Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #721 of 6,504
Here is my idea pertaining to how Sennheiser can keep the current MSRP for both the HD-800 and the new HD-800s.

HD-800: Black Box
HD-800s: Red Box, ship with 1/4 standard plug cable marked clearly on box.
HD-800s: Gold Box, ship with XLR balanced cable marked clearly on box.

I got the idea for the box colors from a flag I saw somewhere.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #722 of 6,504
  If it's $1799 there's a pair of Ether C's in my future.  

Ether is the other one I'm considering for the future. Really for me it's between Senn and Ether when I finally buy an ultra-headphone.

But that's gonna be like, mid-2016 or something. Who knows what'll be around by then. I need more disposable income before I think about any of this junk. And knowing me and my obsessiveness issues, I'll probably have found something else to obsess about by then and be perfectly happy with whatever HPs I have at the time.

Yeah I've heard great about the X2 and am going for it, alongside some Q701 for when I want a "colder" headphone. The two together will be good for now I think.

For those of you wanting to go for the HD800 it looks like it's popular in the polls on Massdrop right now. This news probably affected that. I'd suppose if the HD800S comes around Massdrop might start being something to watch for cheap HD800 steals unless you can just find someone that wants to sell their's cheap.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #724 of 6,504
Yes, and pear cables amirite? : http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou_sc.htm CAN'T HAVE GOOD AUDIO WITHOUT A $2,750 CABLE! WOO!! (Actually I don't think they make headphone ones but whatever you get the joke dammit).

Dat placebo effect doh!

On a serious note, actually I'm more interested in the regular Ether. I mean, unless the Ether C is better for some reason.

But I'm not gonna bother with both. I mean $2500 overall into this thing is quite enough (speaking of all my headphone-related purchases over my lifetime). I just wanna get a great one and be DONE.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #725 of 6,504
I mean, the going rate for 1991 used technology is well in excess of $20,000. $1,599 for 2009 technology may or may not be a good deal, but the year is beside the point.

The point though, is maybe many don't think of this model as the full successor?

Do you really think that this "s" technology is all they have achieved in 7 years? Really?

The best thing that could happen will most likely happen. Each listener will have his pet, like with the HD600 and HD650 clubs.

Thus the HD800, HD800s and new HD900 and HD900s will all have their fans willing to validate the price with purchases and love. Technology made to be classic.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #726 of 6,504
Do you really think that this "s" technology is all they have achieved in 7 years? Really?

Love this. So true. At least Sennheiser is pulling away from cheap metallic silver spray painted plastic. At least the plastic is now black and not trying to fool anyone that it is made from metal. Also, I agree with Redcarmoose and even the video, "a little bit better".... Puuuulllleeeasse!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/399951/sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted-plastic-and-the-new-acid-washed-jeans

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #727 of 6,504
Love this. So true. At least Sennheiser is pulling away from cheap metallic silver spray painted plastic. At least the plastic is now black and not trying to fool anyone that it is made from metal. Also, I agree with Redcarmoose and even the video, "a little bit better".... Puuuulllleeeasse!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/399951/sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted-plastic-and-the-new-acid-washed-jeans

Actually at some point soon I figure we will see and hear what 7 years of development have done. Though I don't think it will be packed into the "s" model.

I figure the HD 900 will maybe be round? Remember they are "Reshaping Excellence" and this "s" is not a reshape?

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #730 of 6,504
Would it be useful or helpful if somebody could put up a poll on this thread to define what price band that people think is reasonable for the forthcoming HD800S as that might then help to send a message to Sennheiser before they finalise this?  

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #731 of 6,504
  Would it be useful or helpful if somebody could put up a poll on this thread to define what price band that people think is reasonable for the forthcoming HD800S as that might then help to send a message to Sennheiser before they finalise this?  

Drop the HD800 by $200

Release the S at the current price, including the cable

By giving the glimpse of the new model a couple of months early they can defuse any cries from people who bought an HD800 in the leadup ("hey - it was common knowledge that there were changes afoot")

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #732 of 6,504
Have Sennheiser asked for such 

Everyone is panicking about pricing yet there is absolutely no evidence that Seenheiser intend to go down the £2k plus route.  Beyer have not with T1.2 and that is surely more relevant to Senn than the unobtanium pricing of others.  TBH The more speculation on that the more likely they are to maybe decide they can do so. Lets just wait and see.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #733 of 6,504
  Have Sennheiser asked for such 

Everyone is panicking about pricing yet there is absolutely no evidence that Seenheiser intend to go down the £2k plus route.  Beyer have not with T1.2 and that is surely more relevant to Senn than the unobtanium pricing of others.  TBH The more speculation on that the more likely they are to maybe decide they can do so. Lets just wait and see.

They said it sounds about the same - they didn't say it costs about the same.

They should have

Then would could be speculating on the minor sound improvements and the minor price variations

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #735 of 6,504

Honestly, I don't think it's helpful to feed the process like this.  The recent trend of announcing a product and (allegedly) basing pricing on subsequent consumer chatter is rather distasteful. The "it's capitalism, stupid" argument is a cop out imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back