Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 29, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #752 of 6,504
These look beautiful.  I wish colorware offered to customize colors on a pair you already own still.  I couldn't get mine painted in a different color.

Oh, well.  HD800s are still one of the greatest headphones ever made and one of the most beautiful designs as well.  They just look like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #753 of 6,504
I wonder if the difference in margin will be similar to that of the HD650 is to HD600..... here's hoping so
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #754 of 6,504
  After reading most of these posts about the HD800S... I wouldn't pay more than $1800 and I speculate that the MSRP will be around $1950.

im loosing im loosing im loosing im loosing ... my vitamin C 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #756 of 6,504
  I wonder if the difference in margin will be similar to that of the HD650 is to HD600..... here's hoping so
biggrin.gif

I doubt it, but I would love to be pleasantly suprised. To me it seems like Sennheiser just fixed the faults of HD800 hence the name instead of HD850, made a paintjob, added a balanced cable which isn't needed and then hope people will pay premium for it. From reading this thread it seems many are willing to do that which is exactly the reason why other companies keep making overpriced products. Some people just hands over their wallet to the companies without questioning the prices. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #757 of 6,504
  In 1991, the HD 580 came out, blew every other headphone ever made previously out of the water except for the very limited Sennheiser Orpheus and Joe Grado HP1000, and cost only $349. Now we have several two thousand dollar headphones that actually sound worse than the HD 580 in many ways that can't be made consistently while the HD 580's slightly refined successor (the current HD 650) is still the king for the least offensive frequency response. The HD 800 does some things very right (some of the most capable drivers ever) and very wrong with regards to reproducing recordings. It has that artificially large soundstage that messes with imaging (check out an orchestra or panned drum kit on them vs decentish speakers), has that 1980s diffuse field treble of hell that the 580/600/650 left behind to appeal to certain nouveau riche markets that the ( Sennheiser actually said "different countries prefer different sounds"), and that horrible 6kHz pencil in your ear resonance.

No. They changed a lot about the HD 600 and 650. The new pads and silver material are stiffer and sound more neutral and less warm. People have mixed, matched, and measured them on all the headphones of the 580 line. The HD 650 drivers were also made more neutral too as the pads and silver mesh do not account for all of the changes. The HD 650 is now almost the same as the HD 600 except for being better built with cleaner bass and slightly dark where the 600 is slightly bright. SonarWorks measured multiple current, 2015 production units and you can see how they measure in their plugin. Here's a screenshot:

Well yeah as the frequency response is not neutral and the HD 800's artificial AKGish soundstage is just disappointing compared to the smaller but accurate with instrumental placing and space HD 6X0 one. The basic twin guitar rock and metal album instrumental space with the hard panned L and R rhythm guitars, bassist near whichever guitar part he is reinforcing, somewhat centered vocalist, different elements of the drum kit slightly panned L or R but still mostly centered, leads either another guitar part or one of the rhythm guitarist switching to lead is messed up on the HD 800 and that is easy as hell to do. Philip Glass and the Kronos Quartet sounds just wrong on it compared to speakers. The staging of the HD 800 is too "consumer"! A shame for maybe the most detailed drivers ever.

Pretty sure the r-10 debuted in 1989. Have not listened to an r-10 but I have a feeling it would spank the hd580. Would not be surprised if there are some vintage t-50 and Yamaha owners that disagree with that drivel as well.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #760 of 6,504

I doubt it, but I would love to be pleasantly suprised. To me it seems like Sennheiser just fixed the faults of HD800 hence the name instead of HD850, made a paintjob, added a balanced cable which isn't needed and then hope people will pay premium for it. From reading this thread it seems many are willing to do that which is exactly the reason why other companies keep making overpriced products. Some people just hands over their wallet to the companies without questioning the prices. 

I'm not saying the HD800S will sound anything like a HD650, I'm talking about the margin being similar between the two headphones "HD600 and HD650"

I really think it could be a possibility

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #761 of 6,504
I'm sure Sennheiser will overprice these, just like the HD700.  Then they will gradually lower the price till they reach the volume they were hoping for.  Lesson?  If you want to be an early adopter of the HD800s, plan on being boned....

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #762 of 6,504
I'm sure Sennheiser will overprice these, just like the HD700.  Then they will gradually lower the price till they reach the volume they were hoping for.  Lesson?  If you want to be an early adopter of the HD800s, plan on being boned....

Yep...patience is, indeed, a virtue!

In the past few months, I've been quoted $420 for a new-in-box HD700 from an authorized dealer. Would've taken it but went for a first generation T1 for $629 -- new, authorized dealer as well.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #763 of 6,504
was planning on buying hd800 now i think hd 800s are insta cop?

how long do u guys think we gotta wait for these to come out? by end of 2015? i really wana spoil myself with nice christmas gift!

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #764 of 6,504
Probably more into 2016 from what I've scanned.
More extended but not more impactful bass?
I'm still waiting for the mythical hd850.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #765 of 6,504

Pretty sure the r-10 debuted in 1989. Have not listened to an r-10 but I have a feeling it would spank the hd580. Would not be surprised if there are some vintage t-50 and Yamaha owners that disagree with that drivel as well.

Let's not forget Stax.  They had the SR-Sigma lineup before then, and plenty of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back