Sennheiser HD820
Mar 29, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #2,567 of 4,370
Is there a Sennheiser rep on these forums?
I’d like to officially log a formal concern with the fit issue. Knowing how well these sound when the fit is right and knowing that you have to struggle with fit 98% of the time, it makes the price very hard to swallow.

I feel like the fact that they recycled the design of the 800 ended up hurting these headphones because there were scenarios that they didn’t account for in terms of fit. I’ve gone through multiple closed backs sets (Z1R, z7, Denon 7200, cheap Bluetooth ones, etc...), the one thing that’s common between the good ones was some type of material on the pads that help with sealing.
In the case of the HD820, it feels that Sennheiser couldn’t figure out how to make this seal. I could think of a couple of solutions like spring loading the ear cup mounts, using a different shape headband, have two attach point for the cups vs just one etc...

I can’t help but thing this is a design defect with the headband assembly, it works for the lighter cups of the 800 and 800S but has not been adapted for the 820.

I seriously hope that Sennheiser reads these forums and is actively doing something to fix this - I’m seriously considering getting rid of these ... I can’t even imagine the number of people that skipped these because they sounded like half of what they should really be because of bad fit...

This is one case where having multiple cans in rotation isn’t so good cause you just can’t figure this out quickly enough between rotating other cans and other gear (amp, dac, dap, etc....) ...

On a lighter note, lesson learned is next time I buy something, it’ll be in priority rotation for the duration of the return period ... having gone through the entire 600, 650, 700, 800S, I figured Sennheiser couldn’t screw this up but should have known, after all they made the HD700 ... sorry, couldn’t resist ;p

/A concerned owner...

Fat Edit: after some fiddling, I was able to get the fit better after positioning the cups completely vertical and tilting them before putting them on.
I then proceeded to follow some previous instructions on this thread to carefully move the cups up and down and then front to back to try to get a good seal.
Coming from the HD800S, I tried to just drop the 820 on my head without worrying about the fit...

I still don't know what to make of the fact that I've got to spend a few minutes trying a few of my known tracks to see if my fit is right before starting a listening session... hmmmm:confused:

In my adventures trying to get a good fit, I also read the user manual and found something interesting about the cables... Sennheiser advises to let them completely unfolded for a few days after taking them out of the box before starting to roll them up ... I must say it has made may cables much more relaxed on both the 800S and the 820 - I can coil them up easier now.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,568 of 4,370
Is there a Sennheiser rep on these forums?
I’d like to officially log a formal concern with the fit issue. Knowing how well these sound when the fit is right and knowing that you have to struggle with fit 98% of the time, it makes the price very hard to swallow.

I feel like the fact that they recycled the design of the 800 ended up hurting these headphones because there were scenarios that they didn’t account for in terms of fit. I’ve gone through multiple closed backs sets (Z1R, z7, Denon 7200, cheap Bluetooth ones, etc...), the one thing that’s common between the good ones was some type of material on the pads that help with sealing.
In the case of the HD820, it feels that Sennheiser couldn’t figure out how to make this seal. I could think of a couple of solutions like spring loading the ear cup mounts, using a different shape headband, have two attach point for the cups vs just one etc...

I can’t help but thing this is a design defect with the headband assembly, it works for the lighter cups of the 800 and 800S but has not been adapted for the 820.

I seriously hope that Sennheiser reads these forums and is actively doing something to fix this - I’m seriously considering getting rid of these ... I can’t even imagine the number of people that skipped these because they sounded like half of what they should really be because of bad fit...

This is one case where having multiple cans in rotation isn’t so good cause you just can’t figure this out quickly enough between rotating other cans and other gear (amp, dac, dap, etc....) ...

On a lighter note, lesson learned is next time I buy something, it’ll be in priority rotation for the duration of the return period ... having gone through the entire 600, 650, 700, 800S, I figured Sennheiser couldn’t screw this up but should have known, after all they made the HD700 ... sorry, couldn’t resist ;p

/A concerned owner...

maybe only a select few, I never had any problem with fitment

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,569 of 4,370
Definitely possible that it's my head shape\size - I did go through this thread searching for fit issues, found some cases similar to mine ...

Are you able to get to a point where slightly pressing against the ear cups no longer changes the sound (most audible in the bass)?
On my other closed backs that seal properly, once they are on, I can do slight presses on the ear cups and the sound stays the same. I have never been able to get to that point with the HD820 unless I keep my hands permanently on the cups.

Cheers,
maybe only a select few, I never had any problem with fitment

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,570 of 4,370
Definitely possible that it's my head shape\size - I did go through this thread searching for fit issues, found some cases similar to mine ...

Are you able to get to a point where slightly pressing against the ear cups no longer changes the sound (most audible in the bass)?
On my other closed backs that seal properly, once they are on, I can do slight presses on the ear cups and the sound stays the same. I have never been able to get to that point with the HD820 unless I keep my hands permanently on the cups.

