Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 12, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #3,301 of 6,504
If all preliminary information is correct, then there is interesting new feature rich, powerful and with tubes, hybrid headamp, suitable for high-end HD800(S) too
::
iFI iCAN Pro

Key features are:
  • Balanced Output options on 3-Pin & 4-Pin XLR plus 6.3mm Jack on front panel.
  • Unbalanced outputs on 6.3mm Jack (direct) and two 3.5mm Jacks with built-in fixed iEMatch attenuation on front panel to drive IEMs etc. (same attenuation as in iDSD micro).
  • Balanced XLR & RCA outputs on back can carry Headphone out signal (for use as preamp or with Electrostatic Energiser) or loop through signal from inputs (for use with external pre-amp).
  • 1 pair of XLR Inputs and three pairs of RCA Inputs.
  • 20V maximum output, > 600mW into 600 Ohm headphones, appx 16,000mW maximum into 16 Ohm and appx. 6,000 mW continuous output into 16Ohm.
  • Three levels of gain selectable from Front Panel.
  • Balanced ALPS Volume control with remote control.
  • 3D Holographic® for Headphones and XBass® (each adjustable in 3-Levels + Off).
  • Class A operation for all stages up to 240mW/600 Ohm, circuitry derived from professional tube-based studio equipment, implemented in a hybrid design mixing J-Fets, Bipolar transistors and Mosfets (as in Micro iCAN).
  • Full Dual-Mono design including internal power supplies, supplied with 15V/4A Ultra Low Noise PSU (Generation 2 design as also the updated PSU for Micro).
  • Optional Electrostatic Headphone Energiser in separate Box will be introduced, 1,700V Peak-Peak maximum output, Bias selectable for Stax HiFi/Pro, Sennheiser and others, Output Levels selectable, 3 * Stax Pro & HiFi Sockets fitted.

Hopefully, some reviews coming soon...
(will be in 'stock' somewhere at March?)

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #3,302 of 6,504
If all preliminary information is correct, then there is interesting new feature rich, powerful and with tubes, hybrid headamp, suitable for high-end HD800(S) too
iFI iCAN Pro

The only iFi product that I didn't perceive as too bright was the Stereo 50 'Retro'. It sounded better and less hard with the HE1000 than the EF6. I guess it would work well with the HD800S, since the similar construction Leben CS300 is one of the best. Maybe the iCAN Pro will sound good as well.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,303 of 6,504

The only iFi product that I didn't perceive as too bright was the Stereo 50 'Retro'. It sounded better and less hard with the HE1000 than the EF6. I guess it would work well with the HD800S, since the similar construction Leben CS300 is one of the best. Maybe the iCAN Pro will sound good as well.

I use iFi Micro iDSD (at 'home setup' only as DAC, not as DAC/amp) and don't hear it as bright (i.e. adding brightness). Let see, what reviewers are saying about iCAN Pro in 'comparisons'!

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3,304 of 6,504

I didn't think the Leben was the best match for the HD800. It was slightly to flabby in the bass end of the deal. I would imagine that it is even worse with the S.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #3,305 of 6,504
In latest interview, iFi speaks about 'history' and only few words about coming PRO series audio-devices too:
...'- At the end of February 2016, we shall see the first of the Professional series, the iCAN Pro. This is both a professional headphone amplifier AND an audiophile linestage. We have some studios awaiting the Pro iCAN so we are excited'....

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #3,307 of 6,504

Pro reviews can direct you somewhat in the right direction imo. But nowadays unfortunately most reviewers either don't report what recordings and what type of  music they have used at all .Or even worse only use electrically amplified music and no real acoustic reference material whatsoever in their reviews.
And most of they time they only use 16/44.1  recorded material.
I fail to see the point of reviewing a  studio quality headphone like the new HD800S without including  any acoustic hi res material.
My one and only HI FI reference is acoustic music. And judging from a few of hours of listening to the new HD800S via both Hugo and Mojo,and comparing it to my old HD800 on some reference material where I know how things sounded  both  live in the hall and during playback in the studio at sessions and as finished  mastered release, I am tempted to  add  the HD800S to my HD800. 
Or even replace it with the new HD800S.
They have managed to tame the infamous spike of the original and retain the openness of the original, plus add a bit more body  to the bass it seems.
But then there is also the HEK to be audtioned togehter with the HD800S.

