Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #6,258 of 6,504
By all means, I want to see and know more!!
Ok so I've now met Axel Grell and listened to the HE1. Just wow!
Meantime the 820 amp is on demo and there is a sense that some kind of new top of the range headphone is under development, but they won't say what or when but near future!
The HE1 is remarkable as it is so clean and so clear and makes the HD800S sound like a front row seat compared to standing right in front of the performer.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #6,259 of 6,504
Meantime the 820 amp is on demo and there is a sense that some kind of new top of the range headphone is under development, but they won't say what or when but near future!
The HE1 is remarkable as it is so clean and so clear and makes the HD800S sound like a front row seat compared to standing right in front of the performer.

Glad to hear you've been having fun in there!

Can't wait to hear what Sennheiser is going to give us for their next best headphone, if they're working on something!

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,260 of 6,504
Launch Years
HD 600 1997
HD 650 2003 (HD600 refresh a 6 year update cycle)
HD 800 2009 (brand new HP + driver design 12 years update cycle)
HD 800S 2015 (HD800 refresh a 6 year update cycle)

HD xyz... 2017 or 2018 (brand new HP + driver design well nearly a decade since the last great big thing)

We seem to be approaching the update cycle maybe an HD1000 is about to be unleashed.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #6,261 of 6,504
My guess is a top of the line closed back if anything. The 800S hasn't been out very long, so unlikely for something to replace that at this point. Who knows though - it could be a complete revamp of an open back technology. That would be much more exciting. Something to challenge the Utopia but with a lower price tag.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6,263 of 6,504
Thanks @Kramer01 for putting up the Senn chronological order up! It's amazing to think of the HD600 coming out in 1997... I almost can't believe it ha. The list really puts things in perspective for me, in regards to Sennheiser's BOSS status. I am listening to the HD800 right now as I type this, and just floored to think of what new is coming out from them.

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #6,264 of 6,504
Glad to hear you've been having fun in there!

Can't wait to hear what Sennheiser is going to give us for their next best headphone, if they're working on something!

Glad I saw this post. I just missed out on buying a couple different HD800s. Even though I'm new to this game, I have been craving wanting to upgrade to them. I started with the 598s last Prime day. That opened my stubborn brain that headphones are all the same. Then jumped to the 6XX and now also have a LCD2s. I might wait till after this in case something new comes down the pipes.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #6,265 of 6,504
Just auditioned the HD-800S on Saturday.
The auditioning setup didn't do them justice though.
I was using tidal HiFi on my phone streaming over WiFi to what look liked a chromecast with an optical cable to a Hegel HD12. Then using the 1/4 headphone jack on the DAC.
Felt like good cans but the lack of detail was immense, does the chromecast really support HiFi streaming? Had more detailed sound from a mojo last time I tried it(this was a year ago, I might be wrong)
They had the same ish chromecast setup for some speakers another dude was auditioning, sounded muddy and unimpressive.
Or am I just spoiled by my home setup?

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #6,266 of 6,504
Just auditioned the HD-800S on Saturday.
The auditioning setup didn't do them justice though.
I was using tidal HiFi on my phone streaming over WiFi to what look liked a chromecast with an optical cable to a Hegel HD12. Then using the 1/4 headphone jack on the DAC.
Felt like good cans but the lack of detail was immense, does the chromecast really support HiFi streaming? Had more detailed sound from a mojo last time I tried it(this was a year ago, I might be wrong)
They had the same ish chromecast setup for some speakers another dude was auditioning, sounded muddy and unimpressive.
Or am I just spoiled by my home setup?
Hmmm lack of detail and HD800s are not 2 words I have seen together before. Not sure what was off but it doesn't sound right.

If you had more detailed sound with it out of mojo then I don't think it has to do with your enjoyment of the system at home either

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #6,267 of 6,504
Love my 800S with my Yggdrasil and a Oppo HA-1 HP Amp....add Roon and you've got nirvana baby!

Nirvana baby.....

cover.jpg

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #6,268 of 6,504

A HD900 is what I'm waiting for as my home headphones and my IE800 for portable or sleeping.

The only thing I worry about now because of the silly prices for flagship headphones lately, is that Sennheiser will have to sit it at around 4 grand because it might make it not look up to par with the competition if it's set at a lower price.

Hasnt it been almost 10 years since HD800?

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #6,269 of 6,504
It's been a year since hd800S and possibly the best hp for the money, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back