Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 2, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #5,986 of 6,504
Interesting you brought that up because I have considered the Taurus MK2. Came to the conclusion that the Ragnarok probably sounded as good or better and was more versatile. But would not know for sure unless I heard it first. I may love the way the MK2 sounds with the HD800S and not even know it. I appreciate you sharing your perspective on the MK2. That helps me.

Glad to be of help. It's definitely worth an audition. It's one amp that truly lets me hear everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING. But not in any forced way as its massive soundstage and precise separation puts everything in their right place. So you might like it, as many others have. I'm a closet tube guy so I sold it and went for amps that are sonically fuller, euphoric and all those oddly romantic descriptions. I eventually settled on the iCAN SE which straddles perfectly between SS and tube. Plus it's way cheaper too. Happy auditioning!

May 2, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #5,987 of 6,504
Glad to be of help. It's definitely worth an audition. It's one amp that truly lets me hear everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING. But not in any forced way as its massive soundstage and precise separation puts everything in their right place. So you might like it, as many others have. I'm a closet tube guy so I sold it and went for amps that are sonically fuller, euphoric and all those oddly romantic descriptions. I eventually settled on the iCAN SE which straddles perfectly between SS and tube. Plus it's way cheaper too. Happy auditioning!

Really valuable insight for me. Thank you. I am a bit of a detail and soundstage freak. Really should not take the MK2 off my shortlist. By the way I am a closet tube person as well but for a very vain reason. I love way they look. Like being by a campfire at night. When I see the ampsound Kenzie or a Woo WA22 I start lusting for them due to their looks alone. That said after reading the Headphone.guru review of the ampandsound Kenzie I became interested in its sound due to it being more neutral not being overly euphonic like some other tube amps.

May 4, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #5,988 of 6,504
Really valuable insight for me. Thank you. I am a bit of a detail and soundstage freak. Really should not take the MK2 off my shortlist. By the way I am a closet tube person as well but for a very vain reason. I love way they look. Like being by a campfire at night. When I see the ampsound Kenzie or a Woo WA22 I start lusting for them due to their looks alone. That said after reading the Headphone.guru review of the ampandsound Kenzie I became interested in its sound due to it being more neutral not being overly euphonic like some other tube amps.

I'm an Audio-GD "house sound" type of guy. That being said, I absolutely LOVE my HD800S with my Master 9. Couldn't be happier with precision, sound, and the warmth of it all, even if it is SS.

May 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #5,990 of 6,504
I'm an ifi fanboy and my endgame amp is the iCAN Pro. Well, for now at least. But I have nothing but great respect for the Audio-GD camp. Really love their 'house sound' given the few times I got to hear it.

May 4, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #5,991 of 6,504
I'm an Audio-GD "house sound" type of guy. That being said, I absolutely LOVE my HD800S with my Master 9. Couldn't be happier with precision, sound, and the warmth of it all, even if it is SS.

So what is the difference between Master and NOS? I find the Audio-gd website a little hard to follow. Did not want to buy something Chinese but this brand is probably worthy of an exception. The are clearly kindred spirit audiophiles.

By the way I emailed Schiit Audio to ask some questions about how well the Bifrost would work with one of their balanced amps. Told them I wanted to upgrade from the Asgard 2 needing more power for the HD800S. I told them I was interested in the Ragnarok and asked them if they thought it would be a good pairing with the HD800S. They replied with the amp they recommended for the HD800S. I was surprised when they answered back with the recommendation of purchasing a Valhalla 2. They were not trying very sell me a $1700 amp or even a $850 MJ2 amp. Just the lowly Valhalla 2. I did some research on the Valhalla 2 and sure enough there are many people who do think it is a good match for the HD800s. Perhaps I was just getting brutal honesty from Nick at Schiit Audio. Having a little difficulty processing it. At the cheap $350 price I may just try one to see that the fuss is about.

May 5, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #5,992 of 6,504
So what is the difference between Master and NOS? I find the Audio-gd website a little hard to follow. Did not want to buy something Chinese but this brand is probably worthy of an exception. The are clearly kindred spirit audiophiles.

By the way I emailed Schiit Audio to ask some questions about how well the Bifrost would work with one of their balanced amps. Told them I wanted to upgrade from the Asgard 2 needing more power for the HD800S. I told them I was interested in the Ragnarok and asked them if they thought it would be a good pairing with the HD800S. They replied with the amp they recommended for the HD800S. I was surprised when they answered back with the recommendation of purchasing a Valhalla 2. They were not trying very sell me a $1700 amp or even a $850 MJ2 amp. Just the lowly Valhalla 2. I did some research on the Valhalla 2 and sure enough there are many people who do think it is a good match for the HD800s. Perhaps I was just getting brutal honesty from Nick at Schiit Audio. Having a little difficulty processing it. At the cheap $350 price I may just try one to see that the fuss is about.

