Sennheiser HD820
Apr 17, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2,596 of 4,370
Just out of curiosity, have any HD820 owners noticed condensation build up on the inside of the glass after a listening session?

Mine appear to steam up slightly only after an hour or so listening.

It doesn't take long for it to evaporate / clear, but it's something I've only just noticed.

In theory I guess this is probably quite natural , cool room with body heat from having the cups over your ears would cause condensation on glass.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Theres a leak with your glass? wow, that sucks.... I would send it in right away...

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,597 of 4,370
It would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this and whether it's just a natural thing to expect.
I would describe it as the exact same affect of getting in your car and the windows fogging slightly.

I honestly don't believe it's a fault - just a natural affect of glass steaming up when warm on one side and cooler outside?
I may reach out to Sennheiser for comment.

If I get the opportunity I will share some pictures next time I try them.

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,598 of 4,370
It would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this and whether it's just a natural thing to expect.
I would describe it as the exact same affect of getting in your car and the windows fogging slightly.

I honestly don't believe it's a fault - just a natural affect of glass steaming up when warm on one side and cooler outside?
I may reach out to Sennheiser for comment.

If I get the opportunity I will share some pictures next time I try them.

if thats the case, wouldnt it happen outside of the headphone and not inside? I would imagine if condensation built up inside of the glass, that means water can form and damage the driver, although thats really extreme, but weird stuff happens.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #2,599 of 4,370
if thats the case, wouldnt it happen outside of the headphone and not inside? I would imagine if condensation built up inside of the glass, that means water can form and damage the driver, although thats really extreme, but weird stuff happens.
Hmmm, you make a good point.
I've dropped a support ticket to Sennheiser so I will share any feedback. Hope to put up a picture on my next post.
Thanks.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,600 of 4,370
it makes sense that condensation would build up inside, if the outside temp is diff than the inside of the cup. Im sure it happens with non-transparent closed backs as well

you just cant see it so you dont know and dont worry about it. I would take steps to let it dry out and minimize/eliminate the condensation

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #2,601 of 4,370
I would honestly just contact Sennheiser, it doesnt hurt and it doesnt prevent them from denying your warranty due to negligence.

Let us know too, I'm curious, I never seen it but may happen in the future.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #2,602 of 4,370
I live in Hawaii. Mine did that recently on a crazy rainy day. Not worried about it at all.

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,609 of 4,370
upload_2019-4-23_12-44-1.png

Just following up with a picture.
As you can see there is condensation build up on interior of the glass. I'm still waiting a response from Sennheiser (but it has been a holiday weekend).

I'm suspecting that this is normal and probably affects all closed back headphones in some shape or form, but due to glass being used in it's design, it's just more obvious.

I will say that since the weather has changed over the weekend and it's warmed up considerably, I've not had any condensation build up (when listening).

This is leading me to believe it's a combination of climate/atmospheric conditions (very cold last week) and / or excessive moisture in the air at the time when I've been listening .
I'll run some further tests in my listening room with a dehumidifier later.

:wink: (Quick Edit) - It took about 10 to 15 mins for the glass to clear.

UPDATE - Issue is resolved (environment condition) - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd820.846244/page-175#post-14916032

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back