Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 5, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #2,311 of 6,504
The S is definitely still on the bright side. It is warmer than the HD800. It certainly isn't a HD650. @MacedonianHero
, how are you finding the S with different amps? My limited experience says it is less amp sensitive than the HD800. I realize you don't have an HD800 on hand to compare, but have you tried a few different amps?

After waiting for 4 years I took the chance to shoot me a used HD800 yesterday. It's 2years old has some signs of wear on the frame.... I compared it to my HD650 yesterday. They don't have much in common, maybe the mids. And I cannot imagine that the 800S is more like the HD650 if the changes are only subtle. Now I will camp another half decade for a used HD800S.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #2,312 of 6,504
  Thanks for the recs! I'll definitely lookout for those RR recordings. I forgot that I had the Ivan Fischer and thanks to you I listened to it again this morning. I think I agree with what you say about it. I picked the Kubelik, because I have heard it a hundred times and I felt like making it 101 :).   I also agree with what you said about the HEK. But I found that the seeming loss of detail wasn't worth it, in addition, I sometimes listen for several hours at a time and would need to visit an osteopath regularly to survive the weight of the thing. 

Is the HEK that heavy? I'm using HE-500 right now—hardly a lightweight set of cans. Are they heavier than the HE-500?

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #2,313 of 6,504
After waiting for 4 years I took the chance to shoot me a used HD800 yesterday. It's 2years old has some signs of wear on the frame.... I compared it to my HD650 yesterday. They don't have much in common, maybe the mids. And I cannot imagine that the 800S is more like the HD650 if the changes are only subtle. Now I will camp another half decade for a used HD800S.

The changes aren't subtle, in the sense of the way differences between amps can be. You don't need to go back and forth a bunch of times to hear the difference. If you do a side by side, you will hear a difference right away. Yet they have more in common with each other then they have with pretty much any other headphone. If you like your new HD800, then I would just relax and enjoy the next half decade as you suggest.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #2,314 of 6,504

If you like your hd800, stick with it. Hd800S is not going to be an improvement to you. If you can't handle the treble, try modding it. If that doesn't work either, sell it and check back in another half decade :wink:

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #2,315 of 6,504

Is the HEK that heavy? I'm using HE-500 right now—hardly a lightweight set of cans. Are they heavier than the HE-500?

I believe the HEK is very slightly less heavy. But I seem to be way more weight sensitive than most people. I get bad neck pain from most planar dynamics. But I still wonder how ok it is to put that much stress on your neck if you listen for 20-50 hours/week of head-fi in a week, no matter whether there is pain or not.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #2,316 of 6,504
Quote:

James444

I went to two audiologists looking for solutions to hearing conversation better at lower SPL's or in noisy environments. Their only answer was for a hearing aid that radically boosted high frequencies (based on low SPL tone testing criteria - including tinnitus). When I said I could hear conversation very clearly at reasonable volume and the orchestra sounded just the same today as it did 50 years ago (although I prefer row 4 or 5 now) - seemingly no loss of response to cymbals, triangles, or violins. (In fact I am quite senstive to high frquency distortions)

When the audiologists were asked how a boost to high frequencies would affect my hearing the response was roughly, "You will adjust to the initial tinny sound, and your brain will accept it as the norm eventually!" So when asked, "Once my brain adjusts, does that mean when listening to an orchestra without hearing aids, it would sound dull?" and the response, was "Never thought of that before, but it could do." The audiologist had no way of testing my hearing at normal listening levels, whether it be for conversation or music, and had quite frankly never considered it!

Needless to say, I never went back to either. Listening to music is too important to me. So my belief is that for people like me, a hearing aid that boosts volume with no EQ might be a solution for conversation, but never for music, and I am not paying $10K for that privelege.

Frank, we're way off topic by now, but have you ever considered trying noise-cancelling IEMs with talk-through function specifically for those occasions?

For instance, the Sennheiser CXC700 have that feature and according to the manual it might help to enhance intellegibility.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #2,317 of 6,504
  I believe the HEK is very slightly less heavy. But I seem to be way more weight sensitive than most people. I get bad neck pain from most planar dynamics. But I still wonder how ok it is to put that much stress on your neck if you listen for 20-50 hours/week of head-fi in a week, no matter whether there is pain or not.

