Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,526 of 6,504

when ever you hear always, never take it literally. Go hang out at gear slutz and see how often its warned against. 
The article says 
"Mixing on cans is often frowned upon" 

Semantics... but still know that it is warned against. And quite often so. That is not to say it can't be done. It is just that a treated room with good monitors will usually sound more balanced 9/10. Know your gear. oh and lets not for get the rest of the title statement

"with only occasional checks on monitor speakers." hmmmm monitor speakers are still needed. Headphones never are.

Afrojack sells alot of records and he uses his laptop and the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro alot. He isn't doing too badly since he has a Ferrari.

3 days ago it was unveiled his new bugatti chiron , I guess dj a good gig.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,527 of 6,504
  Treble is piercing to whome? At least not for me (with good recordings i.e. not modern music bad 'loudness war' mixing-mastering 'VV' shaped supercompression tricks)...

much more mportant, why Innerfidelity has still not analysed/reviewed Sennheiser HD800S (and some other too) ... maybe its good to read
Manufacturers Guide to Submitting Headphones for Review at InnerFidelity

Heightened treble is piercing to everyone. At what volume each person finds treble to be heightened will differ from person to person.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #3,528 of 6,504
Afrojack sells alot of records and he uses his laptop and the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro alot. He isn't doing too badly since he has a Ferrari.

Material wealth isn't a reliable indicator of the guy's production chops. If anything it suggests he's more of a poser, courting media attention and being a superstar DJ, than a serious producer. The loudness wars go to show that a lot of mainstream EDM and pop is far from being the golden standard when it comes to production. I'd be more inclined to look at the working practices of less well-known, more serious producers and I've rarely read interviews with any who express a preference for mixing with headphones over monitors.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,529 of 6,504
when ever you hear always, never take it literally. Go hang out at gear slutz and see how often its warned against. 
The article says 
"Mixing on cans is often frowned upon" 

Semantics... but still know that it is warned against. And quite often so. That is not to say it can't be done. It is just that a treated room with good monitors will usually sound more balanced 9/10. Know your gear. oh and lets not for get the rest of the title statement

"with only occasional checks on monitor speakers." hmmmm monitor speakers are still needed. Headphones never are.

He produces... That's not the final mix and master

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #3,530 of 6,504
Mar 3, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,532 of 6,504
  Tyll is will make an update within the next few days. 

any idea which amp or amps he will be using with HD800 S?

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #3,534 of 6,504

any idea which amp or amps he will be using with HD800 S?

I'm using the Moon 430HA

Good.
Hopefully other reviewers got their 'review samples' too.

My understanding is that there are VERY few demo units to circulate among reviewers. I was told I can only have them for a week.

My article should go up Saturday...should be an interesting read for y'all.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,535 of 6,504

I'm using the Moon 430HA

My understanding is that there are VERY few demo units to circulate among reviewers. I was told I can only have them for a week.

Thank You!
And I think everybody here is waiting!
PS! Sad that everything is not going as wished at www.innerfidelity.com/content/manufacturers-guide-submitting-headphones-review-innerfidelity

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #3,536 of 6,504

I'm using the Moon 430HA

Which DAC did you used with Moon 430HA?
Thanks Tyll.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,538 of 6,504

Which DAC did you used with Moon 430HA?
[...]

Could be, that he is using, that as mentioned on MOON's website - Moon 430HA 'Optional DAC' is added ('built-in') version:

[...]Optional DAC with four (4) digital inputs (S/PDIF x 2, TosLink x 1 & USB x 1) allowing for use with virtually any digital source; Supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 (USB input only); Supports PCM 16/44.4kHz to 24/192kHz (all inputs) and up to PCM 32/384kHz (USB input only)[...]

But sure, it could be whatever.. also some better one

EDIT: if MOON's amplifier has 'add on' DAC board, then name would be Moon 430HAD
'optional DSD/32-bit PCM DAC (800USD), utilizing the TOTL ESS Sabre 9018K2M chip'

Tyll's review http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/neutral-reference-headphone-amp-simaudio-moon-neo-430ha

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,539 of 6,504
Well then

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3,540 of 6,504
I'll be taking my son to see to see Joe Satriani, Bryan Beller and Marco Minnemann in concert on Monday night. I hope they sound as good as they do through the S. Maybe I'll have to ask the bass player to turn up. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back