Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,101 of 6,504

So I am paying more for two pieces of felt and Sennheiser nomenclature?

Basically. Unfortuantely, Sennheiser is raising the price because they can; in that regard they are no different than any other headphone maker at this time.

Of course, you will get pushback for this "combative" opinion due to post-purchase rationalization, the halo effect, and so on.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,102 of 6,504

Basically. Unfortuantely, Sennheiser is raising the price because they can; in that regard they are no different than any other headphone maker at this time.

Of course, you will get pushback for this "combative" opinion due to post-purchase rationalization, the halo effect, and so on.

I just paid $1390 all in for the HD800S including shipping, which is less than what a buddy of mine paid for a new HD800 last year. Considering you get a balanced cable as well, doesn't seem that outrageous to me. Not being combative, just seems a little unwarranted to slam Sennheiser for price gouging. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #2,103 of 6,504

I just paid $1390 all in for the HD800S including shipping, which is less than what a buddy of mine paid for a new HD800 last year. Considering you get a balanced cable as well, doesn't seem that outrageous to me. Not being combative, just seems a little unwarranted to slam Sennheiser for price gouging. 

I'd say the lack of manufacturers getting slammed for price gouging is unwarranted, generally speaking.

The HD800/S is not overpriced since people are willing to pay for it. It's more the general climate at the top end of there headphone market where companies are pricing products basically just to see what people will put up with.

I think it's reasonable to look askance at the HD800S when it could have easily been released as an updated HD800 at the same price. While I don't doubt that a significant amount of R&D went into the HD800 - and probably continues to this day - people are being kind of niave if they think the development of this little foam plug was all that and a bag of chips. It's just good luck on Sennheiser's part that the modding community didn't discover the fix first.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #2,104 of 6,504
To be honest it's unreasonable to expect Sennhesier to improve HD 800 without some sort of financial motive. Could be that some people put off my the 6k peak will be won over, but likely that is quite a niche within a niche market. Unless the exact opposite is true and most people prefer the HD 800 S lol. But in either case HD 800 S is competing with HD 800 sales. I think it is typical for prices to increase when a company is competing with itself.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2,105 of 6,504
This is an excellent point, and how I plan to rationalize the HD-800S purchase when I am able.

In fact, I recently ordered the HD-600 and HD-650. The 650 came earlier than the 600, and I was already considering the 800S, so I decided to cancel my HD-600 order. I basically told myself that I need to stop trying to "collect" headphones and simply jump to end game. Fortunately, I haven't spent much money on headphones, DACs, or HP amps at this point, so I "caught myself" before I had spent way too much money on low to mid fi gear.

I also feel fortunate that I really like my current setup, so I don't feel as if I am "suffering" while waiting for the right time to REALLY upgrade. Even if the planned upgrades may be a long way down the line. 
I couldn't agree with your thinking any more.

Nice move to not buy the 600 and 650 at the same time and save up for the hd800(s).

And then if/when the hd800 comes along and if/when it ticks most of the boxes then build your system around the hd800 when the timing's right.

As others said (that I've previously read) try not to go too cheap on the dac/amp as it may cost you more in the long run but find a balance that works ($/enjoyment).

I've always found the headphones enjoyable on cheaper set ups ........until I go up to that next level and then the next.

I've now reached a point that the next level is a bridge way too far so I'm enjoying my wa2 now.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,106 of 6,504
Has anybody figured out what the washer is that they put into the HD800S?  Seems like it's easy enough to get a similar size one and shove it in the HD800 to test. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,107 of 6,504
My HD800s has arrived! 

Going back and forth between the old one and the new. Not using my normal amp since it only has one output. Using the Lehman BCL since I can have them both plugged in at the same time.

Impressions to come...

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #2,108 of 6,504
  My HD800s has arrived! 

Going back and forth between the old one and the new. Not using my normal amp since it only has one output. Using the Lehman BCL since I can have them both plugged in at the same time.

Impressions to come...

Hurry!