HeK and He500 and all audeze are heavy. Way too heavy for long term wear. I wanted to like EL8C and buy it, but the weight is way too much. My 300 grams ultrasone dj one pro is already havier than I want my headphone to be. 

I am amazed that hd800 was never a bother as far as weight goes, but again, hd800 and hd650 were the most comfortable headphones I ever put on my head, with every single other headphone being light-years away from this. Maybe some audio tehnica open back with non-leather pads came close when I tried them, but that would be it. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #2,318 of 6,504

HeK and He500 and all audeze are heavy. Way too heavy for long term wear. I wanted to like EL8C and buy it, but the weight is way too much. My 300 grams ultrasone dj one pro is already havier than I want my headphone to be. 

I am amazed that hd800 was never a bother as far as weight goes, but again, hd800 and hd650 were the most comfortable headphones I ever put on my head, with every single other headphone being light-years away from this. Maybe some audio tehnica open back with non-leather pads came close when I tried them, but that would be it. 

There's a big difference between a Hek and a audeze though (I have both) He-k is slightly heavy but much more light and bearable than LCD-3 with it's hot spot. Audio Technica Ad900 are very light though :p

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,319 of 6,504
This thread is sooo interesting !!!

Guys, here is a tough one for you:
I absolutely love the Etymotic ER-4P IEM !!! Unfortunately I cannot use IEMs anymore. So I am looking for a full sized (dynamic) headphone as close as possible to the ER-4P's accuracy, speed, detail and unsurpassed texture ! From what I read the HD-800 might be it. Am I right ?? And if so, do you think I should go with the classic or the newer HD-800S ??

Thanks in advance for your responses !

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,320 of 6,504
If you like your hd800, stick with it. Hd800S is not going to be an improvement to you. If you can't handle the treble, try modding it. If that doesn't work either, sell it and check back in another half decade :wink:

Don't worry, what I hear so far from the HD800 is good enough for a decade probably.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,321 of 6,504

There's a big difference between a Hek and a audeze though (I have both) He-k is slightly heavy but much more light and bearable than LCD-3 with it's hot spot. Audio Technica Ad900 are very light though :p

When you consider EL8C, it is kind of similar to HEK, but LCD3 is heaver than both. And you can feel that. At least Audeze knows this and tried (or so it seems) to make EL series lighter, but it is not much lighter, I really wish they could improve this even further. Maybe use lighter components all around (some plastics are harder than steel, but lighter). 

AD900 was amazingly comfortable, comparable with HD800 when you take into account how other headphones feel. I could not live with the signature though, it was not HD800 SQ. 

I absolutely love the Etymotic ER-4P IEM !!! Unfortunately I cannot use IEMs anymore. So I am looking for a full sized (dynamic) headphone as close as possible to the ER-4P's accuracy, speed, detail and unsurpassed texture ! From what I read the HD-800 might be it. Am I right ?? And if so, do you think I should go with the classic or the newer HD-800S ??

I am yet to hear ER-4, but I am pretty sure that HD800 will please you, either HD800 or S, I do not know which would be closer to your ideal prefference. 

I am also using senn ie800 in ears, and am very happy with them, and these are shallow inserion in ears, while ety are deep insertion IEMs. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,322 of 6,504

The ER4S is definitely similar to the HD800 in that it has a neutral, slightly sterile sound. I think you're on the right track. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,323 of 6,504
I cleaned up my impressions a little bit. Fleshed it out in couple of places and added a couple of other examples (like some Jazz) and dumped it into a review. Now it is all on one place for ease of reading.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-s/reviews/14950

Comments, questions and suggestions are of course welcome. I am always happy to be able to give a bit back to a community, which has helped me so much over the last years.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,324 of 6,504
Thank you, shabta, highly appreciated!
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,325 of 6,504

The ER4S is definitely similar to the HD800 in that it has a neutral, slightly sterile sound. I think you're on the right track. 

From the admittedly limited time I had with both the HD800 and HD800S, I'd say the ER4S are more similar to the classic model.

However, @antk is coming from the ER4P, which are said to be slightly  bassier and less analytical than the ER4S (note that I personally haven't heard them). If that's indeed the case, the newer HD800S would probably be a better match for the ER4P than the classic HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back