Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 12, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,021 of 6,504
  whoa... I got my HD800 for 1300+tx without the 6k peak... I don't think I'm going to pay double the price the the 1% improvement....

There are many audiophiles who will pay as much or more for less. 
biggrin.gif
 Well, not me...but real audiophiles. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,024 of 6,504
On the basis we don't have the definitive pricing from Sennheiser in the various markets and haven't heard the level of improvement to the sound quality (if there is indeed an improvement) how are we judging this as poor value for money?

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,027 of 6,504

Not "too" bad as oppose to LCD4/HE1000 :).  But I would not spend more money on headphones.

If you guys have not heard a good set of speakers I suggest them because it's catching up the headphone level if you compare money against the value.
Should try the PSB Imagine T3 line.  My jaw dropped when I heard them. :)

I hear you on 2 channel gear.

I have a pair of Totem Earth's priced around the range as those PSB towers you speak of......

Having more air between the speakers with a 2 channel is still much more enjoyable for me vs Headphones. Soundstage is still not as achievable with headphones.....

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,028 of 6,504
First of all the list price for the HD800 is 1299 euro, and the HD800S is 1599, which includes the balanced cable. Senn saying it is only a little better is a welcome change from the usual ridiculous hyperbole of the current market. The HD800 is the best dynamic headphone ever made so of course the new one is only a little better. In fact, even if you think some other headphone is better than the HD800, it is only a little better. So for 300 euro extra you get a better headphone, with a balanced cable which  is because Senn is hoping you will also buy one of their amps. Obviously. It is a rational marketing strategy, even though many of you don't seem to understand why. In time (probably short) the headphone will have a similar percentage discounts off retail like the HD800. And there will be bundles with the amp offering discounts on both when bough together, at least that is what you see here in europe. But if you don't like it, go buy the $3000 slightly better (or worse depending on your taste) HE1000 or buy the slightly better or worse SR009 and an expensive amp, that you have to wait six months to be built for 9k or buy the definitely worse LCD4 for 4k.... jeez.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,029 of 6,504
Quote:
  First of all the list price for the HD800 is 1299 euro, and the HD800S is 1599, which includes the balanced cable. Senn saying it is only a little better is a welcome change from the usual ridiculous hyperbole of the current market. The HD800 is the best dynamic headphone ever made so of course the new one is only a little better. In fact, even if you think some other headphone is better than the HD800, it is only a little better. So for 300 euro extra you get a better headphone, with a balanced cable which  is because Senn is hoping you will also buy one of their amps. Obviously. It is a rational marketing strategy, even though many of you don't seem to understand why. In time (probably short) the headphone will have a similar percentage discounts off retail like the HD800. And there will be bundles with the amp offering discounts on both when bough together, at least that is what you see here in europe. But if you don't like it, go buy the $3000 slightly better (or worse depending on your taste) HE1000 or buy the slightly better or worse SR009 and an expensive amp, that you have to wait six months to be built for 9k or buy the definitely worse LCD4 for 4k.... jeez.

Refreshingly honest post, thanks. Agreed 100%.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,030 of 6,504

This is...err...obvious.   I understand why Sennheiser is doing this.   What I find surprising is how easily many existing HD800 users are being manipulated.    They are selling their HD800's left and right...and they are lining up eagerly to buy a cable they don't need and a mod that costs a couple of dollars (and that they can apply to their current models now).  Oh well, good for those who will be buying those used HD800's for a terrific price.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,031 of 6,504

This is...err...obvious.   I understand why Sennheiser is doing this.   What I find surprising is how easily many existing HD800 users are being manipulated.    They are selling their HD800's left and right...and they are lining up eagerly to buy a cable they don't need and a mod that costs a couple of dollars (and that they can apply to their current models now).  Oh well, good for those who will be buying those used HD800's for a terrific price.

Yeah, it is definitely a good time to buy a used HD800. While it does remain a reasonable question how Senn's mod compares to Anax's,there are some legitimate costs involved in the R&D to find a material that a) works and b) still works even after the diaphram moves back and forth a million times. They didn't just stick some felt in the cup ya know. And over on another site you can see early attempts to mimic the new Senn mod, so it is different then what Anax has been done before. And it could be much better, the Anax mod does take a wee bit of the resolution and air away. Also Senn, in keeping with their decades of experience, wants to make sure that the supply for the new materials can be sourced for at least a decade or two. So there is that...

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,032 of 6,504
  Yeah, it is definitely a good time to buy a used HD800. While it does remain a reasonable question how Senn's mod compares to Anax's,there are some legitimate costs involved in the R&D to find a material that a) works and b) still works even after the diaphram moves back and forth a million times. They didn't just stick some felt in the cup ya know. And over on another site you can see early attempts to mimic the new Senn mod, so it is different then what Anax has been done before. And it could be much better, the Anax mod does take a wee bit of the resolution and air away. Also Senn, in keeping with their decades of experience, wants to make sure that the supply for the new materials can be sourced for at least a decade or two. So there is that...

But imagine if people actually prefer an HD800 with the current mod. 

Imagine if Tyll reviews the HD800s and says that he likes his modded HD800 better...I wonder what all those guys who are selling their HD800's right now will think.
confused_face_2.gif
blink.gif

Well, at least they'll have a nice new cable to play with.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,033 of 6,504
If the price ends up being $2,500 or more, hello HE-1000 goodbye any interest in Senn. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,034 of 6,504
If the price ends up being $2,500 or more, hello HE-1000 goodbye any interest in Senn. 

Have fun owning a $3000 headphone which has terrible distortion measurements for a high end headphone.

Technically, the original HD800 is even better.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,035 of 6,504
Does the HD800S also come with a normal cable? I don't have an balanced amplifier (yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back