Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 8, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,491 of 6,504
  I'd be interested to see comparisons between owners of the pre 20,000 serial numbered HD800 and the HD800s. Having owned the HD800 for about 2 months (serial 29k), the first time I heard a pre 20k serial numbered HD800 at my headphone dealers shop, I was quite shocked - exact same set-up but the older version sounded blatantly warmer to my ears. Even my friend who'd only heard mine the day before said how different it sounded. Burn-in could be blamed, but from what I know many people share the same opinion about the older version sounding warmer (more like the HD800S?).

I have 'early version', number is starting with zero: 05xxx, still happy owner. Can't compare 'warmness' to HD800S, haven't heard them yet.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,492 of 6,504
just a little note about the judgment on the hissing of the old 800: the first 20 minutes would be better not to listen… after the situation improves, but after about two hours the effect of sibilance is greatly reduced, if not eliminated in less severe cases.
I understand that not always we can or we want to wait two hours but for a judgment at best should be done.
This is my experience with SS amplifiers, now with Violectric V281

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #2,493 of 6,504

Now THAT's commitment
smile.gif

I really like the bass response of the HD800S so far. It is certainly much improved from the HD800, without becoming dominant. Where the track calls for it, this headphone can pound in a way that the HD800 never could.

I don't think I would want more bass in the HD800S. That might become exaggerated and dominating, wrecking the balance of what is, perhaps, the best balanced headphone out there.

Your impressions are coming from a direct comparison between HD800S and HD800 ? 

@potkettleblack : my HD800 is #17003. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,494 of 6,504
Now THAT's commitment :smile:

I really like the bass response of the HD800S so far. It is certainly much improved from the HD800, without becoming dominant. Where the track calls for it, this headphone can pound in a way that the HD800 never could.

I don't think I would want more bass in the HD800S. That might become exaggerated and dominating, wrecking the balance of what is, perhaps, the best balanced headphone out there.

This is encouraging, what songs/music are finding this to be the case.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,495 of 6,504

Your impressions are coming from a direct comparison between HD800S and HD800 ? 

@potkettleblack : my HD800 is #17003. 

We checked equations with four pairs HD800 headphones
and everyone had a different tone
I understand that you have HD800S + HD800
Do you feel the difference? I'm sure it is.so
All four were tuned with different sound stamp.
Sound sources were SONY XA-50ES MARANTZ CDA-94 / SA11 S1
And headphone amplifier LUXMAN P-1P / Lyhhman bcl
Audio Cable Cord with Corus 2
music
1958 stervensy bernstin  new york pikharmonic recording 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,497 of 6,504
This is encouraging, what songs/music are finding this to be the case.

Anything with a strong bass presence. The HD800 would do bass, but not with the punch and energy of the HD800S. It isn't noticeable on every track (not to me anyway) - only where there is some hefty bass.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,498 of 6,504
  We checked equations with four pairs HD800 headphones
and everyone had a different tone
All four were tuned with different sound stamp.
Sound sources were SONY XA-50ES MARANTZ CDA-94 / SA11 S1
And headphone amplifier LUXMAN P-1P / Lyhhman bcl
Audio Cable Cord with Corus 2
music
1958 stervensy bernstin  new york pikharmonic recording 

I looked at the frequency curve on HD800s's manual. It's same as my HD800's. No: 32*** I believe they keep improving HD800, for high No. HD800 basically using same model as HD800s.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,499 of 6,504

yes I have both on my desk currently and Yes I hear differences but still not much in the lowest range until now even with some Infected Mushroom for example. But honestly I didn"t focused on that during my critical listening sessions. will chek further If I can hear bass differences in direct A/B. As I said previously I hear the HD800s hitting harder than the HD800 but I'm still not convinced the difference sits in bass.  Even bass rendering ( attack, slam) is affected by all harmonics hence the consequences of mids/high mids changes on the whole sound.  

To be honest, the first time I heard the 800S i was like " **** it"s more bass light than my HD800" but I was coming from my HD800 WITH the mod but I still think the HD800S is somewhat less mid bassy than HD800. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,500 of 6,504

yes I have both on my desk currently and Yes I hear differences but still not much in the lowest range until now even with some Infected Mushroom for example. But honestly I didn"t focused on that during my critical listening sessions. will chek further If I can hear bass differences in direct A/B. As I said previously I hear the HD800s hitting harder than the HD800 but I'm still not convinced the difference sits in bass.  Even bass rendering ( attack, slam) is affected by all harmonics hence the consequences of mids/high mids changes on the whole sound.  

To be honest, the first time I heard the 800S i was like " **** it"s more bass light than my HD800" but I was coming from my HD800 WITH the mod but I still think the HD800S is somewhat less mid bassy than HD800. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Interesting observations.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,501 of 6,504
I forgot to repeat myself : I use currently a Meier Corda Jazz that is far from warm or bass heavy so maybe it does not help me to get where is the "moar bass" effect. Maybe i'm deaf as well.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,502 of 6,504
Now THAT's commitment :smile:

Observed the same a lot pages ago. Harder impact, more tactile and better control down low.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,503 of 6,504
Hello everyone!
I have been upgrading my audio equipment from low/mid-fi to hi-fi. My first high-end purchase is the closed-back beyerdynamic T5p. I bought it a week ago. Coming from the Fidelio X2 (mid-fi), the whole music sounds more real on the T5ps, and a lot more natural. T5p has better dynamics,punch, and detail and the bass is very controled. Now I need to buy a high end open heasphones and the HD800S/HD800 seems compelling.
Can anyone compare any of the two to the t5p?

Here is what i dont like about the T5p though. The signature of the sound is slightly on the brighter side, the mids are a bit too forward, and the treble could be so slightly harsh at times.

Will the HD800S or the HD800 give a superior listening experience? How?

[i am aware of the inherent differences between closed and open headphones, so no need to remind me of that, and the t5p sounds more open than the X2, which encouraged me to ask for a comparison between the t5p (closed)and the hd800 (open)]

thank you for your help!

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #2,505 of 6,504
How does the bass compare to the Ether C

A little better on the Ether C, I think. Not a lot in it to my ears. Both go deep and can punch, but the Ether C is just a little bit better textured and defined. It sounds more 'accurate' in the Ether C vs HD800S. It is so close that this effect could easily be from imprecise volume matching on my part. Please keep in mind this is the deepest and most powerful bass I could find - kettle drums being hammered - that sort of thing. On most tracks I struggle to pick much difference in the bass - both are very, very good.

For a dynamic headphone to go (almost) toe to toe with a high end planar on bass reproduction is quite a feat, I think.

If you want fantastic bass, try a modded HE6 hooked up to the speaker taps of a power amp. That is mind blowing (and potentially driver blowing) bass. I have not heard anything else that comes close - maybe the Abyss with a beefy amp might get there - I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back