Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jun 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #4,651 of 6,504
The Instrument separation, imaging, speed, bass accuracy, soundstage and decay on the HD700 is very good. The treble peak not so good. That being said, where the treble peak is, it makes violins and acoustic music sound amazing.

For the price it's pretty incredible. Mine cost me £300 new. The HD800S cost me £1200.

If sennheiser released a HD700S I'd be all over it.

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,652 of 6,504
I don't see how a HD800S could replace a LCD3. Those are different beasts imo. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #4,653 of 6,504
  I don't see how a HD800S could replace a LCD3. Those are different beasts imo. 

HD700 replacing LCD-3 does the job somewhat but just not good enough, it sounds veiled and maybe even with background noise at times which is probably recording, but otherwise HD700 I like and it's a keeper anyway, the only thing I would complain about HD700 are the pads they've been torn somewhat and I've had to glue them, no easily accessible replaceable parts or even places where to get them, but still all that time HD700 are still working just like when I've bought them.

I'm not a light headphone user, it's not a "replacement for the night times when people are sleeping" I'm using them at day too and rarely use my speakers - mostly for the occasion of movie watching when I'm not the only one watching or when I just want nothing on my head.

Regarding my original question - I understand that for DIY people it's recommended getting HD800 stock and modify them which will make them very good, but how about getting HD800S which are better than HD800 stock and perhaps later we'll also have some modifications to clear the downsides of HD800S

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #4,654 of 6,504
If you're buying new and you're into the search for a replacement for your LCD3 , the HD800S is the better choice. No question. Choose a place with a good return policy :) 

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #4,655 of 6,504

So, are the HD800S worth it? I've heard them when I was in Ukraine a few months ago but didn't really get too much into them as much as I wanted to hear the special amplifier that will (hopefully) get reviewed by Jude (yes, the same amplifier I was talking about some time ago on either this thread or the HD800 thread I don't remember where I posted exactly)

can you tell the name of the amp that you talking about?

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,656 of 6,504

can you tell the name of the amp that you talking about?

I'll give you a hint - It's Ukrainian made. When you find the answer post here :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,657 of 6,504
  HD700 replacing LCD-3 does the job somewhat but just not good enough, it sounds veiled and maybe even ..............

Well no downsides to the “S”s that I can tell so far, maybe still not as forgiving as the Audeze or the 700s but definitely not as analytical as the original 800s, no lack of detail or extension in the highs just more natural sounding.
Can’t speak for the LCD-3s but my LCD2.2s definitely lack the upper treble extension and clarity, somewhat similar in the midrange, base is a bit more extended on the 2.2s but tighter overall on the S’s.  The S’s win hands down for stage width, distinctive layering and detail but overall they really are two different phones and not really competing with one another. The 700s are a somewhat of a rogue brother to the 800s.... not as sophisticated but still charming non the less.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4,658 of 6,504
Also I posted my opinion on it but it wasn't on an HD800 thread, it was in the HE-1000 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/7110#post_12301358

still relevant to this thread

I've linked the first message, the teaser, then goes the details, though still without the name.
Declaration: I'm not working for the company that is selling it, I just happen to be a Ukrainian + Patriot and I've been to the store where they officially distribute it and checked it out through different cans, I haven't tested HD800S through them, though I did try it in general, but through the cans that I did use there, the HE-1000 and LCD-3 (Of course to compare how much different the HE-1000 are from my LCD-3's) and I was really pleasantly surprised with this setup.

It was like being transported into a different dimension where the music surrounds you, it's only you and the music, the different elements, 3D Soundstage and Imaging was jaw dropping, I had to say stop at some point because it was getting late there yes I spent about 2 hours with it pretty much alone in a quiet room, was a quiet day that day at the store :p

But yes, I swear it's good. I'm comparing to my own system right now which is also not bad.

The device in question costs $2500 I wouldn't be surprised if they would up the price, though that's not how business works :p

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #4,659 of 6,504

Is the HD800S worth it? Compared to the LCD3 at almost twice the price, I'm pretty sure it is.

Got both, they are completely different headphones. Those two are not similar so that you could say one is better than the other.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4,660 of 6,504

Got both, they are completely different headphones. Those two are not similar so that you could say one is better than the other.

But selling your LCD-3F nonetheless... :wink:

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4,661 of 6,504

But selling your LCD-3F nonetheless... :wink:

Heh yea. They are great headphones, but I can't keep both (HD800S & LCD-3F). They are actually nice complementary headphones in my opinion.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4,662 of 6,504
If you predominantly listen to hip hop, electronic, R&B, rock, vocals, trip hop, dubstep, then go with the LCD 3

Acoustic, pop, classical, vocals, live performances, movies, gaming go with he HD800S.

To a degree both can be used to enjoy all genres.

The 800S is technically superior.

The LCD 3 is more musical for more genres, given one choice.

The 800S will most probably be more comfortable.

The 800S is more precision built and will most likely last longer.

The LCD that comes to your door could sound very different to the LCD you audition.

This won't happen with the HD800S.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4,663 of 6,504
Can’t speak for the LCD-3s but my LCD2.2s definitely lack the upper treble extension and clarity, somewhat similar in the midrange, base is a bit more extended on the 2.2s but tighter overall on the S’s.  The S’s win hands down for stage width, distinctive layering and detail but overall they really are two different phones and not really competing with one another.

Yes I agree with you and the tonal quality and timbre is more accurate. There's also more air between the instruments with a blacker background. Unfortunately, my LCD F and HD 650 see very limited play time. For the type of music I listen to the S performs better.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4,665 of 6,504
I sold my LCD-3's after getting the HD800S and am enjoying them more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back