Cheers,

do you have a bony jaw line?

my face is round so I have no problem, bass slam pretty hard, the back of my throat feels it every time, the attack is not as fast as Planar magnetic but pretty damn good.

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,571 of 4,370
Have you consider to change the ear cups/pads?

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,572 of 4,370
Round shaved head and bony jaw line, glasses and tall ears so I could definitely be considered edge case :). I absolutely love the ear cups of the HD800, one of the few where my ears don’t feel too claustrophobic so the 820 was a natural option to try for me in my search for a closed back.

I feel like I’m getting close but just wish it was as easy a fit as other cans.

do you have a bony jaw line?

my face is round so I have no problem, bass slam pretty hard, the back of my throat feels it every time, the attack is not as fast as Planar magnetic but pretty damn good.

Not on the 820 but I did try Dekoni full leather pads on the 800S before I got the 820. I thought it made the 800S sound like a banshee because some of the sound was now getting trapped. It also created a weird ear pressure situation so I now stay away from pas rolling the hd8x0 series but I might try for the 820 if I can find something that fits\seals like a Sony closedback while preserving the sound signature.

Have you consider to change the ear cups/pads?

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,573 of 4,370
Round shaved head and bony jaw line, glasses and tall ears so I could definitely be considered edge case :). I absolutely love the ear cups of the HD800, one of the few where my ears don’t feel too claustrophobic so the 820 was a natural option to try for me in my search for a closed back.

I feel like I’m getting close but just wish it was as easy a fit as other cans.

Not on the 820 but I did try Dekoni full leather pads on the 800S before I got the 820. I thought it made the 800S sound like a banshee because some of the sound was now getting trapped. It also created a weird ear pressure situation so I now stay away from pas rolling the hd8x0 series but I might try for the 820 if I can find something that fits\seals like a Sony closedback while preserving the sound signature.

lol dont know what to tell you man, get fat? lol benefit of getting fat.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #2,574 of 4,370
Just thought I'd add a few comments on some recent purchases used with the 820. Bought a used Hugo 2 and was worried they might be too detailed, especially since my main amps have been tubes (Woo WA7 & Loxjie P20). Well they bring out details I've not heard before and I don't find the combo fatiguing at all. Noticed some birds tweeting in a Jack Johnson song I've heard hundreds of times (without hearing birds) for example. Excuse my poor use of terminology, but with some songs the bass is such that at times it's like little puffs of air hitting my ears, which was surprising and wonderful. Of my limited collection, the 820s seem to reach a whole new level which my other phones don't quite as much with the Hugo 2.

On the flip side, got some Dekoni velour pads via Massdrop (for Focal Elex too). While comfortable, the pads ruin both for me, but especially the 820s. They seem like a mess with these pads compared to stock. Was hoping that by being thicker they would improve the fit (and bass) on my smallish head, but they're just blech. No problems getting them to fit at least.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #2,575 of 4,370
Just thought I'd add a few comments on some recent purchases used with the 820. Bought a used Hugo 2 and was worried they might be too detailed, especially since my main amps have been tubes (Woo WA7 & Loxjie P20). Well they bring out details I've not heard before and I don't find the combo fatiguing at all. Noticed some birds tweeting in a Jack Johnson song I've heard hundreds of times (without hearing birds) for example. Excuse my poor use of terminology, but with some songs the bass is such that at times it's like little puffs of air hitting my ears, which was surprising and wonderful. Of my limited collection, the 820s seem to reach a whole new level which my other phones don't quite as much with the Hugo 2.

On the flip side, got some Dekoni velour pads via Massdrop (for Focal Elex too). While comfortable, the pads ruin both for me, but especially the 820s. They seem like a mess with these pads compared to stock. Was hoping that by being thicker they would improve the fit (and bass) on my smallish head, but they're just blech. No problems getting them to fit at least.

Chord Hugo 2 have the filter setting, did you use it?

I heard the original chord is more neutral, I found it to be good listening.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #2,576 of 4,370
Chord Hugo 2 have the filter setting, did you use it?

I heard the original chord is more neutral, I found it to be good listening.
Probably my 48 year old ears, but I hear no difference in any of the filter or crossfeed options. So I leave filter at 1 and crossfeed off. Haven't played with other phones with the Hugo much yet.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #2,578 of 4,370
Well I can't hear above 12 Khz, so maybe that's the issue.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #2,579 of 4,370
tenor.gif

Lol.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #2,580 of 4,370
Well they bring out details I've not heard before and I don't find the combo fatiguing at all. Noticed some birds tweeting in a Jack Johnson song I've heard hundreds of times (without hearing birds) for example.

Which Jack Johnson song did you notice the bird tweeting details?

I would like to see if my set up reveals similar details (AKG K550/ER3 XR's + AE5 PC sound card) probably not since its the poor man's substitute in comparison to the mighty HD820's !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back