Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 25, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #5,911 of 6,504
How is HD800/s sounding against Grados? Are these also like life-like sounding as the grado's?

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #5,912 of 6,504
  How is HD800/s sounding against Grados? Are these also like life-like sounding as the grado's?

There are a lot of differences, HD800S has a much larger soundstage, mids are not in the same tonality, but both sound life like in a certain way. 

It also depends on what different models you're comparing. 

Both high end grados andHD800S are great for what they do and have their own strengths. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #5,913 of 6,504
I have a pair of vintage button Grado RS1s and they, along with "e" series Grados, have always been much better than any other headphone I had tried when it comes to life like timber and realism on small ensemble classical music.  That is until I got a pair of Senn HD800S.  Compared to any headphones I have heard the HD800S are in my opinion better in every way.  Keep in mind that I have not heard any Grados above the RS1s.

The beautiful timber along with the class leading soundstage makes the HD800S incredible good for classical.  And unlike the Grados the HD800S never gets congested with large scale complex classical music.  The HD800S sound great to me with any genre.  At home they are all I listen to now.

One caveat is that the HD800S needs to be driven with plenty of power.  While a mobile phone or a small portable amp will make a Grado sound excellent that is not the case for the HD800S in my experience.  But with a desktop amp like my Mapletree Ear+ HD and Schiit Asgard 2 the HD800S have all the power they need to sound excellent.

Keep in mind that I am still a Grado fan and they are still my favorite headphones to use when I do not have access to decent AC power amplification.  I now like to use them for travel when I am in a spot where I can use open backs. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #5,914 of 6,504

Well you hope not to hear power supply and other issues when transferring a digital signal from your source to your analog device.   There should be zero background noise on silent music passages.  If it's at all noisy, the problem stems from the digital device.  It's all about dynamic range and resolution when talking audio or video.  Are those two all there is to musical or video enjoyment?  Nope ...just two really significant pieces to puzzle!  
atsmile.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #5,915 of 6,504

I tried a few Grado's and I didn't think they sounded even better than Sennheiser their mid-fi headphones at less than half the price (HD 600 and HD 650).

I haven't heard their TOTL headphone but I doubt it will be interesting based on their other expensive headphones that I heard.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #5,917 of 6,504
IMHO no comparison. While the LCD-X Has better bass articulation the timbre and spaciousness of the HD800S is much better. The LCD-X is a headphone the HD800S and experience.

Now the HD800S requires really good headamp to get the best out of it and only when I got my Cavalli Liquid Gold did I part with LCD-X but once I did I never looked back.

I have an exceptional speaker system and I find my current HD800S almost as good and in many ways more enjoyable.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #5,918 of 6,504
IMHO no comparison. While the LCD-X Has better bass articulation the timbre and spaciousness of the HD800S is much better. The LCD-X is a headphone the HD800S and experience.

Now the HD800S requires really good headamp to get the best out of it and only when I got my Cavalli Liquid Gold did I part with LCD-X but once I did I never looked back.

I have an exceptional speaker system and I find my current HD800S almost as good and in many ways more enjoyable.

interesting. Im still searching for that little bit extra. I really like My X but i think it can be a little bit better.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #5,919 of 6,504
interesting. Im still searching for that little bit extra. I really like My X but i think it can be a little bit better.

I had the X for close to two years and really like them. Very easy to drive and they sounded excellent. When the HD800S came out I didn't appreciate how amazing they are until I put the T&A DAC DSD to he Cavalli. Once it all "burned in" I knew it was something different. Extremely happy.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #5,920 of 6,504
I think those who have already answered are more qualified than me because I only auditioned the LDC-Xs for about 45 min with my music at a local Hi Fi establishment.  I was ready to do a major headphone upgrade from my Grado RS1s and my Shure 940s.  I wanted to like the LDC-Xs.  One thing about them that really impressed me was the bass.  It was truly extended unlike anything I have heard.  And the bass was extended in a most effortless manner.  And the bass was not bloated but detailed.  The excellent bass foundation with some recordings like organ pieces made them have a nice open soundstage.  However the higher up they went in the frequencies the less transparent they became and the less open they sounded.  In fact I think the midrange and treble were as good or better on my Shure 940s and Grados especially newer e series Grados.  That said the LCD-X are excellent however I am a bit of a transparency and detail connoisseur and they did not fit the bill for that in the midrange on up.  Also the top of my head was hurting after the audition.  I found the LCD-X too uncomfortable due to their weight.  HD800S are very comfortable to me.

I then thought I would audition the HD800S next which I did by purchasing them on Amazon.  Fell in love with the HD800S.  Their soundstage and imaging is considerably better than the LDC-X IMHO.  So is the transparency in all frequencies except for perhaps the bass.  The LCD-X has better bass to me but the HD800S still has great bass.  And the HD800S sound so balanced and neutral.  I wanted the headphones to excel at classical.  However I have found that the HD800S also excel with my progressive rock collection.  They work great will all my music.  They are very revealing of poor recordings.  They seem to reveal everything including quality of the recording good or bad.  However I even find my poor recordings are more enjoyable with the HD800S.  I feel at ease listening to them because I feel like I am always hearing the recording for what it is and just enjoy for what it is.  I am loving the separation and layering of musical lines with the HD800S even when things get complex. It is yet another attribute of their transparency and insight into a recording.  As you may have guessed by now I kept my HD800S.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #5,921 of 6,504
I owned the LCD-X and sold them.  I've kept the Senn 800S.  The above description is spot on.  The LCD-X exhibits significantly less of a soundstage, is heavy/uncomfortable, unreliable (returned for replacement of a driver twice) and "dark" IMHO.  Their bass impact is not so outstanding to override their shortcomings.  Don't misunderstand me, the 800s needs "warming up", and a considerable amount of warmth.  I don't know the exact frequencies or technology required but they need to to be re-engineered again (800S MkII?).  However, it is clearly superior to the LCD-X.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #5,922 of 6,504
  Anyone owned the LCD-X ? How does it compare to the HD800S ?

Too different signatures to really compare. Audeze house sound is warm, thick and smooth. LCD-X, despite having the most treble of their cans (haven't heard LCD-4 though) still sounds treble-muted compared to 800S. I would describe 800S as neutral and airy.

The X excels in bass impact, rumble, and mids intimacy; it's great for slower tracks (I notice the focus of Audeze cans are always the midbass to mid-mids region). For bass speed, mids timbre, treble extension, sparkle, (frankly incomparable) soundstage and imaging, 800S takes the cake, easily. 800S is for me a better all-rounder. You can put all your tracks on random and chances are they handle every track and genre competently. X is more genre-specific. They do vocals and tracks with simple arrangements very well.

Other things to consider are comfort (800S all the way, no contest), and driving ease. The X can be driven well with a portable source and amp, whereas I would always stick to desktop for 800S.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #5,923 of 6,504
Yes indeed, the 800S is an exceptional headphone. I will almost certainly repurchase it as the signature is very engaging and unique. For my current taste (which does change over time) I'm into my bass head mode so I'm extremely happy with my Z1R; however, I have never forgotten the 800S and wish I could have kept it as it would make a nice compliment for the Sony.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #5,924 of 6,504
If I recall, a short couple of years ago the LCD-3 & LCD-X are so well regarded it seems one will be hard pressed to get anything better without spitting out a small fortune. Now these are mid-fi headphones and this goes to show just how far head-fi and portable audio have moved on since, and at such ferocious pace.

Good for the hobby, bad for our bank accounts

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #5,925 of 6,504
I'm all set with my tandem. The only thing that remotely interests me is lcd4, but feel it's just over the top of first world problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back