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #2,109 of 6,504
I had a friend over round last night who isn't interested in audio gear at all, he does love his music mind you. He thinks I'm weird because of my obsession with headphones . Anyway , he had a listen to the HD800S / HD800 and HD650. He couldn't of been less interested but I asked for his thoughts on how they sounded to him.
The long and short of it is he thought they all sounded very good and nothing really in it in terms of enjoying the music . He thought the Hd800/800S sounded more or less the same and the difference wasn't obvious in his quick listen (now thinks I'm even more crazy than before). The really interesting comment he made was that the HD650 just sounded like headphones , albeit very good ones and he thought the Hd800s (both versions) sounded less like headphones and more like the music was just there . He was actually impressed by this illusion the HD800 created.
I tried going further into it with him but he was just humouring me so I left it at that.
Him and my wife had a good laugh at my expense though, she thinks they all sound the same !!! Although she prefers the HD** because they fit her tiny head better .

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #2,110 of 6,504
Picked up the HD800S personally from Jan, Meier-Audio yesterday. What a nice toy!

Black for 2016!

(serial no. #526) :)

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #2,111 of 6,504
I'll be receiving my HD800S today quite supringly.

Guess I'll put my original HD800 for sale today. If I don't get a good price, I'll keep them for my girlfriend however.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #2,112 of 6,504
I'll be receiving my HD800S today quite supringly.

Guess I'll put my original HD800 for sale today. If I don't get a good price, I'll keep them for my girlfriend however.

Comparison with HD650!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #2,113 of 6,504
Yesterday I spoke with a couple of UK retailers to see if I could buy HD 800 S. No.

It won't be on general sale in the UK until the end of January at the earliest and it could be as late as March.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #2,114 of 6,504
Ok Having spent most of the morning (o gosh it is already afternoon!) listening, going back and forth here are some early thoughts:

The difference isn't subtle, but it isn't night and day. It's a lot like the differences between many TOTL headphones, the differences are slightly exaggerated when you try to express it writing.
To repeat what pretty much everyone says: HD800 Classic is brighter, HD800 S is warmer. Both are detail monsters with big sound stage. But wait! There's more...

So far I have only listened to rock music, since that is where I found the classic sometimes problematic. I will listen to acoustic Jazz, classical (chamber and symphonic) and other genres later. Mostly I listened on my Lehman BCL because I can go back and forth easily since it has two single-ended head-outs. I have also listened a little bit to my Icon Audio HP8 mkII amp with NOS sylvania 6SN7 (70s) and a modern JJ gold pin ECC83, my current fave tubes so far. I need more time, but I have a feeling that the classic is more amp sensitive than his younger brother. But that is total conjecture at this point. But if that is true then the total cost of ownership for the youngster MIGHT be less than his more picky older bro. But I really need much more than 4 hours and two amps to be sure. I can say that so far on rock music the Icon seems to be less better than the Lehmann BCL with version nouveau vs. classic (where the ICON's charms are more immediately obvious).

I can see some people who have been using the HD800 for years now, preferring HD800 classic, but for most others, I would guess HD800 S would be preferable.

Listening to the hi-res, Stephen Wilson remix of Yes's Fragile, the classic sounds a little sibilant on Roundabout: "I'll SSSSpend the day your way". The youngster reveals no such emphasis. The album is musically amazing and but the recording quality, even after it's been Steven Wilsonified, is so-so. The youngster just sounds so much more right. The classic has a tendency to sound grainy on this recording. For example the South Side of the Sky sounds like the VU meters are way into the red when the sound it at a crescendo, ("seems like all eternity), well at least if you are listening to classic. But the young guy makes this sound, well, smoother.

The heightened treble of the original does give in some cases the sense of a little more air and details.

As and example of this, I was listening to a hi-res version of David Gilmour's newest, Rattle that Lock. The song Dancing Right In Front of Me has a beautiful solo towards then end. Under the guitar is classic sounding Floydish background vocals. It sounds further down in the mix on the youngster and noticeably more up front on the classic. I would recommend that anyone who has the HD800 try to demo before upgrading. Or maybe not because I think on balance the new HD800 S is probably the more sonicly accurate headphone.

The youngster seems to be better suited to brightly recorded and poorly recorded material.

More to come....

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #2,115 of 6,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back