Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,012 of 6,504

OK. First and last time I post some measurements here. See measurements of Tyll's mod attempts. (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HD800compareRightFR.pdf) you'll see that any option has not so much effect on the peak itself. it's an overbeated subject here or there. the effect of most mods based on Arnaud/Jazz/Anaxilus work are always more seeable in the midrange and affect more the subjective impressions than what we can see in the FR plots.  But it seems you know better that me. I'm fine with that after all.

Please don't stop posting measurements, dude!  

I have a pair on the way, btw...

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,014 of 6,504
  So what you are saying is that you forgot the HDVD800 and it is sitting at home right next to a stack of other things you left...? 
tongue_smile.gif

Having to change the cable makes an A/B comparison impossible, I agree, but I would anyways prefer a longer term test before you change to unbalanced. For me it is easier to get the subtleties between amps, but maybe that is a personal thing. Say, if one of these days you become curious and want to try it, let me know what comes out of it. 
smile.gif

Not sure what to make of DSD, but none of the music I listen to is available in exotic formats beyond lossless flac, so probably not a feature I would ever miss. But when spending 2k on an amp/dac I might as well get every state of the art feature so I won't regret it in the future. Also, I still lean towards two separate devices, rather than an AIO. On the other side I find it really compelling that the HDVD800 has so many connectivity options.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...

No, the HDVD800 came with me, but I only have one set of HD800S here. Nevermind. I'll try to get some time to listen to both balanced and single-ended, the latter of which I only tried with the Mojo so far, but it sounded fine to me. I don't think that for an efficient headphone like the HD800 a balanced connection is really necessary (Rob Watts of Chord despises that alltogether btw.).

DSD is to me simply not relevant. I have many titles on CD in Redbook format, which is really sufficient to me. What may give problems in comparisons of formats is that often its simply not the same mix, even if it may be coming from the same master.

Connectivity options are always a bonus... and yes, there will a black version of the HDVD800 be available at some time, but I don't know of a specific release date. It may well be the case that it even supports DSD...

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #2,015 of 6,504
Dec 28, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,016 of 6,504
@Sorrodje I think you measurements *are* valuable. And since you were even so mindful to mention that they are not directly comparable with other measurements, there's no reason to stop. I think it does show the difference between stock and S.

Quote:
So did any HD800 and HD800S owners try to EQ the HD800 to sound like HD800S? Would that be possible?

I don't think so as the mechanical resonator will have other phase impact than a filter... But you can of course dampen that spike a bit. Still I think that topic was already discussed quite a bit here on head-fi and elsewhere :wink:

It is supposed too...

I did not see them mention it, but that may well be because I'm not interested in DSD... So if it does thats certainly good news for all those interested in DSD.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,017 of 6,504
So did any HD800 and HD800S owners try to EQ the HD800 to sound like HD800S? Would that be possible?

Digital parametric equalization is always an option, remember to eq down.
Personally I don't eq, I'm a firm believer in flat eq, it's up to the hardware and all of the chain, to provide the most enjoyable sound to my ears.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,018 of 6,504

I don't think so as the mechanical resonator will have other phase impact than a filter... But you can of course dampen that spike a bit. Still I think that topic was already discussed quite a bit here on head-fi and elsewhere :wink:

I did not see them mention it, but that may well be because I'm not interested in DSD... So if it does thats certainly good news for all those interested in DSD.

You can hear from Sennhiser here that the new HDVD800 supports DSD. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #2,019 of 6,504

I would actually take this graph with a pinch of salt ... firstly why is HD800 modded and stock almost identical? So the next question would be a) was the mod done wrongly? or b) was the measurement not accurate? Either scenario would mean that this graph is inconclusive in proving that the HD800S is the winner here :) Cheers feel free to feedback

OK. First and last time I post some measurements here. See measurements of Tyll's mod attempts. (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HD800compareRightFR.pdf) you'll see that any option has not so much effect on the peak itself. it's an overbeated subject here or there. the effect of most mods based on Arnaud/Jazz/Anaxilus work are always more seeable in the midrange and affect more the subjective impressions than what we can see in the FR plots.  But it seems you know better that me. I'm fine with that after all.

