Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4,456 of 6,504
  Could anyone share one's setup with HD800S? I currently use Mac Retina 15 + OPPO HA-2 with HD-800S. It drives HD-800S well and I have no complaints. But that may be because I have not experienced higher grade DAC/AMPs. I am thinking about a significant upgrade of DAC/AMPs from OPPO HA-2. Does anyone have some recommendations?

skies the limit in a world of diminishing returns. 

May 9, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #4,458 of 6,504
Maybe I'll get an other DAC later when the Chord Hugo 2 or Chord Hugo TT 2 is released. But that are the only changes what I am going to make.

I see no point in spending $5000 for a new amp over
the Taurus MKII. That money is better spend for improving my speakers.

May 9, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #4,459 of 6,504
For desktop,mac pro,into iDAC2,iCAN SE,into HD800,or HE1000. HiFi set up is Mac Mini,into Oppo HA1, into Over,or in ears,depends on mood. Also experimenting with Marantz 7702,into HiFi Man EF 6. Plenty to keep me busy,now i am retired.

May 9, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #4,460 of 6,504
Hi Guys

So I’ve got a pair eventually showing up from Jan so I’ve decided to trim my roster and letting my HD700s go which I preferred over my original 800s..yes I did demo the new 800Ss…so decision was easy.
Question is for those who have some Audeze on hand also… should I let my LCD.2.2s go or wait and see as I swapped quite often between them and the 700s depending on the music/mood.... I know I’ll make the final decision …but just curious.

May 9, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #4,461 of 6,504
Hi Guys

So I’ve got a pair eventually showing up from Jan so I’ve decided to trim my roster and letting my HD700s go which I preferred over my original 800s..yes I did demo the new 800Ss…so decision was easy.
Question is for those who have some Audeze on hand also… should I let my LCD.2.2s go or wait and see as I swapped quite often between them and the 700s depending on the music/mood.... I know I’ll make the final decision …but just curious.

Since owning the 800S my Audeze has been neglected. Maybe it's the synergy with the rest of my system but the 800S just refuses to let me go back to my LCD.

May 9, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #4,462 of 6,504
Since owning the 800S my Audeze has been neglected. Maybe it's the synergy with the rest of my system but the 800S just refuses to let me go back to my LCD.

Thanks for the input..but having only one pair may through off the balance.
smile.gif

May 9, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #4,463 of 6,504
Quote:
  Hi Guys

Looks like I may have found my answer....
  My review is up:

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-sennheiser-hd800s-headphones

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/sennheiser-hd800s-headphones/P1

"Audeze LCD 2.2 (Pre-fazor)
The Audeze LCD 2.2 has a darker sound signature overall, with a more narrow soundstage. The entire bass register is elevated on the LCD 2.2, and it serves up more impact and thump as a result - and can be listened to at louder volumes comfortably. However, the highs on the HD800s provide more depth and realism to the signature, and the LCD 2.2 falls short in clarity, realism, depth, and soundstage. The HD800s feels more accurate and brighter overall, and remains a good “partner” for the LCD 2.2."

May 9, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #4,464 of 6,504
I also have both the HD800s and the LCD2F and clearly only listen to the Sennheisers. Thinking about selling the Audeze and getting the new portable Woo amp instead or the Fostex TH900.

May 10, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #4,465 of 6,504
I've been listening to 800S for about two weeks now. I don't know if I absolutely like these better than my sold HD 800 >:
The new cans are no longer fatiguing, sometimes I forget I have music on. That never happened to my 800. When I was listening to 800, the music always seemed apparent. I kinda like that sort of authority. Fatiguing but really made me fully aware of what I listened to. The new cans seemed way too friendly and relaxing to me. That excitement in music is sort of gone. However, if comfort is the main thing here, I guess I can live with it.

By the way, I really like the new color. At least, they stopped pretending that they are metal.

May 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #4,466 of 6,504
  I've been listening to 800S for about two weeks now. I don't know if I absolutely like these better than my sold HD 800 >:

By the way, I really like the new color. At least, they stopped pretending that they are metal.

Comparing the HD800 and S’s directly at one of my local suppliers the differences to me were not obvious at all through "short term" listening. I do know that the HD800s were more detailed but less involving than my HD700s so I chose the 700s to chill out to and eventually returned my 800s so I’m hoping that the 800Ss on the way are exactly what I’m looking for.

I'm also one for the new color scheme although it looks to me like they just didn't paint them.
tongue.gif

May 10, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #4,467 of 6,504
The new cans are no longer fatiguing, sometimes I forget I have music on. That never happened to my 800. When I was listening to 800, the music always seemed apparent. I kinda like that sort of authority. Fatiguing but really made me fully aware of what I listened to. The new cans seemed way too friendly and relaxing to me. That excitement in music is sort of gone. However, if comfort is the main thing here, I guess I can live with it.

I kind of share your sentiment.

After switching to the HD800S, I no longer feel the excitement and engagement I once get from the HD800 (when driven right).

Yes, I can now listen to the HD800S for a longer period. But between the two, I still long for the fleeting excitement of the HD800. That is what that made the headphone special rather than just being normal.

May 10, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #4,468 of 6,504

I kind of share your sentiment.

After switching to the HD800S, I no longer feel the excitement and engagement I once get from the HD800 (when driven right).

Yes, I can now listen to the HD800S for a longer period. But between the two, I still long for the fleeting excitement of the HD800. That is what that made the headphone special rather than just being normal.

I'm not having that reaction at all. On my end, the 800S are so engaging, I totally get lost in what I'm listening to.

Might be because I never owned the 800 Classic...

May 10, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #4,469 of 6,504
Nice to see these feedback are re-igniting interest in the original 800 which were had always been great cans.

May 10, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,470 of 6,504
Seems I was not far from the truth in my HD800S review :

Conclusion.

I don't see how one wouldn't see the HD800S as a superior headphone compared to the HD800. To my ears, the younger sibling is definitely more neutral and more of a reference headphone. That having been said, will the HD800 S always be the more enjoyable for you, me and everybody else? I don't think so.

Let's consider the following examples: 

1. For someone who already hates the HD800, it is doubtful that the HD800S will drastically change their opinion. The HD800S is still a HD800 in that it is bright-ish, on the cold side and somewhat analytical… it still offers a kind of  "austere" or cerebral listening experience.
  2. For the original HD800's diehard fans, I can imagine some disappointment. They'll probably miss the special excitement provided by the HD800 treble and instrument separation. Switching to the more “normal” HD800S would probably be like asking a cocaine addict to live only with clear water. I really think that people who already enjoy their HD800 with classical music only have no urge to buy a HD800S except if they are after more tonal accuracy and better timbres. I personally prefer the 800S but YMMV.
  3. For people who already liked the HD800 but still struggled with its treble and cold tone/weak mids, I highly encourage them to give the HD800S a listen. The new sibling could be a winner for them.
  4. For HD800 owners who don't want to lose money due to a low resale price but want to benefit from HD800S qualities, EQ and/or mods are probably the way to go. But, if you asked me what my advice is between a new HD800 and a new HD800 S, I'd honestly say that you should take the 800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back