Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 10, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,566 of 6,504

I didn't understand the last point here.  But I tried other Classical as well beethoven by karajan and it is really awesome.  

What I meant all the records of the company's home LSO - sounds really no transparency or depth there are also exceptions - Sibelius Colin Davis with good sound recording

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,567 of 6,504

You might want to get the FF mod, I like it a lot. It is only 100€ and will not take long, for me it was roughly a week.

I would have been a good idea but i decided to buy another amp i'm interested in while I'm waiting my DNA Stratus so the Jazz will probably go :wink: . In fact, I bought two amps:  a Vali 2 and a DIY clone of Krell KSA5 . 

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #2,568 of 6,504
I would have been a good idea but i decided to buy another amp i'm interested in while I'm waiting my DNA Stratus so the Jazz will probably go :wink: . In fact, I bought two amps:  a Vali 2 and a DIY clone of Krell KSA5 . 
How's that vali2/ 800 combo?

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,569 of 6,504
The Little Vali is still on the way to my home. :wink: 

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,570 of 6,504
   LSO's recordings recorded on a company's engineer previously worked DECCA
Beethoven, Mahler, Sibelius
.is not my sound because there is no transparency or depth.
in  time they receive their sound HD800S -.
know that I bought a new set   291xx   compared to older 159xx   

Try here for 'transparency or depth'.. It seems spot-on (at least with iFiMicro iDSD-> Lake People head-amp-> HD800)

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2,571 of 6,504
I've not been able to try the HD800, but I did audition the HD700. The thing I wonder about is the 'removal from the music' that I felt with the HD700. Is this true of the HD800 as well? If it is, does the HD800S rectify this sort of 'clinical' sound?

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #2,572 of 6,504
I've not been able to try the HD800, but I did audition the HD700. The thing I wonder about is the 'removal from the music' that I felt with the HD700. Is this true of the HD800 as well? If it is, does the HD800S rectify this sort of 'clinical' sound?

Can You somehow elaborate/describe your (impressions?) about 'removal from the music' and 'clinical' sound?

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #2,573 of 6,504

I do not understand what you mean either, but HD800 and HD700 are earth and sky differece. Do not even try to compare. They have different sounds, signatures, HD700 is neither hd650 nor hd800, it is a thing of it's own, which will not be liked by people who like hd800 nor by people who like hd650. It is like HD700 is for people who dislike both hd650 and hd800, like for that rest of people. 

Hd700 is very comfortable, but that is the only similarity to hd800. I was in shock when I heared them, like I was with NAD viso, and with oppo headphones, They are really not my cup of tea. I can understand people liking them, and they working better with other genera of music, but for me, they simply did not work. 

On another order of thoughts, HD800 is not clinical in comparation, but the original hd800 is bright. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,574 of 6,504

I do not understand what you mean either, but HD800 and HD700 are earth and sky differece. Do not even try to compare. They have different sounds, signatures, HD700 is neither hd650 nor hd800, it is a thing of it's own, which will not be liked by people who like hd800 nor by people who like hd650. It is like HD700 is for people who dislike both hd650 and hd800, like for that rest of people. 

Hd700 is very comfortable, but that is the only similarity to hd800. I was in shock when I heared them, like I was with NAD viso, and with oppo headphones, They are really not my cup of tea. I can understand people liking them, and they working better with other genera of music, but for me, they simply did not work. 

On another order of thoughts, HD800 is not clinical in comparation, but the original hd800 is bright. 

Well I own and enjoy both the HD700 and HD800 so your generalisation is not strictly true. Maybe of course I am a minority of one! They are indeed different sounding as you mention but I use one for my desk top system and the other for my main system and they seem to work well within those confines. Neither one is perfect but they both offer the best (for my taste) and which I can afford in their respective price categories. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #2,575 of 6,504
  I do not understand what you mean either, but HD800 and HD700 are earth and sky differece. [...]

On another order of thoughts, HD800 is not clinical in comparation, but the original hd800 is bright

Let myself provocate with 'bright' and quickly tried my 'old' and anymore not often used AKG K701 (which I always considered as 'brightly slamming')...
ouch 'two different worlds', BUT like never before(?!): HD800 like 'race horse' - much warmer and bassier (yes!) and K701 like 'tamed, old workhorse' - without real 'bottom', and 'top', but with nice 'middle'...
Is it now my new 'ten days old' DAC so 'revealing' (Micro iDSD)?!
Need to start over with my opinion about hp's?

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,578 of 6,504
  Well I own and enjoy both the HD700 and HD800 so your generalisation is not strictly true. Maybe of course I am a minority of one! They are indeed different sounding as you mention but I use one for my desk top system and the other for my main system and they seem to work well within those confines. Neither one is perfect but they both offer the best (for my taste) and which I can afford in their respective price categories. 

Of course, just HD700 was very different, I can understand why one would like it, and I can see HD700 working with particular genera of music. But not with any genera. I could happily use HD800 with any genera on the same basis (and same ears 
biggrin.gif
).

Let myself provocate with 'bright' and quickly tried my 'old' and anymore not often used AKG K701 (which I always considered as 'brightly slamming')...
ouch 'two different worlds', BUT like never before(?!): HD800 like 'race horse' - much warmer and bassier (yes!) and K701 like 'tamed, old workhorse' - without real 'bottom', and 'top', but with nice 'middle'...
Is it now my new 'ten days old' DAC so 'revealing' (Micro iDSD)?!
Need to start over with my opinion about hp's?

Wait.. What?

Ok, Eng is not my main languace, but I seem to understand a fair amount of it, yet your post is hard to read 
biggrin.gif

Well, normal HD800 was bright, I mean that peak was audible with ease, with any type of music, and would kill some types of music, while make some types of music shine even more. I consider that there is no good and bad. Just that compared to HD700, HD800 is much more musical, expansive soundstage, detailed sound, yet still had that peak. HD700, was somewhat dry sounding, especially it's treble and mids were not very fun. (I really love tight, controlled, unbloated bass. Yet I need lots of bass, like +14db of bass sometimes, it just needs to be very well controlled and tight, like be able to stop when it needs to stop, not overbloat). 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,579 of 6,504
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,580 of 6,504
[...]  
Well, normal HD800 was bright, I mean that peak was audible with ease, with any type of music, and would kill some types of music, while make some types of music shine even more. I consider that there is no good and bad. Just that compared to HD700, HD800 is much more musical, expansive soundstage, detailed sound, yet still had that peak. HD700, was somewhat dry sounding, especially it's treble and mids were not very fun. (I really love tight, controlled, unbloated bass. Yet I need lots of bass, like +14db of bass sometimes, it just needs to be very well controlled and tight, like be able to stop when it needs to stop, not overbloat). 

SRY! My emotional 'jump' to K701 was just for one word [edit:]'bright', because from all my hp's it seemed to be 'really bright'... not HD800
HD800, for someone, has maybe one unpleasant 'hot' area in upper part, but I still would not call it overly 'bright' (at least not with my ears).
And with my new iDSD DAC my opinion about my hp's just are starting to change (for example Denon AH-D5000 is nearly untolerable now, with big 'V' shape SF)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back