Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #6,241 of 6,504
I don't have an issue with the weight. They actually fit me fairly well. I can definitely see how it could become an issue for people with smaller heads (not a problem I have, lol). What DAC are you using? I definitely feel like my Codex is very, very revealing. Maybe too much so for the HD800S.

I'm not saying its not smooth. But, it's definitely not as smooth as the LCD-4's. I believe in tuning with EQ, so I will invest some time in that. I see your on a tube amp. Mine is SS, while it is a lush sounding SS amp, it still isn't as lush as tubes. It may just be that tubes are needed to tame the HD800S to the point that I would be satisfied with it.

EDIT: I don't want anyone to think i'm speaking badly about the HD800S. Its just a bit of a change. I really want to like them.

My transition from an Audeze to the HD800S was a dramatic one too, albeit it's the lesser LCD3C. Thankfully it's a difference I really enjoyed. :darthsmile:

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #6,242 of 6,504
Do you mean the CMA800R? That's an amp I may consider in future. So it's less edgy than the Jot while still being neutral? Any other ways that you find it superior?
I was referring to the 600i, or the 800i/r. I feel like the 600i does a great job with it, and same with the 800r.

I have heard the Jot, but given the rules on here, I am not allowed to give opinions on companies I am not a dealer for.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #6,243 of 6,504
I was referring to the 600i, or the 800i/r. I feel like the 600i does a great job with it, and same with the 800r.

I have heard the Jot, but given the rules on here, I am not allowed to give opinions on companies I am not a dealer for.

I respect your professionalism. The Questyle amps talks about being current driven. Pardon my severely limited technical knowledge, but wouldn't high impedance cans like the HD800S need amps with good voltages to perform at their best?

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #6,244 of 6,504
I respect your professionalism. The Questyle amps talks about being current driven. Pardon my severely limited technical knowledge, but wouldn't high impedance cans like the HD800S need amps with good voltages to perform at their best?

I don't feel like their restricted in any way?

This is kind of funny- I was trying to find the part of the Questyle bio where they talk about the creator of the current mode technology owning an HD800, and not liking the amps at the time, so he created his own.... (I believe it's somewhere in their "about" selection on the website). Anyways in looking for it I found this-
IMG_7274.PNG
Anyways I couldn't find that quote, maybe Because I am using mobile to find it?

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #6,245 of 6,504
I've been wondering about the HD800S so I decided to get a set from the Cable Co to demo at home on my setup. I received them Monday and have put a fair amount of listening in. I am reserving a final decision on them for a few days but just wanted to stop in and give my initial impressions. My chain is as follows.

MacBookPro running Roon > Cardas Clear USB > Ifi Iusb 3.0 > Cardas Clear USB > Ayre Codex > Cardas Clear interconnects > Violectric V281

My initial impressions is that they are a bit too overdone on the top end for my liking. The main cans that I am comparing them too are LCD-4's. The LCD-4's are much smoother and easier for me to listen too for an extended period of time without missing out on any details. I don't feel the HD800S is lacking in bass at all though. The bass is actually quite satisfying with just a touch of eq added.

I have them through the 17th so I am definitely going to be listening to them extensively during the time I have them. I really want to like these things! Ha

I have no problem with using EQ as it is already applied extensively throughout all the music we listen too so I will be setting down and trying to work out a curve that is satisfying for me with the HD800S. I'll check back in later and give a progress report.
The treble and detail of the LCD-4 must really be a step above the LCD-3, guess I will have to audition a pair someday. If the treble of the HD-800S seems to be over the top with your Violectric V281, it may be your DAC. I'm using Gumby > V280 which I do not consider to be bright at all with the HD-800S. Of course, I'm in my late fifties so that may also play a role as well.

Definitely give the HD-800S as much listening time as possible. Maybe your brain just needs to adjust and that may take some time.

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #6,246 of 6,504
I don't feel like their restricted in any way?

This is kind of funny- I was trying to find the part of the Questyle bio where they talk about the creator of the current mode technology owning an HD800, and not liking the amps at the time, so he created his own.... (I believe it's somewhere in their "about" selection on the website). Anyways in looking for it I found this-

Anyways I couldn't find that quote, maybe Because I am using mobile to find it?

Thanks for directing me there. I'll have a read. But it does seem like it will have no trouble with the HD800S.

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #6,247 of 6,504
The treble and detail of the LCD-4 must really be a step above the LCD-3, guess I will have to audition a pair someday. If the treble of the HD-800S seems to be over the top with your Violectric V281, it may be your DAC. I'm using Gumby > V280 which I do not consider to be bright at all with the HD-800S. Of course, I'm in my late fifties so that may also play a role as well.

Definitely give the HD-800S as much listening time as possible. Maybe your brain just needs to adjust and that may take some time.

Its a BIG step from the LCD-3 to the LCD-4. I had a set of 3's but got rid of them. The 4's aren't in any way hyped on the top end but everything is presented well and where it should be, which is a lot more than I can say for the 3's.

I've been listening to the HD800S pretty much all day. They are starting to grow on me.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #6,248 of 6,504
I've been spending time comparing my HD800S to Utopia which I have on home demo at the moment. I more or less agree with Tyll's comparison of the two, but I wouldn't give such an emphatic win to Utopia. They are definitely smoother, fuller and overall more naturally balanced than my HD800S, but I could do with just a little more air and sparkle up top from Utopia to make them tonally perfect to my ears.

