Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jun 2, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #4,681 of 6,504
This post in another thread sums the HD800S up well. It's very resolving, which is what I also observed comparing to my LCD3's. I hear a lot more detail across the spectrum, and therefore, enjoy them more than the Audeze.

I've spent the last couple of days evaluating 4490 and Gumby using my headphone rig, and I seriously started to doubt my state of mind when I made the above comments because through my Valhalla / HD600 I was struggling to hear any notable difference between the 4490 and Gumby and even my existing Uberfrost!  However I managed to borrow a pair of the newly released HD800S, and the difference between the DACs on my headphone rig was finally revealed.

Lesson to self: identifying the weakest link in your chain is crucial if you are trying to hear fine differences between DACs.  In my case the weakest link was my HD600.  A part of my wishes I'd never heard the HD800S, because now I KNOW what I'm missing out on!!!...

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #4,682 of 6,504
  Can someone with experience with ether the Black Dragon V2 or Cardas Clear, using HD800 S could give us some impressions between stock and ether one of these cables.

Cheers,

Sure, see:

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,683 of 6,504
Can someone tell me if the 'head fit' of the HD800S is supposed to be loose?  I'm trying to work out if the pair I am demo'ing are supposed to be loose fitting or if the previous user had a massive head that stretched them!  My head is narrower than average but the HD600 fit me very tightly, almost vice-like.  I demo'd MrSpeakers Ether last year and they were looser, but not as loose as the HD800S.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #4,684 of 6,504
Could any of you more experience head-fiers recommend me some Amp/DAC upgrade for HD800S from Bifrost Multibit + Lyr 2 ?

I was thinking about giving a try to Woo Audio WA2, would it be good choice ?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

ps : Anyone knows how long such an amp lasts ? 2-5-10 years ? (WA2)

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #4,685 of 6,504
  Can someone tell me if the 'head fit' of the HD800S is supposed to be loose?  I'm trying to work out if the pair I am demo'ing are supposed to be loose fitting or if the previous user had a massive head that stretched them!  My head is narrower than average but the HD600 fit me very tightly, almost vice-like.  I demo'd MrSpeakers Ether last year and they were looser, but not as loose as the HD800S.

I think everything you've said is correct. HD600 are pretty tight. I like the design of MrSpeakers and think they fit quite naturally. The HD800S is a little loose, but not enough that I could not walk around the house with it on.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,686 of 6,504
  Could any of you more experience head-fiers recommend me some Amp/DAC upgrade for HD800S from Bifrost Multibit + Lyr 2 ?

I was thinking about giving a try to Woo Audio WA2, would it be good choice ?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

ps : Anyone knows how long such an amp lasts ? 2-5-10 years ? (WA2)

I feel there's been more activity in the HD800 thread, starting around post #22683.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4,687 of 6,504
  I feel there's been more activity in the HD800 thread, starting around post #22683.

Ah I see, but does it also apply to HD800S ? I would expect that they might also go well with different amps because of changed sound signature.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4,688 of 6,504

Sure, see:

Cheers Mate, great review, I'm also a current sub on your PhotoTristan Youtube channel, don't know how I miss this one. I enjoyed the
Mjolnir 2 review nice amp.

The price of the Cardas is a bit steep here in Oz just a hair over 1k, Drew's Black Dragon is a little bit cheaper at $643.20 still quite expensive

As much as I liked your impressions of the Cardas the price and my previous experience with Dragon cables is pulling me in that direction....

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #4,689 of 6,504

Ah I see, but does it also apply to HD800S ? I would expect that they might also go well with different amps because of changed sound signature.

In my experience, the HD800 has been more picky. But what has worked well for it has worked well for HD800S.

I would phrase another way - I come to the conclusion more quickly (most of the time) when listening to HD800 that I dislike a particularly amplifier. I might sit for a few minutes longer with HD800S before I declare the same dislike.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4,690 of 6,504
  Cheers Mate, great review, I'm also a current sub on your PhotoTristan Youtube channel, don't know how I miss this one. I enjoyed the
Mjolnir 2 review nice amp.

The price of the Cardas is a bit steep here in Oz just a hair over 1k, Drew's Black Dragon is a little bit cheaper at $643.20 still quite expensive

As much as I liked your impressions of the Cardas the price and my previous experience with Dragon cables is pulling me in that direction....

Check eBay. You can likely find it for less. In my case, the seller accepted my 'best offer' for less. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,691 of 6,504

Check eBay. You can likely find it for less. In my case, the seller accepted my 'best offer' for less. 

We have cables at different price points on eBay and on our website.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 3, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #4,692 of 6,504
I've got to say that so far, I'm actually pretty happy with the HD800S, It's crystal clear and I would actually go as far as saying that it wins my head over LCD-3 for sure, the only thing that could make this even better is better bass punchiness, just a little bit more would be better, the quality of the bass is really good, the rest, the soundstage for example is no longer a complete "somewhere out there" experience but more of a In the same room.

I could very well see the HD800S as being a main while LCD-3 being a secondary every now and again using it, keeping it for the collection.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #4,693 of 6,504
In my experience while the hd800 pairs best with a warm tube amp, especially an Otl, this is not necessarily the case with the hd800s. If anything I find it too warm. I wish they didn't touch the bass. Something like the Auralic Taurus may be a better match with the hd800s than a tube amp...

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #4,694 of 6,504
  I've got to say that so far, I'm actually pretty happy with the HD800S, It's crystal clear ............

Yep…as I continue to get a grasp of the 800S character I was swapping between the LCD2.2s and even though the Audeze does work on its own…. as soon as I plop on the Senns it’s like someone corrected the focus.... all this instrument definition, layering and depth come into play and it’s not subtle...not to mention a wonderful tonal balance.
The base is also quite rewarding and as you mentioned overall the 800s are crystal clear…..no sibilance unless its on the recording…

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #4,695 of 6,504
In my experience while the hd800 pairs best with a warm tube amp, especially an Otl, this is not necessarily the case with the hd800s. If anything I find it too warm. I wish they didn't touch the bass. Something like the Auralic Taurus may be a better match with the hd800s than a tube amp...

Swapping between HD800 and HD800S, I still have not found many solid state amplifiers that I like, with either headphone.

Truth told, I have not heard many solid state options. But thus far I have disliked my Schiit Ragnarok and Meridian Prime. I have liked Audio-GD NFB-27H and Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I have heard, and assume I would like the Cavalli Liquid Gold - but I was not listening to Sennheiser at the time. I have heard the Questyle CMA800R, run using two separate amplifiers, one per channel - this I liked. I am looking forward to hearing Simaudio Moon NEO 430HAD and 230HAD.

My writing is wandering - my basic point is I disagree in the statement that HD800 is good with tubes and HD800S is good with solid state. I have found many more options with tubes that in my opinion work with both headphones. On solid state, I've been considerably more picky, and this applies equally to HD800 and HD800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back