Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jun 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4,831 of 6,514
Hey Sheldaze, ya I think probably I would prefer SS's crisp precise sound which I tend to enjoy although maybe I would like some tubes? Do you recommend any for the HD 800 S ?

I think you are totally right Shel, Yggy might be the way to go. :D

Any thoughts on SS amps or specific tubes?
If i were you i whould pick Headamp and Yggy:)

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #4,832 of 6,514
I recently bought an HDVA 600 which is connected to my HD800S headphones using the stock balanced cable with a Musical Fidelity MX-DAC connected via Van Damme XLR cables. While the soundstage is wide as expected with pronounced separation between voices and instruments, the bass is fulsome, the HDVA 600 seems to add a little brightness to tracks like Little L by Jamiroquai, Missing by Everything But The Girl and 'S Wonderful by Diana Krall. In 'S Wonderful 's' sounds seem to be quite strong.  

The equipment is connected to my PC (Tidal Hi-Fi and FLAC files), but as the cable run is about 1 metre perhaps using a balanced amplifier is overkill. I'm not entirely sure there's any substantial difference in sound quality between balanced and single ended at least as far as the HDVA 600 is concerned. The treble seems so far more pronounced than my Chord Mojo, but the HDVA 600 with the MX-DAC is seemingly able to produce subtly more detail (in minor percentage terms).

Would using a warmer amplifier help? I'm thinking of replacing it with either a Burson Soloist SL Mk II or Violectric V200 which apparently has a warmer sound signature. I'll give the HDVA 600 a further test, otherwise it's off to the classifieds.

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #4,834 of 6,514
I recently bought an HDVA 600 which is connected to my HD800S headphones using the stock balanced cable with a Musical Fidelity MX-DAC connected via Van Damme XLR cables. While the soundstage is wide as expected with pronounced separation between voices and instruments, the bass is fulsome, the HDVA 600 seems to add a little brightness to tracks like Little L by Jamiroquai, Missing by Everything But The Girl and 'S Wonderful by Diana Krall. In 'S Wonderful 's' sounds seem to be quite strong.  

The equipment is connected to my PC (Tidal Hi-Fi and FLAC files), but as the cable run is about 1 metre perhaps using a balanced amplifier is overkill. I'm not entirely sure there's any substantial difference in sound quality between balanced and single ended at least as far as the HDVA 600 is concerned. The treble seems so far more pronounced than my Chord Mojo, but the HDVA 600 with the MX-DAC is seemingly able to produce subtly more detail (in minor percentage terms).

Would using a warmer amplifier help? I'm thinking of replacing it with either a Burson Soloist SL Mk II or Violectric V200 which apparently has a warmer sound signature. I'll give the HDVA 600 a further test, otherwise it's off to the classifieds.

Perhaps it would be simpler to keep using the Mojo until you are ready to buy something that's a real upgrade, like Hugo TT.

It seems to me you're about to starting buying lots of bits and pieces and you'll eventually end up spending the equivalent in cost of TT (or similar), but have something far worse.

I hate seeing people spending dribs and drabs of money and ending up with really poor value after all that time, effort and money.

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,835 of 6,514
Perhaps it would be simpler to keep using the Mojo until you are ready to buy something that's a real upgrade, like Hugo TT.

It seems to me you're about to starting buying lots of bits and pieces and you'll eventually end up spending the equivalent in cost of TT (or similar), but have something far worse.

I hate seeing people spending dribs and drabs of money and ending up with really poor value after all that time, effort and money.

Thanks for the advice. I think I made a mistake with the HDVA 600 so I'll most likely sell it and maybe persevere with the Mojo and listen to music properly.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,836 of 6,514
  Thanks for the advice. I think I made a mistake with the HDVA 600 so I'll most likely sell it and maybe persevere with the Mojo and listen to music properly.

You might want to look at post #11047 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/11040#post_12617770

Just some generally good advice from someone with a lot of experience.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #4,838 of 6,514
  I have an HD 800 S and absolutely love it! Upgraded from HD 650 and man what a huge difference.

Right now I am running a Burson Conductor SL 9018 and although it seems like quite a nice DAC + AMP, I can't help but feel the 800 S can do a lot more. Especially since when A-Bing between my motherboard sound card (which has a amp+dac built in) and the Burson I only found the Burson to be slightly better.

My budget is up to about 5,000 $ total but less would be great.

For Amps I'm thinking of the Simaudio Moon neo 430 HA, Ragnarok, Master 9, Auralis MK 2, headamp gsx Mk 2

For DACs I'm thinking On board DAC of the 430 HA, Yggy [Im leaning heavily towards Yggy], Master 7.

Any thoughts on these or votes for any other options?

5k and you want to stay SS easy choice GS-X mk2...... For Dac that's going to be a harder choice, just make sure it's fully balanced

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #4,839 of 6,514

I have both amps you have mentioned and between them I prefer the v200. It has a wider soundstage and considerably more clarity than the Soloist.
Still, I also use the Valhalla with upgraded tubes and indeed this is my favourite set up with the HD800S at the moment.
All amps are fed either by a Cyrus CD8 SE2 or a RWAK120.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #4,840 of 6,514

The HDVA600 may not be adding brightness when paired with the HD-800S, it maybe portraying a more accurate rendition of the recording compared to the Chord Mojo.

If you give the HDVA600 more time with the HD-800S, you may grow to love it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #4,841 of 6,514
If i were you i whould pick Headamp and Yggy:)

5k and you want to stay SS easy choice GS-X mk2...... For Dac that's going to be a harder choice, just make sure it's fully balanced

Guys what about the Master 9 or Rag as the amp to drive the 800 S? Mk2 looks good but wondering if I can get away with saving $1000 + and still get pretty much same sound quality ?

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #4,842 of 6,514
I second the Hugo TT with the HD650. It's endgame territory, especially for the the DAC in there. If your ship comes in later, you can add a high end amp you like to the mix later.
(I use a top Rudistor myself in this chain, but the TT is nice on it's own, with a direct wire-with-gain sound. The Rudistor adds a tube like glow. Or you can pick a tube amp of your liking.)

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #4,844 of 6,514

Guys what about the Master 9 or Rag as the amp to drive the 800 S? Mk2 looks good but wondering if I can get away with saving $1000 + and still get pretty much same sound quality ?

I don't understand the physics behind the why, but my ears dislike my Rag and 800 S. That's why I listed the solid states that I've heard in the order that I did. And I concur, based on my listening the Mk2, with the posts that it could be your best solution. You may also want to look here, where a similar conclusion was made:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-my-take-headphone-amps

I also did not include the Black Widow, based on your personal taste (though it sounds really good). To reiterate, I ordered from least to greatest, based on your taste:

1. Master 9 (or something in the family)
  2. Moon NEO 430HA
  3. GS-X Mk2

The Violectric V281 seems to have potential - I've not personally heard it.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #4,845 of 6,514

The HDVA 600 if i'm not wrong was made for the original HD800 , so there are no reason that it adds  Sibilance to your 800S , i have some sibilance  with certain records ( Diana Krall and Katie Melua ), but it's tamed down a lot now ! I have a 1 month old AUDIO GD 27H and a 3 weeks old HD800S , i don't know if that's the burn in of the DacAmp or the 800S . I guess you might let somes times for break in to your equipment if they are new !  Sorry for my English i'm French !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back