Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 7, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #946 of 6,514
So.....what?
I don't think that they will run side by side for years to come, something you hinted at.

But why? I do see a history (as I pointed out) that they did and didn't have a problem doing so. Why give up the market segment that prefers a brighter presentation to your competition when you can have them both?

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #947 of 6,514
We just have to wait and see.
Not that it really matters in the scheme of things.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #948 of 6,514
We just have to wait and see.
Not that it really matters in the scheme of things.

I just think both will be around together for some time. The HD800s are true classics and why stop a classic? 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #949 of 6,514
According to a video that was released few days ago at a show the Sennheiser rep indicated hd800S will be available very soon. The demo unit looked like finished final product. A new Sennheiser amp will also be released in few months supposed to compliment the hd800S.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #950 of 6,514

But why? I do see a history (as I pointed out) that they did and didn't have a problem doing so. Why give up the market segment that prefers a brighter presentation to your competition when you can have them both?

I'm seeing the HD800S vs HD800's as much more akin to the ATH M50/M50x's rather than a new model like the HD600's/HD650's were.

Don't really see any point for them to be running the 2 production lines for what's basically the same product.

If the differences were more than a minor update then yeah - would be deserving of a new model designation and to run in parallel. 

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #951 of 6,514
A smoother treble reponse and better bass extension is enough to warrant a HD600/650 analogy

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #953 of 6,514

OK. I'm just trying to understand why people are arguing about it being more expensive when we don't even have a firm price yet, or even know what it will ship with, cable-wise. 
smile.gif

I'm trying to understand why this place is so heavily advertised? Took me 10 minutes and who knows how many refreshes just to get this brief post submitted. Lame...I'm sorry but it's really lame. I understand you guys gotta make your scrilla but damn.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #954 of 6,514

Yes, and that's what I hope would happen.

If these have balanced cables included for a $200+ increase over the original HD800's, then they have a sale with me. 

I want something to complement my current setup with a wider soundstage.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #955 of 6,514

OK. I'm just trying to understand why people are arguing about it being more expensive when we don't even have a firm price yet, or even know what it will ship with, cable-wise. 
smile.gif

I'm trying to understand why this place is so heavily advertised? Took me 10 minutes and who knows how many refreshes just to get this brief post submitted. Lame...I'm sorry but it's really lame. I understand you guys gotta make your scrilla but damn.

I don't get anything from the advertising or sponsorship, my presense here is voluntary. That aside, the bandwidth and storage costs for running a site this large are astronomical. Many things would simply be impossible if there were no revenue stream.
What might be an idea is to run a benchmark in your browser (Safari on the Mac does it, not sure about other browsers and/or if plug-ins are required) and see if a particular element is causing a slow-down. Nothing should but I've had the odd thing cause trouble. PM me if you want to followup on this.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #956 of 6,514
Actually I am not so concerned about the price on the HD800S as I don't imagine it will be a significant step up in sound quality over the HD800. Otherwise then I believe that Sennheiser would have added a new model number as they did with the 600 to 650. Likewise I'd wager that Sennheiser will be waiting to see how sales of the 800 are affected by the 800S. I am sure they would have expected the 600 to have disappeared to be overtaken by the 650. So I would imagine that the 800S is as much to retain the product lifespan of the 800 product line as it is to improve some drastic flaw in the original. I am not in agreement with the notion that the stock headphone is unlistenable to. No disrespect to you if you have modified yours of course.

I don't have access to the data (but you can purchase it) to know who the big global players are in headphone sales. I'll take a guess that Sennheiser are not the biggest in total but are likely to be top in sales of $500 + headphones or however they segment global sales into sub divisions.

If that is true (and its just another guess) then the HD800 is probably or close to being the market leader in $1000 + headphones segment and so it is an important product to Sennheiser. That being said and with the release of the new Orpheus then you'd have to wonder when and if a (much) more sensibly priced version will be born and if that will be the ultimate replacement for the HD800.

So despite the 800S providing small improvements to sound quality according to Axel Grell, I am not getting excited until I hear it versus my own stock 800s. The pricing for the 800S will not be significantly higher than the 800 because Sennheiser want to remain in their market leading position until a true successor is launched and they will already have recouped their R&D costs and their production set up costs for the 800. The 800S does not appear to require new drivers or magnets or any other new major components so it really is a line extension. Therefore they can come with a sensible price on them as their profitability wont be affected unless they lose sales growth to competitors. Head Fi itself will be one factor of course in deciding pricing as a look into what the market is thinking and expecting!   

On the other hand I could be completely wrong on all of this but in any event I'm going now for tea and buns.    

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #957 of 6,514
So.....what?
I don't think that they will run side by side for years to come, something you hinted at.

I feel this way as well. I can't see why the two variants would co-exist for long, but certainly I have no way of knowing. I try to think of an advantage, but none comes to mind. I am going to guess that 800 sales have been dropping with all of the new competition for top-tier cans and by tweaking the 800 they might get some up-tick in sales without a complete re-tooling of the design which is expensive and time consuming. I think as I'm sure many other do that a successor is indeed in the works and this is a stop-gap move. Rampant speculation of course, nothing more.

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #958 of 6,514

Don't really see any point for them to be running the 2 production lines for what's basically the same product.

The point is:   $$$$

If they increase the price of the HD800s by say, $400, and include a pair of balanced cables, they will basically force you to buy their expensive cables with the promise of increased sound quality.    This plan seems to be working to some degree -- look all the HD800 models in the sales forum.   They will rake the benefits of a new product release without the cost of R&D.  Brilliant.

They can continue to offer the HD800 for those who do not want an extra cable or can't afford the HD800s.    Reduce the price of the normal model by just a little bit and some buyers will chose that one over the HD800s because they will think they are getting a deal.   A production line for the HD800 is a guy putting a headphone together by hand.  All they have to do is put a little more material here and there when they assemble the HD800s.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #960 of 6,514
In order to avoid confusion on the consumer end, Sennheiser will eventually discontinue the HD800.
It doesn't make sense to have two similar sounding models on the market as the consumer will always go for the one which is "a little better".
I also think price will be the same as the original HD800 price or only slightly more.
The idea of having an improved HD800 for a sensible price will tempt a lot of people who at the moment think of going for a LCD4 etc.

I suspect the reason it's being introduced this way is they don't want the value of in-stock HD800's to drop dramatically.   'Oh yeah, the new one is just a little better'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back