In short, I prefer Utopia's bass and mids but I prefer my HD800S's top end and superior spaciousness.

Purchasing Utopia was never on the cards as I couldn't possibly afford them, but having them on demo has been extremely useful because I believe I can capture some of Utopia's "palpability" by applying a little parametric EQ to tilt my HD800S's a little more toward Utopia's tonal balance.

I would therefore welcome advice on possible EQ settings to try to achieve this outcome? All I've tried so far is a 2dB boost at 1kHz with a Q=2, which has helped to add a little more presence and weight to the HD800S's mids. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #6,249 of 6,504
I've had a brief listen to the HD800s and am impressed with the sound I'm hearing (even in an open room retail space prone to noise)

Tilting heavily (very) towards purchasing one (although my Finance Minister (aka wife) would argue that you only have 1 pair of ears (yup, there are other headphone in the collection - who doesn't? :p).

No problem in the sound department, ticking all the right box. Cosmetically, I do have a little reservation about the build (a little to modern / techno for my taste, but hey it's the sound that matters). Comfort of the pads though, I do think that I would prefer a leather like material. Anyone have any suggestions / experience with alternative pads and where I can get them?

Any input would be appreciated, and if I've posted at a wrong thread, do let me know and my apology if I've deviated the topic..

Thank you all!

Had a brief listening session today with the HD800s. Impressive.

I'm wondering though... are there any alternative ear pads (preferable, leather / leather like material) in the market for HD800s? I did a quick search on this thread and did not managed to pick up much.

Anyone tried these before? -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Softer-Repl...nnheiser-HD800-HD800S-Headphone-/112377155076

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #6,250 of 6,504
I've had a brief listen to the HD800s and am impressed with the sound I'm hearing (even in an open room retail space prone to noise)

Tilting heavily (very) towards purchasing one (although my Finance Minister (aka wife) would argue that you only have 1 pair of ears (yup, there are other headphone in the collection - who doesn't? :p).

Buy her something she likes (and kinda expensive) and not on her birthday/anniversary. The get the HD800S on your birthday/Christmas. Works for me!

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #6,251 of 6,504
I've been spending time comparing my HD800S to Utopia which I have on home demo at the moment. I more or less agree with Tyll's comparison of the two, but I wouldn't give such an emphatic win to Utopia. They are definitely smoother, fuller and overall more naturally balanced than my HD800S, but I could do with just a little more air and sparkle up top from Utopia to make them tonally perfect to my ears. In short, I prefer Utopia's bass and mids but I prefer my HD800S's top end and superior spaciousness. Purchasing Utopia was never on the cards as I couldn't possibly afford them, but having them on demo has been extremely useful because I believe I can capture some of Utopia's "palpability" by applying a little parametric EQ to tilt my HD800S's a little more toward Utopia's tonal balance. I would therefore welcome advice on possible EQ settings to try to achieve this outcome. All I've tried so far is a 2dB boost at 1kHz with a Q=2, which has helped to add a little more presence and weight to the HD800S's mids.
I recently did this comparison also and am even less convinced about the superiority of the Utopia. The bass is more fulsome but I am not truly sure it is more extended. The mid range on the 2 headphones was different but of equal quality to me in that I could happily live with either version. The treble section was a win for the 800S as I felt the Utopia treble was slightly rolled off. The key differential tome was the difference in stage depth (not width where they were quite similar) and here the 800S was a winner for me. So when you factor in the massive price difference I wouldn't pick the Utopia over the 800S even if I had the money. I think if you want to experiment with EQ just add a bit at a time

No problem in the sound department, ticking all the right box. Cosmetically, I do have a little reservation about the build (a little to modern / techno for my taste, but hey it's the sound that matters). Comfort of the pads though, I do think that I would prefer a leather like material. Anyone have any suggestions / experience with alternative pads and where I can get them?

Any input would be appreciated, and if I've posted at a wrong thread, do let me know and my apology if I've deviated the topic..

Thank you all!

Thank you all!
I think you will find that the build of the HD800 is determined by its performance and that includes the pad material. I believe that Sennheiser wanted to make a headphone with low levels of reflected vibrational energy getting in the way of the drivers doing their work. The headphones are very comfortable indeed even when listening over long periods and that is partly due to the weight distribution which feels very well spread and the pads which don't make your ears sweat the way some leathers do. Also unless you listen to your headphones while looking in a mirror then you wont see them while you are wearing them. I think they are outstanding headphones and despite the number of newer headphones now at ever escalating prices I have not heard anything better at this price or quite a bit above (including the Utopias) although its a while since I heard any of the better Stax models. Then again this is only my opinion and is not as relevant to you as your own opinion.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #6,252 of 6,504
I think they are outstanding headphones and despite the number of newer headphones now at ever escalating prices I have not heard anything better at this price or quite a bit above (including the Utopias)

Prices are escalating to a point it is quite difficult to understand.

Sound, of course is the predominant criteria. Just to clarify, I do think the HD800s is gorgeous in its own right notwithstanding my personal aesthetic preference. And yes, have read that change / mod the pads may affect the sound / headphone sound production quality, just wondering if there any who took the leap anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back