I wondered myself why there's virtually no damping effect on the 6 kHz resonance peak in your graph. I recall that even in Tyll's measurements it was less than expected (also from the listening impressions), and now in your case it's virtually absent at all. Well, it was never clear to me that the 6 kHz resonance is related to a standing wave between driver and ear; it could just as well be originated in the driver itself – more precisely: its magnet system, interacting with the membrane. In this case the new HD 800 S solution is a good one. It is good anyway, since it's more effective than the damping measures in terms of the resonance peak. The damping mods have an audible effect on the peak nonetheless via general reduction of high-frequency energy. This is achieved by minimizing solely the reflected content, not the original signal. So if I were to buy the HD 800 S, I would certainly do the damping mod nonetheless, since I'm interested in a pure signal with as little addition/coloration as possible. Near-field reflections are such a feature, moreover they're prone to reduce transparency and detail resolution (important for the reproduction of spatial depth). Whoever misses some treble energy after doing so is better off to equalize than to renounce the damping if the goal is maximum accuracy.

We love Sorrodje ^_^

Yes, we do – and we love France anyway!
smile.gif
So don't be too thin-skinned, Sorrodje! I found your measurements extremely useful, thanks for them! And a happy new year – to all!

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #2,020 of 6,504

I wondered myself why there's virtually no damping effect on the 6 kHz resonance peak in your graph. I recall that even in Tyll's measurements it was less than expected (also from the listening impressions), and now in your case it's virtually absent at all. Well, it was never clear to me that the 6 kHz resonance is related to a standing wave between driver and ear; it could just as well be originated in the driver itself – more precisely: its magnet system, interacting with the membrane. In this case the new HD 800 S solution is a good one. It is good anyway, since it's more effective than the damping measures in terms of the resonance peak. The damping mods have an audible effect on the peak nonetheless via general reduction of high-frequency energy. This is achieved by minimizing solely the reflected content, not the original signal. So if I were to buy the HD 800 S, I would certainly do the damping mod nonetheless, since I'm interested in a pure signal with as little addition/coloration as possible. Near-field reflections are such a feature, moreover they're prone to reduce transparency and detail resolution (important for the reproduction of spatial depth). Whoever misses some treble energy after doing so is better off to equalize than to renounce the damping if the goal is maximum accuracy.

Yes, we do – and we love France anyway!
smile.gif
So don't be too thin-skinned, Sorrodje! And a happy new year – to all!

This made me think how much you would hate an Ultrasone headphone, especially the closed back ones. 

They have the driver, then a plate of metal. The soundwaves go from the driver to the ear, then some hit the plate, go to the back of the cup, then back to the plate then to the air, creating a sort of reverb which comes off later as soundstage. It is amazing how good it sounds considering what it is.  All this while some waves coming from the back of the driver hit the back of the cup then go to the metal plate, then to the back of the cup again then to the holes in the metal plate. Amazing stuff really. 

Back to HD800S, If the graphs were right, and the treble is similar to the HD600, I also suspect that Sennheiser might had used a light padding or treatment with sort of paint or absorber where the original reflection taken place. It would make sense that they would learn from mistakes, and make HD800S in such a way to not need any modding anymore, but it is a speculation so far.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,021 of 6,504
Sorrodje,

Thank you VERY much for the measurements. Please do not stop posting measurements. I personally found them HIGHLY useful, only wishing you had an HD-650 thrown in as well.
biggrin.gif

I am impressed by these measurements, to say the least. I was hoping the 800S would retain all of the great qualities of the original 800, while reducing the sibilants. It looks like this is exactly what has happened. Sadly, I have not heard the original 800, but as of now I do plan to buy the 800S when funds allow...which may be a LONG while from now.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2,022 of 6,504
Quick message to let folks know that Meier Audio appear to have the HD800S back in stock. They have just let me know - I have made payment and my headphone should ship soon.

Really looking forward to this headphone. I have been a big fan of the HD800 for a while and the HD800S promises to take this great can up a couple of notches.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,023 of 6,504
  Quick message to let folks know that Meier Audio appear to have the HD800S back in stock. They have just let me know - I have made payment and my headphone should ship soon.

Really looking forward to this headphone. I have been a big fan of the HD800 for a while and the HD800S promises to take this great can up a couple of notches.

What a way to start the new year with a bang Tony! Happy days are here again...
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,024 of 6,504

Good news indeed .....congrats TN !

Such a shame though that your HD-800 could not be resurrected from the dead ... such a loss
wink_face.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,025 of 6,504

Good news indeed .....congrats TN !

Such a shame though that your HD-800 could not be resurrected from the dead ... such a loss
wink_face.gif

Thanks. My HD800 is not totally deceased - I have contact the local Sennheiser folks about getting a repair. All it probably needs is a new right hand driver (I hope).

If it can be fixed that would be handy - a backup HD800 and something to A/B test with the HD800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back