Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #5,957 of 6,504
Is anyone able to compare hd800s to Grado ps1000? Are they playing in same league?

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,958 of 6,504
  Is anyone able to compare hd800s to Grado ps1000? Are they playing in same league?

I'm pretty curious as well! 

They might be in the same league, but I'm not sure about them sounding even remotely similar... Geado And HD800 go for different sounds in general, but I'm still curious about this question as well! 

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #5,959 of 6,504
I find the HD800S and my PS1000e similar, but that is very dependent on the amplifier. Some amplifiers respond quite differently to the high impedance of the Sennheiser versus the low impedance of the Grado. I'm posting more from memory. I'd given up single-ended amplifiers for a while, after selling the Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD, while waiting for the Eddie Current ZDS to be built. I'll have to post back more when I start to seriously try headphones other than the Utopia with the ZDS, or try an Arcam rHead - still inbound.

I suspect though, with a low output impedance, solid state amplifier, you will get similar results between the two headphones. The NEO230HAD was the last competent amplifier, of that kind, I owned. The Grado will be a little more meaty and impactful. The Sennheiser will be a little more reserved, light on its feet, and tactful. But they will both be playing in the same ball field.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #5,960 of 6,504

Price-wise, most certainly.  SQ-wise less so.

I have listened to them on an older Peachtree Decco2 but even with this unit the difference between these cans was big and obvious.  Regardless of the music I listened to it took a couple seconds to identify them.  Comparing to the HD800S, the Grado always had a little grain.  It definitely sounds warmer with less details, less treble extension.  The Sennheiser's soundstage is an incredible experience, the Grado doesn't even come close—at least to my ears.

As sheldaze mentioned above, it could be due to the amp's response to the impedance difference but I believe you would hear more or less the same thing on any entry-level gear.

Not to mention the comfort issue; the Grado is simply uncomfortable.  I really don't have big ears but always felt like they didn't have enough room.  The PS 1000 is heavier too.

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #5,961 of 6,504
Speaking of Weight, I was at the So Cal Can Jam two weeks ago, and for the first time tried on the LCD 4's.   Wow....you could not even start to look down and they would slide off my head...Way too heavy I don't care how they sound...This was my first Can Jam, hoping they have one in the Bay Area as that 12 hour R/T is a butt burner...
blink.gif
   Love my 800S's and with my new DAC they sound better than ever!   

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #5,962 of 6,504
My HD800S are still the reign supreme in terms of comfort! The original HE-1000 was kind of like a pillow on my head, but I still knew it was there. Nothing else is as quite set and forget as much as the HD800S.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #5,963 of 6,504
The PS1000 is very distorted from top to bottom, visible and audible. They are not in the same league. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #5,964 of 6,504
  The PS1000 is very distorted from top to bottom, visible and audible. They are not in the same league. 

Think people call it the Grado sound. You either like it or you hate it. I did, once upon a time. :)

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #5,966 of 6,504

I've heard this statement before, but the only time I really heard a Grado it was for a far too short time to make a clear impression over the Grado sound 
redface.gif

It's a forward sound that some might consider bright but it gets more refined as you go up the range and it's actually quite addictive for certain music, especially rock. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #5,967 of 6,504
I never felt like I meshed enough with the Grado sound to warrant spending enough to climb up to their top level headphones, but I really liked the HF2 and SR225i.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #5,968 of 6,504
I never felt like I meshed enough with the Grado sound to warrant spending enough to climb up to their top level headphones, but I really liked the HF2 and SR225i.

Shoot. I spent some time with lowly 60e last night. Amazing sound: probably still my best bang-per-dollar. But I'm still not selling my HD800S's...

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #5,969 of 6,504
Shoot. I spent some time with lowly 60e last night. Amazing sound: probably still my best bang-per-dollar. But I'm still not selling my HD800S's...

I really like the SR60's...especially for the $$. Interestingly, when I went to buy my Grado's, I was fully prepared to buy the 325's if they sounded the best. But to my ears, I liked the SR lineup in 'reverse order'...60's most, 325's least. The 60's seemed to have the most balanced sound signature to my ears.

Regardless, there's just something unique about Grado's sound. I really like drums and guitars (acoustic especially) on them. Listening to small jazz bands, folk, blues, some rock...they really are a treat!

My initial buying experience with the SR lineup made me hesitate to spend more for their 'better' models. That said, it's been years since I bought them and they still get regular playing time.

I should probably find a store and listen to their more expensive cans. If I could find a more refined Grado that had a similar sound signature to the 60's, I just might pull the trigger.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #5,970 of 6,504

I really like the SR60's...especially for the $$. Interestingly, when I went to buy my Grado's, I was fully prepared to buy the 325's if they sounded the best. But to my ears, I liked the SR lineup in 'reverse order'...60's most, 325's least. The 60's seemed to have the most balanced sound signature to my ears.

Regardless, there's just something unique about Grado's sound. I really like drums and guitars (acoustic especially) on them. Listening to small jazz bands, folk, blues, some rock...they really are a treat!

My initial buying experience with the SR lineup made me hesitate to spend more for their 'better' models. That said, it's been years since I bought them and they still get regular playing time.

I should probably find a store and listen to their more expensive cans. If I could find a more refined Grado that had a similar sound signature to the 60's, I just might pull the trigger.

Hey. are those HD 414's in your profile pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back