Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #4,471 of 6,504
Definitely, this sort of question depends on what kinds of music you primarily listen to. If you listen to classical music primarily, I guess HD-800 is a way to go. If you like to listen to female vocal, HD-800S would be a way to go as a sibilance problem has been greatly reduced. 

May 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #4,472 of 6,504
Well. I've tried sponge, wool, cloth - all in different positions on the headband. I've tried different settings, different positions, different cup tilts.. And I always end up with hotspots.

I envy all of you normal headed people!

May 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4,473 of 6,504
Well. I've tried sponge, wool, cloth - all in different positions on the headband. I've tried different settings, different positions, different cup tilts.. And I always end up with hotspots.

Had the same problem, tried my fisherman's ribbed (knit) hat and no more problem. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/GP-Accessories-Fisherman-Multi-Beanie/dp/B00M9OW012

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC → HD 800S (WW Platinum)

May 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #4,474 of 6,504
May 11, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #4,475 of 6,504
I kind of share your sentiment.

After switching to the HD800S, I no longer feel the excitement and engagement I once get from the HD800 (when driven right).

Yes, I can now listen to the HD800S for a longer period. But between the two, I still long for the fleeting excitement of the HD800. That is what that made the headphone special rather than just being normal.

I think I understand what you mean. Classical music doesn't have boosted treble like pop music. So the original HD 800 can bring more "excitement" to classical music than the HD 800 S by bringing in some resonance. 

May 11, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #4,478 of 6,504
gosh i see nothing to mod, well other than the cable. 

May 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #4,479 of 6,504
Had the chance to listen to the HD800 earlier with a few of my test tracks, and honestly I can't think of a reason why anybody would choose it over the HD800S. Even with classical music.

To me the original has a bit more 'bite' overall, but in comparison really lacks that organic element the 800S has. Violins, Cellos seem a lot more liquid and enjoyable with the 800S, and trumpets are as unappealing as I remember with the original 800.

The separation seems a tad more precise and clear maybe with the 800 but it's maybe a few %. For that being the only advantage to my ears, going with the 800S over the 800 seems like a no-brainer for anybody still on the fence.

May 11, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #4,481 of 6,504
HD 800 S gen 1 mod

Disclaimer: This is my very first write up of any sort so if this brings any pressing questions or I didn't explain something well enough feel free
to reply or PM me!

First thing that was done is the removal of the grille in the back of the headphon

This took of a lite veil on the sound and made the sound stage feel a little less confined in my opinion.

This is not to say that the HD 800 or 800 S has a "confined" sound stage by any means but to me it made it slightly more refined.

Reason: Why not.

Result: Like I said earlier, slightly more endless sound stage and a slight lift of veil. Lot a layer per sae but just a thin veil. 

Next was dampening in the back of the headphone.

We used a 5mm thick sorbothane chunk for the middle part of the trapezoid and open cell foam pieces

as the winglets for the sides.

Reason: I was hearing a lot of reflection and sound coming from behind my ears that I did not enjoy.

Result: the middle chunk was a bit too much in terms of dampening and we shaved it back as well as contoured it which did the trick.  

Here we snipped the square middle out of the open cell foam and fitted it beside the sorbothane,

Conclusion: I am really happy with the results and recommend it for anyone. If anyone has heard the JPS Labs Abyss, this makes the sound more speaker like (slightly) in the way that it sounds like its more in front of you instead of everywhere in front of you. I hope that explains it, again bare with me as this is my first ever write up of any sort! 

Cheers,

Josef

P.S. I also ended up changing stuff with the ring inside the 800 but I am not ready to comment on that just yet. All I will say is that the results are even more profound! 

May 11, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #4,482 of 6,504

I've had this hotspot issue with both hd800 and hd800s. It is reduced or doesn't happen when i adjust the headband tighter. When i have them on loose and comfortable, there's not enough support and my head has more contact with the middle of the headband, causing the hotspot issue.

May 12, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #4,485 of 6,504
only been listening to hd 800s a short time now ,and ill be honest i thought crap ,i read they were optimized for classical and jazz so i chucked everything at them could ent  find a sweet spot exept for a grateful dead concert .working down the musical list i tried a bit of hip hop   aims means of production , these things shine  ,impressive ,why cant they sound great with everything like the hd 598 s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back