Sennheiser HD820
Sep 15, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #3,286 of 4,370
Yes, the loki is one of my all time favorite tweaks. I had the same setup as you, Hugo 2 to the Loki out to the GL Mk2 and it was one of my favorite setups. I was able to tweak the sound of the HD820's to my liking. My only issue with the HD820's was fit. I do think the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT's are right there is resolution and soundstage with the HD820's. They beat the HD820's is sound to my ears.
Oh I know literally nothing about ATH-AWKT. That’s a good tip. I see you also have MDR-Z1R and LCD-XC. I know the Z1R’s warm sound signature, but haven’t listened to XC. How’s that compare to the 820?

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #3,287 of 4,370
Oh I know literally nothing about ATH-AWKT. That’s a good tip. I see you also have MDR-Z1R and LCD-XC. I know the Z1R’s warm sound signature, but haven’t listened to XC. How’s that compare to the 820?
The XC’s has a sharper image, everything seems to be more cohesive and instruments occupy their own space. Notes seem crisper on the XC’s as well. The XC’s have more impact and slam with a full sounding midrange, but the HD820’s midrange is more balanced. The HD820’s bass is better than all of its predecessors but it falls behind the XC’s when it comes to quality and quantity. The HD820 has a smoother, more extended treble. The XC’s treble is a bit uneven even though it has good clarity.

The HD820’s easily wins the soundstage category but like I said earlier, I think the XC’s have better imaging. The HD820’s have the best tonality of the HD8xx series of headphones to my ears. I really liked their sound, but the XC’s sound livelier. If given a chance you should get a listen to the XC’s. They are a really enjoyable headphone with a different sound than the HD820’s.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #3,288 of 4,370
The XC’s has a sharper image, everything seems to be more cohesive and instruments occupy their own space. Notes seem crisper on the XC’s as well. The XC’s have more impact and slam with a full sounding midrange, but the HD820’s midrange is more balanced. The HD820’s bass is better than all of its predecessors but it falls behind the XC’s when it comes to quality and quantity. The HD820 has a smoother, more extended treble. The XC’s treble is a bit uneven even though it has good clarity.

The HD820’s easily wins the soundstage category but like I said earlier, I think the XC’s have better imaging. The HD820’s have the best tonality of the HD8xx series of headphones to my ears. I really liked their sound, but the XC’s sound livelier. If given a chance you should get a listen to the XC’s. They are a really enjoyable headphone with a different sound than the HD820’s.
Thank you for that really fantastic comparison. Might just have to order a pair to give them a try.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #3,290 of 4,370
Okay....I just joined the HD820 team. Got it from an open-box deal from MusicDirect. I have a really good seal thank to my rather gigantic head. I have the HD800S as well and remembering not liking them much when I checked them out in Japan at the store. Guess what....I actually like them quite a bit even next HD800S out my Headamp GSX MK1 with upgraded Dynalo Plus modules. I notice a bit of a recessed midrange but the overall sound is more fun than my HD800S. Of course, no stock cable here. I use a premium Moon-Audio Black Dragon in balanced termination.

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #3,291 of 4,370
Okay....I just joined the HD820 team. Got it from an open-box deal from MusicDirect. I have a really good seal thank to my rather gigantic head. I have the HD800S as well and remembering not liking them much when I checked them out in Japan at the store. Guess what....I actually like them quite a bit even next HD800S out my Headamp GSX MK1 with upgraded Dynalo Plus modules. I notice a bit of a recessed midrange but the overall sound is more fun than my HD800S. Of course, no stock cable here. I use a premium Moon-Audio Black Dragon in balanced termination.

Hd820 is quite a bit different than hd800s

Will be posting in depth comparison next week

Part of reason is gsx is not ideal for hd800s (or even hd820) but hd820 more forgiving

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #3,292 of 4,370
Hd820 is quite a bit different than hd800s

Will be posting in depth comparison next week

Part of reason is gsx is not ideal for hd800s (or even hd820) but hd820 more forgiving

My GSX is a MKI with MKII modules but modified with Elna Silmic II capacitors and I installed a 4.4 mm Pentaconn jack on the front faceplate recently. Also, the MKI PSU is even better than the MKII thanks to better capacitors and discrete regulators. It sounds warm and awesome with HD800S and HD820. Looking forward to your review. I feel that the 820 is more forgiving as well.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,293 of 4,370
My GSX is a MKI with MKII modules but modified with Elna Silmic II capacitors and I installed a 4.4 mm Pentaconn jack on the front faceplate recently. Also, the MKI PSU is even better than the MKII thanks to better capacitors and discrete regulators. It sounds warm and awesome with HD800S and HD820. Looking forward to your review. I feel that the 820 is more forgiving as well.
Glad you were able to mod it to get it to sound good w/ hd8xx, they are beasts but super picky

Some tube amps round the sound out a bit and layer up the mids which can be really good synergy with hd8xx

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,294 of 4,370
Glad you were able to mod it to get it to sound good w/ hd8xx, they are beasts but super picky

Some tube amps round the sound out a bit and layer up the mids which can be really good synergy with hd8xx

This particular one even stock is already more forgiving than the GSX MKII with even bigger sound field. The MKII is a bit harder hitting, but I prefer this version of the GSX over the GSX MKII. The Silmic capacitors just gave it extra warmth and better bass bloom. I love the 4.4 mm balanced that I had installed on them. In stock form, balanced output is via dual 3 pins XLR only.

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #3,295 of 4,370
This particular one even stock is already more forgiving than the GSX MKII with even bigger sound field. The MKII is a bit harder hitting, but I prefer this version of the GSX over the GSX MKII. The Silmic capacitors just gave it extra warmth and better bass bloom. I love the 4.4 mm balanced that I had installed on them. In stock form, balanced output is via dual 3 pins XLR only.
Sounds badass. Did you do that work on it?

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #3,296 of 4,370

Attachments

• F68F8A26-FCD4-438E-952E-7F96014C0411.jpeg
    F68F8A26-FCD4-438E-952E-7F96014C0411.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #3,298 of 4,370
Sep 22, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,300 of 4,370

Sounds like he was more bothered by how the frequency response looked on paper than how it sounded. "Here is the frequency response, let me review it instead of how the headphone sounds"

I have both hd800s and hd820 and both sound excellent for different content

Hd820's weird FR is part of why it sounds like an open back headphones and doesn't have the bloat and closed off soundstage of most closed backs. But folks like this are gonna have to get over how the FR looks on paper because humans perceive sound differently in closed vs open due to sound pressure differences and hence FR will need to look different if you want it to sound like an open back

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back