Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,536 of 6,504
isnt hd800S open back HP. Check the th900 threads for an excellent closed back HP. well th900 closed in name only, leeks like a sive

I live with my wife, and at the moment I am unable to use an open back headphone. I am following the thread though, because I might end up buying HD800S and create a room where I enjoy music separately. Depends on if I fiind enough good closed back headphones. TH900 seems great, but I cannot really use them if they leak, and they are nowhere to be seen in Romania for tests.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,537 of 6,504
I wrote quite a bit about that further back up the thread or in a review that you can find in the head gear section. Did you have a look already and have a more specific question?

Ahh I forgot, I'm getting old
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,538 of 6,504
  So between the Ether C and 800S, which one do you prefer and why? 

HD800S. Ether C has slightly better bass, but in every other way the HD800S wins for me. Better mids, better treble, better detail, better comfort, bigger soundstage. YMMV.

Ether C is still a very good headphone, and quite amazing for a closed design. There are times when I don't want sound leakage (in or out) and the Ether C is very nice to have around.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,539 of 6,504

isnt hd800S open back HP. Check the th900 threads for an excellent closed back HP. well th900 closed in name only, leeks like a sive

I live with my wife, and at the moment I am unable to use an open back headphone. I am following the thread though, because I might end up buying HD800S and create a room where I enjoy music separately. Depends on if I fiind enough good closed back headphones. TH900 seems great, but I cannot really use them if they leak, and they are nowhere to be seen in Romania for tests.

I have closed-back DENON AH-D5000 (made by FOSTEX too) officially have 10db isolation, but is leaking... clamp force is weak... Some closed-back hp's have 'enforced' isolation, up to 20-24db. Many IEM's (and plugs) are good too.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,541 of 6,504
HD800S. Ether C has slightly better bass, but in every other way the HD800S wins for me. Better mids, better treble, better detail, better comfort, bigger soundstage. YMMV.

Ether C is still a very good headphone, and quite amazing for a closed design. There are times when I don't want sound leakage (in or out) and the Ether C is very nice to have around.

Guess the S will be my next pair of phones... Time to get rid of the original hd800!

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,542 of 6,504

I have closed-back DENON AH-D5000 (made by FOSTEX too) officially have 10db isolation, but is leaking... clamp force is weak... Some closed-back hp's have 'enforced' isolation, up to 20-24db. Many IEM's (and plugs) are good too.

Exactly this is why I keep post-poning trying fostex made headphones. I need something with a bit more isolation, or open back. I mean, if it is going to not isolate well, might as well get HD800 or HD800S, but exactly in this moment, I think I might be eyeing either EL8C from Audeze or Ultrasone sig dj, this is why I want to compare them with HD800S. Well, I can audition HD800S and EL8C monday or this week, but sig dj I cannot audition any more, so this is a bummer.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,543 of 6,504

Exactly this is why I keep post-poning trying fostex made headphones. I need something with a bit more isolation, or open back. I mean, if it is going to not isolate well, might as well get HD800 or HD800S, but exactly in this moment, I think I might be eyeing either EL8C from Audeze or Ultrasone sig dj, this is why I want to compare them with HD800S. Well, I can audition HD800S and EL8C monday or this week, but sig dj I cannot audition any more, so this is a bummer.

No, i don't think, that this link is very reliable or complete, but there are some interesting suggestions too. Most interesting, if we speak about real noise isolation (not sure about real SQ) is THP-29, made under several names like TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik THP-29 and Extreme Isolation EX-29 and under some other names (containing number 29). These hp's have an isolation of 29dB. With these hp's isolation is measured as AVERAGE attenuation/isolation over a WIDE frequency range (most headphones measure attenuation/isolation at just ONE frequency).

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,544 of 6,504

If you want fantastic bass, try a modded HE6 hooked up to the speaker taps of a power amp. That is mind blowing (and potentially driver blowing) bass. I have not heard anything else that comes close - maybe the Abyss with a beefy amp might get there - I have no idea.

+1 the HE-6 is just epic when driven well you could most probably pick up both a HE-6 and HD800 pre owned for the same price as the new HD800S food for thought. The two cans really are on par and complement each other superbly .

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,547 of 6,504
I live with my wife, and at the moment I am unable to use an open back headphone.

Get your wife some NC headphones to wear when you are using your open-backs.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,548 of 6,504
My wife uses light signals, from the hall, on off on off, to let me know, put down the hp and I need you. Or she comes into my office/ cave and scares the be Jesus out of me I tell her I hope you were not standing there long.:p

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,549 of 6,504
My wife uses light signals, from the hall, on off on off, to let me know, put down the hp and I need you. Or she comes into my office/ cave and scares the be Jesus out of me I tell her I hope you were not standing there long.
tongue.gif

Mine enjoys scaring the be Jesus out of me to much to ever bother with light signals.....

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,550 of 6,504
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back