Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 10, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #991 of 6,504

Sure you have all seen these charts before. Seems like the HD800S will be the headphone of choice for the very young or the fairer sex:)
Seems most of us 25+year old males could do with a little treble injection!

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #992 of 6,504

Im almost 43 and I don't perceive the sound signature of my rig to be harsh in any way. Maybe if I were younger it would be a different story. I feel an HD800S would be going in the wrong direction for me personally.

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #993 of 6,504
You got that wrong, before you had to be at least 50 to be compatible with the HD800. Now you can be as young as 30 and still be compatible. This is Sennheiser going after a younger audience. :)

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #994 of 6,504
Haha! Just shows that this hobby needs to be tailored very personally to ourselves and many of the arguments I read on this forum could be quickly dispelled if people knew a little more about our ears and learned to be a little more understanding about how other people could have very conflicting points of view.
Today I measured the hearing of a 15 year old boy and he could not hear 10KHz. I felt very sorry for him.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #995 of 6,504
  <snip snip>  Basic economics says that if there is demand, prices will rise. < snip snip >

Basic economics says a lot of things. Mainly that there is a Price-Supply Equilibrium. Demand by itself does not cause price increases. Price increases are a result of insufficient supply (and/or lack of adequate substitutes) to meet the market demand. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #998 of 6,504
  It would have been cool if they changed the earpad material to something more luxurious like the Sony F1. I thought the stock HD800 earpad material was pretty crappy, reminiscent of cheap pool table felt.

The HD800 earpads and headband use Alcantara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_%28material%29 used in many luxury cars, such a Porsche seats.

Momentum On-Ears use it as well.

Alcantara is akin to Ultraleather, though only rated for half as many rubs at 100,000.

I can only recall one other earpads using Alcantara (nobody uses Ultraleather yet) and those are the Shure SRH-1540 earpads.

Unlike many velour and micro-suede earpads of other headphones, the HD800 ones have never caused my skin discomfort or itch, amd they don't shed either.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #999 of 6,504

The HD800 earpads and headband use Alcantara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_%28material%29 used in many luxury cars, such a Porsche seats.

Momentum On-Ears use it as well.

Alcantara is akin to Ultraleather, though only rated for half as many rubs at 100,000.

I can only recall one other earpads using Alcantara (nobody uses Ultraleather yet) and those are the Shure SRH-1540 earpads.

Unlike many velour and micro-suede earpads of other headphones, the HD800 ones have never caused my skin discomfort or itch, amd they don't shed either.

Yeah, I knew it used a fancy material, but it definitely feels cheap to me. But I guess you have the benefits of non-itchy, non-shedding, etc. And I'm guessing there are variations of it.

The 1540's pads felt substantially softer to the touch and I would have never guessed they are the same material. Perhaps the flatness of the HD800 pads have something to do with it, but then again, just the texture feels unappealing to me. But, I guess you don't listen to headphones for the purpose of analyzing the earpad softness... just a personal nitpick I found.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,000 of 6,504

That's just a few hundred more than the current MSRP of the HD800, not too bad.

So it could have been the same price as the 800, but forcing you to buy a cable you don't need allows them to continue selling  the 800 at it's current price.

Until I can buy one without the balanced cable I'm out.   There are just way, way too many other really good options for me to throw money at a cable I'll never use.  

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,001 of 6,504

Im almost 43 and I don't perceive the sound signature of my rig to be harsh in any way. Maybe if I were younger it would be a different story. I feel an HD800S would be going in the wrong direction for me personally.

This is exactly why my wife prefers the HD800.  She has tinnitus and the HD800 treble is able to overcome the ringing in her ears without sounding harsh.  Kind of like an audiophile hearing aid aimed at delivering music directly into the skull.  LOL.

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,002 of 6,504

That's just a few hundred more than the current MSRP of the HD800, not too bad.

So it could have been the same price as the 800, but forcing you to buy a cable you don't need allows them to continue selling  the 800 at it's current price.

Until I can buy one without the balanced cable I'm out.   There are just way, way too many other really good options for me to throw money at a cable I'll never use.  

You could just get the HD800 and that doesn't come with a balanced cable:sunglasses:

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,003 of 6,504

This is exactly why my wife prefers the HD800.  She has tinnitus and the HD800 treble is able to overcome the ringing in her ears without sounding harsh.  Kind of like an audiophile hearing aid aimed at delivering music directly into the skull.  LOL.

My better half has the same problem and just started last week with this app :
http://promedicalaudio.com/
Pretty self explanatory how it works (supposedly) but when someone is suffering from tinnitus, they will try anything to get rid of it or at least calm it down.
I keep all my fingers crossed that it will help.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,004 of 6,504
The HD 800 looks so, so much better in this color scheme. 
smile.gif

Not a very substantive observation, but, as I'm not likely to own this any time in the near future, I just thought that I'd register a lustful remark. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back