Sennheiser HD820
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,126 of 4,356
bed is for sleeping and sex imo. Regardless of amount of leakage any for your partner is not good. Plus for me I'm a stomach sleeper and roller, hp won't work.
Leakage? :astonished:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,127 of 4,356
yes no closed HP doesn't have leakage. TH900 is closed in name only as an example.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,128 of 4,356
Oh that leakage...

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,129 of 4,356
yes no closed HP doesn't have leakage. TH900 is closed in name only as an example.

Then I guess I’ll be using the Kaiser Encore CIEMs when I can’t sleep and want to meditate or watch Streaming material in bed when she’s over. I don’t go to sleep with headphones on, I just sit and meditate or listen to the music when not watching streaming material. I wouldn’t risk sleeping with anything that expensive on my head. I’d use the free earbuds that came with my iPhone X if I wanted to fall asleep with something on my head...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #1,131 of 4,356
I would have to definitely disagree with this while in bed with your partner.

Leakage can be good. Seepage most definitely is not....

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,132 of 4,356
Apr 5, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #1,133 of 4,356
Apr 5, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,135 of 4,356
I have the privilege to interview Axel Grell at the CanJam Singapore 2018, and he shared loads of insights on the HD820, which I have documented in my blog article (link here).

Sennheiser_Axel_Grell.jpg

A few interesting points in summary:
- HD820 is inspired by HD280 PRO, Axel's first closed-back headphones he designed for Sennheiser. He switched the numbers around.
- HD820 is created largely to meet Asia market demands for audiophile closed-back headphones. It took so long because there was no such market in Germany, as he jested, Europeans have dedicated listening rooms to enjoy open-back headphones in private.
- HD820 sound staging still cannot beat HD800S, but it is better than most closed-back headphones.
- HD820 has undergone drop tests and the Gorilla Glass is unlikely to crack or shatter.
- Axel carries an LG V30 and he says it can drive the HD820.
- At launch, HD820 will come with plenty of cables, but after the initial run, the cables will cut back due to costs.

Sennheiser_HD820_3.jpg

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,137 of 4,356
Interesting report. Thanks for the report, and wow, if V30 can drive hd820.....he advertises for LG ? Lol...
I don't think he is endorsing LG, but LG is the only smartphone with a premium grade DAC. Oh, he also claims the phone can last only 2 hours when driving HD820. Go figure.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,139 of 4,356
I really hope the HD820 starts a revolution among closed headphones, like the HD800 did in its own time among open headphones, so other makers will also pull their facts together (particularly I am thinking about the AKG K872 fiasco). It is nice to hear that Sennheiser has been there and abandoned that approach.
I am not fond of glass back, not sure if e.g. carbon fiber would not sound better, but the visual appearance with glass is very original and looks fantastic - in the shop. When on my head, I just care about the sound. And even in the shop, I care more about the price than the exhibition.

If it's near-neutral with a slight sub-bass boost (as heralded) over the HD800S, with slightly less wide sound stage than the HD800(S), then that sounds like perfect to me. The harmonic structure of the timbre, low distortion, attack, decay, low level resolution matters much more in bass perception than bass amplitude. For instance, I have an e-stat (pictured in my avatar) that sounds classes better in the bass than my Fostex, Denon and Sony closed cans, even deeper, fuller and more impactful, while measuring near flat in the FR and while being much more clear. Too bad it's open and sounds like a speaker, actually needing dedicated and possibly sound-insulated listening room in order to avoid sound leakage from one room to another... so I completely get Axel's jest about Europeans :). So don't think the HD820 is mainly for Asian markets :).

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,140 of 4,356
I really hope the HD820 starts a revolution among closed headphones, like the HD800 did in its own time among open headphones, so other makers will also pull their facts together (particularly I am thinking about the AKG K872 fiasco). It is nice to hear that Sennheiser has been there and abandoned that approach.
I am not fond of glass back, not sure if e.g. carbon fiber would not sound better, but the visual appearance with glass is very original and looks fantastic - in the shop. When on my head, I just care about the sound. And even in the shop, I care more about the price than the exhibition.

If it's near-neutral with a slight sub-bass boost (as heralded) over the HD800S, with slightly less wide sound stage than the HD800(S), then that sounds like perfect to me. The harmonic structure of the timbre, low distortion, attack, decay, low level resolution matters much more in bass perception than bass amplitude. For instance, I have an e-stat (pictured in my avatar) that sounds classes better in the bass than my Fostex, Denon and Sony closed cans, even deeper, fuller and more impactful, while measuring near flat in the FR and while being much more clear. Too bad it's open and sounds like a speaker, actually needing dedicated and possibly sound-insulated listening room in order to avoid sound leakage from one room to another... so I completely get Axel's jest about Europeans :). So don't think the HD820 is mainly for Asian markets :).

Yes indeed! Axel finally realised the world needs closed back headphones when his children's open back headphones are still audible even when they closed their bedroom door!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back