I am looking for a headphones that complements my LCD3F. Seriously thinking about the HD800S.
Ether and HEK are options as well.
I hate thin boring sound!

I love the quality of the Sennheiser, and this is what driving me toward this company. The HEK feels cheap with all the lousy parts (grills, screws...etc.) that generates sound.

I see your point about the pro reviews. Honestly, I don't trust them anymore, as they make every single headphones "wonderful and magical" 
mad.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #3,308 of 6,504
  I am looking for a headphones that complements my LCD3F. Seriously thinking about the HD800S.
Ether and HEK are options as well.
I hate thin boring sound!

I love the quality of the Sennheiser, and this is what driving me toward this company. The HEK feels cheap with all the lousy parts (grills, screws...etc.) that generates sound.

I see your point about the pro reviews. Honestly, I don't trust them anymore, as they make every single headphones "wonderful and magical" 
mad.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif

Regarding pro reviews, not ALL of them make every headphone "wonderful and magical."  Here's an example from a review for MrSpeakers Ether model.  When I read the review, it sounded to me like the guy really didn't think they were all that great. Yet he would put little things in it that hedged his bets and at the end he concluded that that in essence these were wonderful and magical headphones.  His conclusion doesn't make sense based on what he wrote.  

One comment said, The conclusion is very positive, but the details in the body of the review had me saying "Yikes!"  The reviewer responded with, Objectively, great headphone. Subjectively, not fond of it. Then a third person responded, asking, What does that mean?  That was asked 7 months ago so the reviewer had plenty of time to answer, but that's it, no response. 

Of course we all know what it means, he didn't want to lose any advertising or potential advertising or be left off the list for further products to review. Yup, I agree with you, can't trust pro reviews...

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #3,309 of 6,504
Reviewer 'bread' is dependent on 'review subjects' and from readers too... you can't 'offend' both... OK, maybe 'companies don't change', but readers change and it's possible, if they 'don't understand your sincere and truthful review' now (hello, they LOVE their fashionable hp-s, but you...), they maybe understand 'tomorrow'...but only then, when they come back to your reviews
Or so.
One idealistic and critical view, related to 'subject'

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #3,310 of 6,504
iFI iCAN Pro

Key features are:
  • Balanced Output options on 3-Pin & 4-Pin XLR plus 6.3mm Jack on front panel.
  • Unbalanced outputs on 6.3mm Jack (direct) and two 3.5mm Jacks with built-in fixed iEMatch attenuation on front panel to drive IEMs etc. (same attenuation as in iDSD micro).
  • Balanced XLR & RCA outputs on back can carry Headphone out signal (for use as preamp or with Electrostatic Energiser) or loop through signal from inputs (for use with external pre-amp).
  • 1 pair of XLR Inputs and three pairs of RCA Inputs.
  • 20V maximum output, > 600mW into 600 Ohm headphones, appx 16,000mW maximum into 16 Ohm and appx. 6,000 mW continuous output into 16Ohm.
  • Three levels of gain selectable from Front Panel.
  • Balanced ALPS Volume control with remote control.
  • 3D Holographic® for Headphones and XBass® (each adjustable in 3-Levels + Off).
  • Class A operation for all stages up to 240mW/600 Ohm, circuitry derived from professional tube-based studio equipment, implemented in a hybrid design mixing J-Fets, Bipolar transistors and Mosfets (as in Micro iCAN).
  • Full Dual-Mono design including internal power supplies, supplied with 15V/4A Ultra Low Noise PSU (Generation 2 design as also the updated PSU for Micro).
  • Optional Electrostatic Headphone Energiser in separate Box will be introduced, 1,700V Peak-Peak maximum output, Bias selectable for Stax HiFi/Pro, Sennheiser and others, Output Levels selectable, 3 * Stax Pro & HiFi Sockets fitted.

Always room for a semi-portable full balanced amp.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #3,312 of 6,504
Feb 14, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #3,313 of 6,504
Feb 14, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #3,314 of 6,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back