Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #6,286 of 6,504
As someone else said in another thread, isn't it funny how "burn in" always results in improvements in sound? You never hear anyone say: they sounded great the first hour but crappy after 100 hours! Sorry, but I am skeptic too regarding appreciable and objectively measured changes in sound after burn in.
I know with bass strings there are people who like them brand new, people who hate them brand new, and people who like them old and gunky.
My dad often changes strings couple of weeks before a concert, and some of his buds change em before every concert(my dad plays hard and they tend to stretch/snap alot during first plays)

But I have not heard of any one changing speaker cables weekly or monthly.. If burn in changes the characteristics of the metal there must be someone who prefers Virgin metal.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #6,287 of 6,504
I know with bass strings there are people who like them brand new, people who hate them brand new, and people who like them old and gunky.
My dad often changes strings couple of weeks before a concert, and some of his buds change em before every concert(my dad plays hard and they tend to stretch/snap alot during first plays)

But I have not heard of any one changing speaker cables weekly or monthly.. If burn in changes the characteristics of the metal there must be someone who prefers Virgin metal.
Cable burn-in is complete nonsense and while headphone driver burn-in does change the driver flexibility, the change is so incredibly miniscule that no human being would be able to perceive the change.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,288 of 6,504
Cable burn-in is complete nonsense and while headphone driver burn-in does change the driver flexibility, the change is so incredibly miniscule that no human being would be able to perceive the change.
I never said I believed in cable burn in:p
I do believe In companies testing for faults before shipping it out, and in component warmup. I think many mistake those two for burn in, especially the latter.

To quote sennheiser
"At Sennheiser, we do not have an official stance regarding the theory that headphones need a "burn in" period. Sennheiser headphones are designed to sound great from the first moment they are plugged in."
https://sennheiseruk.happyfox.com/kb/article/43-information-on-burn-in-theory

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #6,289 of 6,504

Brilliant!

Yes where are these virgin metal lovers, surely replacing ones cable before it is burnt-in is the path to summit-fi nirvana!?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #6,290 of 6,504
For headphones, there are some measurements before and after burn-in. There are apparently some minor differences.

However, don't expect that if a headphone sounds bad before burn-in, that you all of a sudden you will like it after burn-in as the differences are probably not that big.

For cables, I have no clue. I don't really pay attention to it to be honest.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,291 of 6,504
The Sennheiser boys are bringing some new releases and won't tell me what they are bringing

Wooopppp!!! Can't wait to find out what the new releases are!

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #6,293 of 6,504
Any interesting unveiling by Sennheiser?

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #6,294 of 6,504
Any interesting unveiling by Sennheiser?

A couple new Bluetooth headphones and a new amplifier that is pretty cool. The amp incorporates the new 4.4m Pentaconn balanced connections. Are they trying to capture Sony Z1R owners attention? Are they hinting at their new direction? Honestly I don't know .....even our Sennheiser representative didn't seem to have a clue.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #6,295 of 6,504
Ahh... looks like HD800s continue the reign!

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #6,297 of 6,504
A couple new Bluetooth headphones and a new amplifier that is pretty cool. The amp incorporates the new 4.4m Pentaconn balanced connections. Are they trying to capture Sony Z1R owners attention? Are they hinting at their new direction? Honestly I don't know .....even our Sennheiser representative didn't seem to have a clue.

It's not that. Pentaconn is becoming the new industry standard, most guys in the industry are giving it thumbs up and implementing it, because it's better than both the 4-pin connector (both smaller and bigger contact surface) and 2,5mm trrs obviously (bigger and less prone to destruction:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back