % of performances that they are capable of performing. I don’t see it being mentioned around much, but rather all the fancy things about the designs here and there. Good to know Sennheiser has a good habit of keeping it up :D. The delay if happened will be well worth it, and so is the wait

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,166 of 4,370
Even my IEMs leak when I have them turned up loud enough. Wife complains about the SE846 when I have them at about 85db while in bed. Wife complains about the LCD-XC when she's watching TV next to me when I have them at about 75db. Wife complains about the Utopia when she's upstairs with the bedroom door closed at about 85db. If outside noise is getting in, inside noise is getting out.
Not trying to start anything here but do you think your wife has convinced herself that she heard things when she actually doesn't? I know that sometimes I can trick myself into hearing or even seeing things sometimes. It sounds crazy but it's really not. Do you praise her for how well she heard things, so now she's 'proud' of this super power? I'm not kidding here.

Maybe one time put them on with no music on but act as if you are really enjoying some music. But do it at a time where she doesn't want you to listen in the bedroom if you know what I mean. It might be for other reasons that she doesn't want you wearing headphones in the bedroom.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,168 of 4,370
Nope. She has demon ears. She can hear my kid pooping from across the room. Sometimes, I think she can hear my thoughts. One time we were at the mall and this gorgeous girl walked by and I thought to myself, "Damn, she's foine." My wife pinched my arm and said, "I heard that." She didn't say "I saw that" or "you better not be looking." She said "I heard that!"

The saddest thing is, with that awesome hearing, she has no interest in music. It's like if LeBron had said, "Naw, I'm going to go into accounting," or if tortillas were never turned into chips.

Apr 7, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #1,169 of 4,370
Nope. She has demon ears. She can hear my kid pooping from across the room. Sometimes, I think she can hear my thoughts. One time we were at the mall and this gorgeous girl walked by and I thought to myself, "Damn, she's foine." My wife pinched my arm and said, "I heard that." She didn't say "I saw that" or "you better not be looking." She said "I heard that!"

The saddest thing is, with that awesome hearing, she has no interest in music. It's like if LeBron had said, "Naw, I'm going to go into accounting," or if tortillas were never turned into chips.

Your wife is audiopathic? Eek!

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,170 of 4,370
Your wife is audiopathic? Eek!
Audiopath. I like that. But I equate it more to psychopath. Used in a sentence: only full-blown audiopaths would devote 1169 posts to a headphone that isn't even out yet and almost nobody has even heard.

The HD820 sounded fantastic at CES, btw. I'm curious as to how the final tuning is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back