Sennheiser HD820
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #3,437 of 4,370
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,439 of 4,370
My little sennheiser silver logo sticker fell off one side. Can't believe they use sticker. I wonder I can ask sennheiser for one lol. Build quality is better than hd800s but still have these little things.

What serial number are these to now? Mine is 1500 which is probably built in the first year of production. Hey later will be one of those low serial number one. I had a 1000 hd800 silver one and was easy to sell. Beyerdynamic t1 first gen people want high serial.

Mine came with 3 cables and I checked spec online looks like newer ones are only 2 cables now?

I'll try the headband tape to get it tighter. Should used a different headband all together.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #3,440 of 4,370
My little sennheiser silver logo sticker fell off one side. Can't believe they use sticker. I wonder I can ask sennheiser for one lol. Build quality is better than hd800s but still have these little things.

What serial number are these to now? Mine is 1500 which is probably built in the first year of production. Hey later will be one of those low serial number one. I had a 1000 hd800 silver one and was easy to sell. Beyerdynamic t1 first gen people want high serial.

Mine came with 3 cables and I checked spec online looks like newer ones are only 2 cables now?

I'll try the headband tape to get it tighter. Should used a different headband all together.
One of my stickers is starting to come off too :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #3,441 of 4,370

New meaning to "Sticker shock!" :frowning2:

I got one cable with my HD 800s (s, niot S) which were NOS but bought well after they were unobtanium.

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,442 of 4,370
Just picked up a preowned hd820. when i put it on and listen to it pretty loud wife said it leaks just as much as the hd800s which i got rid of a while ago lol. if i press the headphone against my face and the bass is quite a bit more enjoyable. is it just my face or a lot of people is like this? it doesn't have much clamping force. any aftermarket pads that can seal better?

i think it's an enjoyable sound. even without perfect seal the bass is a bit stronger than the hd800s. i sold my lcd xc for almost the price of this so it's not a bad trade. now i realized i have no planar left. comfort is much better than any lcd headphones because it's lighter. listening to some old rap from the 90s only in 320k format through hugo and it's pretty damn good hehe. time to get an ebay tidal again.
Just as a note I think I mentioned before, the HD820 is modeled for the HD800S sound - so the bass should not be the typical type of increased bass you would find in the average closed headphone. While it is true you can increase the bass by increasing the tension of the headphone against your face (compressing pads and reducing leakage), this also will increase boominess which the designer was specifically attempting to avoid with this design. It should be tight enough that it doesn't fall off your head, but the fit will feel slightly less tight than the HD800S and this is by design to allow some partial leakage of sound out of the pads to preserve a reference-level type sound with less boominess than a typical closed back.

The times I would only consider increasing tension on HD820 would be - #1 the headphone is literally falling off your head because its that loose, or there is a visible gap in the earcup seal, #2 big glasses that prevent the earcups from sealing normally. Otherwise, if you want the typical closed back heavy bass you are probably better off with a different headphone, as this one is meant to have a more lean, tight, reference-type sound... just with a bit more isolation from a loud environment than the HD800S offers.

I have found most of the major complaints regarding the HD820 are not regarding its actual spectacular performance once you really analyze them, but rather an expectations issue. People either expect it to sound *better* than the HD800S because it costs more, or they expect it to have huge amounts of bass because it is a closed back. Neither is true, because it is psychoacoustically modeled after the lean reference-type sound of the HD800S, and while it comes close to the HD800S it maybe is only 95% of the way there. The extra cost is due to the more complex design and materials that went into making a closed back that sounds like an HD800S.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #3,444 of 4,370
Thinking of grabbing a Singxer SA-1 for my HD820 and 800. Thoughts?

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #3,445 of 4,370
Thinking of grabbing a Singxer SA-1 for my HD820 and 800. Thoughts?
I haven’t heard it but it’s supposed to smooth, so it should be a good fit. Zeos said he couldn’t tell the difference between that and a GS-X Mini, for whatever that’s worth.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #3,447 of 4,370
I haven’t heard it but it’s supposed to smooth, so it should be a good fit. Zeos said he couldn’t tell the difference between that and a GS-X Mini, for whatever that’s worth.
GS-X mini is not particularly good with HD800S/820

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #3,448 of 4,370
GS-X mini is not particularly good with HD800S/820

Ah yeah I think I am just gonna grab the V280 you recommended way back.
Looking to upgrade my DAC+AMP soon

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #3,449 of 4,370
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #3,450 of 4,370
Well at this point you'd probably be better with Cavalli Liquid Gold X if you want solid state, it wasn't available back then. It also has a decent DAC built in.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e..._Liquid_Gold_X_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

That is actually very neat, I remember I tried the Liquid Platinum for a bit but ended up returning without any tube rolling. It was real nice but I couldn't really warrant the purchase when I had the LD MK2.
My LD MK8 recently broke and is currently looking into being repaired but nobody in my city has any clue what this amp is unfortunately.

You think it's better than the Platinum? Maybe tube rolling the Platinum would change things

EDIT:
The Liquid Gold review is explaining the difference between the two.

After reading very surprised it is a better amp than the platinum. Very interesting, may grab this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back