I have a lot of respect for Schiit and love my Bimby. But my Valhalla 2 is not even closely in the same league as my Feliks Audio Elise. Yes, the Elise costs a lot more, and FA's new Euforia (which I have on order) costs even more, but my Elise is a match made in heaven for the HD800S. I'm pretty much a sheep calling in the wilderness about Elise on this thread, but just had to mention it in response to your post.

May 5, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #5,993 of 6,504

I'd just wait on the forums to see if you can pick up a used one for $250 to $270. Not many people end up keeping them for the long run.

I recommend trying a Garage 1217 amp if you're looking for tube pairing with some HD800S', most notably the Horizon III.

May 5, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #5,994 of 6,504
I'm learning quite a bit about amp pairing for the HD800S from these suggestions. I'm pretty happy with my iCAN SE but sure wouldn't mind exploring another option that has a 'sweeter' sonic character to it, hopefully without sacrificing details and bass slam.

May 5, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #5,995 of 6,504
I have a lot of respect for Schiit and love my Bimby. But my Valhalla 2 is not even closely in the same league as my Feliks Audio Elise. Yes, the Elise costs a lot more, and FA's new Euforia (which I have on order) costs even more, but my Elise is a match made in heaven for the HD800S. I'm pretty much a sheep calling in the wilderness about Elise on this thread, but just had to mention it in response to your post.

Thank you for mentioning it. Do you know if the Euforia is supposed to be more neutral and tighter in the bass than the Elise? I do not want a tube amp that is overly warm or smooth. My concern is that the Elise will be too smooth and have some over ripeness in the bass.

May 5, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,996 of 6,504
Thank you for mentioning it. Do you know if the Euforia is supposed to be more neutral and tighter in the bass than the Elise? I do not want a tube amp that is overly warm or smooth. My concern is that the Elise will be too smooth and have some over ripeness in the bass.

Since I haven't heard the Euforia, it's a little difficult for me to answer your question. There is no doubt that just about any tube amp introduces some coloration because of even order harmonic distortion. This is a potential issue with the S because of the small amount of second order harmonic distortion Senn introduces to "improve" bass performance.

For me, the issue with tube amps has always been do they bring me closer to my perception of how a live performance sounds. Elise, for me, passes that test with flying colors. I do not consider Elise a colored amp. As tube amps go, I feel it is pretty neutral. The main reason I'm upgrading to Euforia is because 3 people I know well and who own both amps tell me that Euforia, while maintaining the basic Elise sound, just does everything better. Perhaps one of the best comparisons of the two amps is the first post on the Euforia thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/. There's a lot of information on that thread about Euforia. Unfortunately, we Feliks Audio fanboys are quite a chatty crew and you would have to spend a lot of time going through the thread to pick up the pearls of wisdom.

You also might want to look at the first post on the currently active Elise thread. It has some good information on Elise: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...rt-please-read-first-post-for-summary.813488/

The things I like most about the Elise/S pairing is: great imaging, FR well integrated from bottom to top, very detailed without in anyway being fatiguing (can listen for hours and hours at a time), dynamic and highly musical without noticeable coloration. It is an organic and natural sound that provides me countless hours of listening enjoyment. I am anticipating that Euforia will have all that, just more better ))))

Feliks Audio amps will probably never be widely accepted. FA is a small, family owned business in Poland. The waiting lists are usually long and they offer no return privilege. Their dealer network is almost non-existent. They list no dealers on their website. So it is difficult for people to audition in advance. Ordering one of their amps is a leap of faith. It certainly was for me, but I have been thrilled I took the plunge.

There is also an issue of cost. FA builds high quality amps at a fair and realistic price. But most people I know who use either amp have spent a fair amount in tube-rolling - me included, although I'm at the end of my rolling. For me Bimby/Elise/HD800S is really an endgame, just with an appendix added on in the form of Euforia)))

A final word on bass. I won't try to say that Elise has a beats-type bass and it may not be the tightest. But it is a defined bass, not the one-note type, not at all bloaty and is well integrated with the rest of the FR. In my experience it handles the S bass quite admirably.

Good luck)))

May 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #6,000 of 6,504
Whole Head fi page is a mess now! I cant find my subs, whole menu is more complicated... I mean cmon JUDE
ok go into desktop mode, sign in, top right is subscriptions unread and all. done :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back