Sennheiser HD820
Dec 26, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,602 of 4,357
Out of curiosity I want to hear what they do sound like without it.
I tried the mods from this, and the 6k thingy *harshness* seems to be gone, and I am liking them a loooot more:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-hd800-ultimate-maxx-mod.879024/post-16731347

Nevertheless, I want to listen to them without the glass so I can hear how they sound open.

Using an ADI-2 DAC FS (latest version).

It's like I can finally enjoy listening to stuff again.

But maybe I would like them even more without the glass?

Instead of doling out 1000 bucks more for some HD 800.
Things don't work like that. They were designed/tuned in that environment (enclosed and sound waves reflecting off the glass). No, can't say I ever done it, so I guess you technically have the benefit of the doubt. But I'd bet that all you'd be doing is ruining an expensive pair of headphones.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #3,604 of 4,357
If you don't mean physically ruined, I strongly want to find out myself how they would sound.

If someone could let me know how to crack open this thing without a hammer, that would be awesome (an unlisted YouTube video would help immensely).
I have removed the hinge, among other things (HD 800 videos are out there) but I can't access for the life of me the back part (where the glass is, the bass traps are, etc).
A87F4536-A336-417C-8154-FCA423B26FDB.jpeg

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #3,606 of 4,357
F215FEB0-AB67-4652-B571-6F50B37570D0.jpeg

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #3,608 of 4,357
The things is that, if one is striving to get HD800S out of 820, you simply can’t !! Doesn’t matter of what you do. They are too much different. Don’t even think that it share the drivers and so on.

However, as I said. By using 2 different marks of references

1/ Compare to HD800S, it can not be compared. Simply because it is closed back, and I dare anyone to compare any closed back on a proper setup that can outperform or on the tier of HD800S….some open backs can, but it certainly isn’t at the cost of 800S

2/ Compare to other closed back, the 820 has vast soundstage, depth, width, vertical, super clean off resonances which plagues the closed back designs. This is an amazing feast by Itself already. While the 800S is references due to it very flat responses. I would call the 820 to be somewhat accurate and musicality rather than references. It also is picky at the genres due to it being V-shaped.

But in the end, the 800s is a crazy headphones!!! I once said that I wouldn’t modify 800s by any means. It is the pinnacle to my references, only behind Stax flagships. The case in point is that even Sennheiser itself is modifying the 800s into a closed back and it turned out to be a very different beast
800s is definitely Sennheiser’s best attempt yet. It’s a truly wonderful QOL improvement to the already technically incredible 800.

I am curious to see if they take what they learned from jamming the HD700 drivers into the HD6__ series (HD660S), and allowing the frequencies from 1k-4K shine more, when they apply these lessons to the next reference flagship.

Hopefully in our lifetimes we can eventually have closed back cans capable of what the 800S does.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #3,609 of 4,357
Um, guys, I thought you would be helpful, instead of going full retar ded on me, lol.
I, for one, applaud your courage in trying out whatever it takes for the pursuit of sound. At the same time, I believe the damping in the internals would not mesh to well with the glass being removed versus a HD800S, etc. Still an interesting experiment.

I believe there are screws from the inside that you can unscrew to get the glass out.

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,611 of 4,357
They could have put a porthole, like a washing machine, so that they could be opened and closed at will.
You do realize you've just invented a patentable construction for "open/closed-at-will" headphones?

Been checking this thread for a long time (thanks for all the inputs from everybody!) and now can legitimately infiltrate it. I had hd600 for 10+ years and hd 380 pro for noisy situations and for online gaming (competitive shooters require closed-back isolation to hear footsteps). All this time I was dreaming of a closed-back version of hd 600/650. Germans did not make it easy for me with 820, but if you look at it from a certain angle, it's just one and a half of some iphone 13 pro. What will be iphone 13 pro in year 2026 (in 5 years)? A piece of garbage easier to recycle than to sell. What will be hd 820 in year 2026? Well, my hd 600 now costs the same and even more than when I bought it and after replacing earpads and headband they are as good as new! So, hd 820 worth investing in my opinion. But it's not even the main thing! The listening experience I've got from hd 820 is beyond any money measuring. I don't want or need to use hd 600 anymore even when it's absolutely quiet in the room. I use headphones for "consuming" only, no content creation/monitoring of any kind. For gaming like PUBG and CS GO when you need to hear and pinpoint footsteps location hd 820 absolutely rocks. All designated "gaming" headphones are total crap in comparison (i've tried top tier Logitech, Sennheiser and SteelSeries headset offerings, lots of money wasted!).
20211215_003059.JPG
I drive 820 with creative sound blasterx AE-9. It has Sabre 32 ES9038Q2M DAC and a not-bad amp (cannot go higher -16dB with power, more than enough for 300ohm). Well, of course I'm going to invest in more serious stuff, but, for example, HDV820 does not seem appealing to me, it costs five times more than AE-9 and has the same Sabre32 DAC. For the beginning I'm thinking of upgrading opams on AE-9 (ordered LT1469CN8+OPA627BP combination to try out) and will be looking for some tube amp to connect to the AE-9's lineouts. It's gonna be interesting (and expensive). Listening to music via jriver direct ASIO connection to AE-9, for me it's the best quality I've ever listened to, though I am not spoiled with anything better than hd 600 and a-300$-usb dac+amp combo. So its may be a long way to go to the particularities of hi-def sound. Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #3,613 of 4,357
Just to confirm, after tons of reading this forum, can you put the 820 ear pads on the 800?

I think the 800 with these comfy 820 ear pads (which also adds a bit of extra clamp) would be the perfect headphone.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #3,614 of 4,357
Just to confirm, after tons of reading this forum, can you put the 820 ear pads on the 800?

I think the 800 with these comfy 820 ear pads (which also adds a bit of extra clamp) would be the perfect headphone.
I never tried when I had both, but I did have the Dekoni Elite Velour on the HD800, which tamed the treble some and were nice and luxurious feeling compared to stock pads.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #3,615 of 4,357
I do not think so.
If I remember correctly it is possible to put the pads of the HD820 on the HD800, but not the other way around.
The Dekoni pads, on the other hand, work on both headphones, but - in my opinion - distort the sound of the HD800. I tried them for a while, but then I preferred to put the originals back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back