Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #5,896 of 6,504

I have seen someone wear a HD800 in public as well - so anything is possible with enough courage 
biggrin.gif

HD800 looks so stylish, but I would be worried to take it out unless it's perfectly dry outside and the temperature is no greater than 25 C nor lower than 5C. Albeit HD800S works from -10 to 55 if we follow their manual C

I think we baby these headphones too much, my old GF used to use her HD700 almost every day when she was walking our dog and it still looked brand new after 2 years of this daily use.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #5,897 of 6,504
  I think we baby these headphones too much, my old GF used to use her HD700 almost every day when she was walking our dog and it still looked brand new after 2 years of this daily use.

The HD700 or the dog????

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #5,898 of 6,504
Today - my life changed foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I was so displeased with the HD800-S (black revision) that I wanted to sell them. The x7 Limited Edition did it absolutely no justice (even with Sparkos full upgrade) but oh my goodness when I hooked up my Schiit Jotunheim. I seriously have no words - there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever to anything I've ever heard.

Could be the balanced cable hookup
Could be the Audioquest Power/RCA cables (had them laying around from old retail job)
Could be the HD800-S'
Could be the x7
Could be the OP-AMP upgrades
Could be the Audioquest Optical Cable Who the hell cares!

This is definitely the pinnacle of sound for me - I have no words. When I say wow I friggin mean WOWOWOWOWOOOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW!

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #5,899 of 6,504
Welcome to the club I guess? Glad you're enjoying them.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #5,901 of 6,504
Today - my life changed foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I was so displeased with the HD800-S (black revision) that I wanted to sell them. The x7 Limited Edition did it absolutely no justice (even with Sparkos full upgrade) but oh my goodness when I hooked up my Schiit Jotunheim. I seriously have no words - there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever to anything I've ever heard.

Could be the Audioquest Power/RCA cables (had them laying around from old retail job)
Could be the HD800-S'
Could be the x7

This is definitely the pinnacle of sound for me - I have no words. When I say wow I friggin mean WOWOWOWOWOOOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW!

That sounds just about right . On spot with my feelings after finding my favourite amp for hd800s actually :)

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #5,902 of 6,504

Could be the HD800-S'
Could be the x7

Excellent! It would be interesting to go through the process of eliminating some of the variables one by one to determine the contributing factors. MJ2 and gumby mb with 800S is sooooo good.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #5,903 of 6,504

Are you using the Schiit as DAC and amp, or just as a DAC with the X7 as the amp? Glad to hear it has worked out so well for you.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #5,904 of 6,504
Excellent! It would be interesting to go through the process of eliminating some of the variables one by one to determine the contributing factors. MJ2 and gumby mb with 800S is sooooo good.

DW,

What method do you use to send the digital files to your Gumby?   I use a Oppo HA-1 for my DAC/Amp with my 800S.  I am considering a Gumby to run with the class A amp in the Oppo.  Use a USB cable from my MAC mini and wondered what you use.

Thanks,
Larry 

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #5,906 of 6,504

DW,

What method do you use to send the digital files to your Gumby?   I use a Oppo HA-1 for my DAC/Amp with my 800S.  I am considering a Gumby to run with the class A amp in the Oppo.  Use a USB cable from my MAC mini and wondered what you use.

Thanks,
Larry 

Hey Larry I use my Ibasso DX 100 as a source/transport and connect it via coaxial. There seem to be so many inherent problems with connecting to a computor; plus I don't stream and don't want to be distracted by what's on the computer screen. I don't listen to music all day long, and when I do, I insist on zero distractions.
:blush:

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #5,907 of 6,504

Thanks for the reply.   My Mac mini works great with a Custom power supply, it has total black-silent background during quite passages.   The SSD drive has rapid response as well, which is one of their best features.

The Mac is used strictly for music as it's integrated into my HT system.    I have read about what type of connection works best with digital files.  There seems to  be as many opinions of what's the best method as there are methods.

Thanks again!

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #5,908 of 6,504
Thanks for the reply.   My Mac mini works great with a Custom power supply, it has total black-silent background during quite passages.   The SSD drive has rapid response as well, which is one of their best features.

The Mac is used strictly for music as it's integrated into my HT system.    I have read about what type of connection works best with digital files.  There seems to  be as many opinions of what's the best method as there are methods.

Thanks again!

What power supply ate you using with the Mini?

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #5,909 of 6,504

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377
E-mail: crespi@sti.net

Give Alex a call if you are interested.  Please tell him I sent you.

Cheers,

Larry

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #5,910 of 6,504

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377
E-mail: crespi@sti.net

Give Alex a call if you are interested.  Please tell him I sent you.

Cheers,

Larry

You people can actually hear electrical noise from your power supply over top of playing music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back