Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 23, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #5,581 of 6,519
  Okay, I think I may have not been clear regarding what I was asking based on the responses I'm getting. I've dealt with balanced amps and cables before, and so know the inherent benefits of going balanced. I was looking for something along the line of:

Consistent:
1) Same balanced DAC
2) Same balanced headphone amp
3) Same pair of headphone (HD 800)

Varying:
1) The different brands of the balanced cables for HD 800 (e.g. Norse Balanced vs. CH 800 S vs. WyWorld Balanced vs. Cardas Clear Balanced).

(I figured I would ask for balanced as people are more likely to spend on an aftermaket cable when its a balanced cable as opposed to a single ended one. The comparison could also be done on a single ended amp with various cables, and I would be open to those comparisons as well.  As long as we're comparing apples with apples.)

Im supposed to be shipped DHC prion 4 balanced cable soon. Looks like a new baby may have delayed production some, notorious long lead times, but when i get it ill give the heads up. But i suspect since DHC C4 Single ended was superior to stock, balanced will be more of the same and then some....
2001 posts, my gosh time flies typing listening to tunes. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #5,582 of 6,519
Does anyone use Pelican 1200 to store HD800S? I saw @Jimmy6 used a Pelican 1300 (BTW the cut out is awesome!) and it's 5cm deeper in interior dimension. Both cases are almost identical in width and length.  

Quote:
  My Pelican 1300 case just arrived and my wife fixed it up to fit my HD800 S!

It's a bit heavy, but looks pretty well protected.

Here are some pics to give you an idea if you need an extra rugged travel case :wink:

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #5,586 of 6,519

I actually use the Auzeze Pelican case.  Got it a couple of years ago and it looks a lot like what you have pictured.  The Audeze cutout works well with the HD800.

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #5,587 of 6,519
I actually use the Auzeze Pelican case.  Got it a couple of years ago and it looks a lot like what you have pictured.  The Audeze cutout works well with the HD800.

Thanks for your suggestion, Audeze case seems a good way to go.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #5,588 of 6,519
I mentioned elsewhere that, I assume, knock off cases were available.
Here is but one source and listing.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?C=0000001435

JJ

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5,589 of 6,519
Sunday listening was good... Closed & Open

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,590 of 6,519
Oct 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #5,591 of 6,519
Nice how is the z1r

Outstanding. Became my main set.
It's strangely similar to the 800S in overall tonality, but with better bass/sub-bass, not just in quantity but especially in quality. They sound incredibly full-bodied and realistic.

I like the 800S for gaming, they still have really impressive airy, spacious holographic sound, with great positioning. This is one of the aspects that surprised me the most with the Z1R, because they're so good in that too; Not as good as the 800S, definitely. But considering they're fully closed, it's still remarkable.

I've been using the 800S when the room is totally quiet (I've noticed that to my ears any noise reduces their quality, even a light fan hum kills low level detail) and the Z1R the rest of the time.. I just find the latter more enjoyable overall.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #5,592 of 6,519
Oh my dear wallet :joy:

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #5,593 of 6,519

Outstanding. Became my main set.
It's strangely similar to the 800S in overall tonality, but with better bass/sub-bass, not just in quantity but especially in quality. They sound incredibly full-bodied and realistic.

I like the 800S for gaming, they still have really impressive airy, spacious holographic sound, with great positioning. This is one of the aspects that surprised me the most with the Z1R, because they're so good in that too; Not as good as the 800S, definitely. But considering they're fully closed, it's still remarkable.

I've been using the 800S when the room is totally quiet (I've noticed that to my ears any noise reduces their quality, even a light fan hum kills low level detail) and the Z1R the rest of the time.. I just find the latter more enjoyable overall.

I would go the opposite actually (but that depends on your upstream rig), the Z1R has more bass, but quality, detail, texture and control goes to the HD800S. I found the Z1R's bass a bit sloppy in comparison and it leaked into the mids somewhat. That was on 3 different rigs: Sony's new $3k flagship Walkman, their new desktop amp/DAC and from a WA5LE. The HD800S/HD800 are a tough nut to crack to get the best out of them as they are very revealing of what's upstream. For a closed headphone however, the Z1R's are definitely in my top 3 to date.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #5,594 of 6,519
ok, if you really want to see how good the HD800 S are I suggest listening to Melissa Menago album Little Crimes.  Recorded in a church in Brooklyn in the middle of a rain storm... wow.. no wonder it won the Chesky records shootout.. amazing album... shows just how incredible the HD800 S are.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #5,595 of 6,519
  ok, if you really want to see how good the HD800 S are I suggest listening to Melissa Menago album Little Crimes.  Recorded in a church in Brooklyn in the middle of a rain storm... wow.. no wonder it won the Chesky records shootout.. amazing album... shows just how incredible the HD800 S are.

Thanks for the suggestion, just got it and it is an awesome recording indeed. Quite binaural.
It's a very acoustic/vocal album, light on bass, so it does suit the 800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back